Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider WSU-CU to be a 'rivalry'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ShockerFever, I really don't look at CU as elitist or arrogant. I have found all of them that I've personally met to be nice hard working people.
    CU is a nice small school in a nice mid-size midwestern town with limited to no on-campus athletic facilities and living in a red shadow.

As far as the rivalry issue, it IS INDEED sad that we don't have a basketball rival.

Comment

Very interesting question.

I voted no, but I do wonder why CU consistently has record or near record crowds when we play there, when they own us in Omaha and seem to more than hold their own against us in Wichita.

The only thing I can think of is that there have been some real barn burner games over the years, and the basketball drama has been pretty intense.

No question the Tulsa "rivalry" had its roots in the Smithson-Richardson era. As a student, I loved it when our rag tag football team would punk theirs.

I don't know why their fans would hate WSU unless it's the WSU fans and their attitudes they don't appreciate.... :whistle:

Lord knows no Shocker fan ever had an attitude about other schools in the Valley. And when you look at our record versus CU, BU, SIU, Tulsa and other schools over the past 20 years or so, you have to wonder where that attitude comes from... :lol:
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

SF, undoubtedly there is a rivalry between CU and WSU. Webster's defines a rivalry as "to be in competition with...to strive to equal or excel" and that definitely describes the February 14th game when Matt's three-point shots brought down the House. No, I take that back. That evening was not a rivalry; it was a reckoning.

Comment

As far as a Valley rivalry goes I guess you could call CU and MSU rivals of ours. But it really fails in comparisson to any real rivalries elsewhere. And neither can hold a candle to Tulsa.

I dislike both schools, but it doesn't have the raw emotion of what I think of in a rivalry.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

rivalry

it is laughable to say WSU is too good for the Valley. Really, I guess we are so good that we've never won a men's basketball tourney since moving to St Louis, never even been to the finals. We have but one lone regular season championship in 20+ years. Yep, too good for the Valley. CU, SIU have down seasons, we have down decades. Get a freaking grip

WSU fans hate CU for the same reason KSU fans hate KU in hoops, it is because we can't beat them but once in a decade or so.

Let's be real - a rivalry needs both schools to win periodically and that just doesnt happen for us against CU or SIU.

Comment

Re: rivalry

Originally posted by Sundevil Shox
              it is laughable to say WSU is too good for the Valley. Really, I guess we are so good that we've never won a men's basketball tourney since moving to St Louis, never even been to the finals. We have but one lone regular season championship in 20+ years. Yep, too good for the Valley. CU, SIU have down seasons, we have down decades. Get a freaking grip

WSU fans hate CU for the same reason KSU fans hate KU in hoops, it is because we can't beat them but once in a decade or so.

Let's be real - a rivalry needs both schools to win periodically and that just doesnt happen for us against CU or SIU.
              Outrageous!!!! :shock:

Come to think of it, does WSU have any rivalries with any team in basketball where we have a winning record?

:lol:

:goshocks:
              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
              X