Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider WSU-CU to be a 'rivalry'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you consider WSU-CU to be a 'rivalry'?

I've recently been tapping into the topic over at VT. I'm curious to see what some of you think. Is WSU-CU a rivalry?

The few CU fans who have commented on the issue say it's just another game to them. I don't think there's any surprise that we constantly sell out their rented Qwiet Center whenever we come to town. I think there is definitely a distinct 'hate' between the two fanbases. For one reason or another, CU fans have a tough time admitting this. I personally think it's an egotistical/elitist thing for them. They're 'too good' for us to be labeled as a rival with them.

Thoughts?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

We don't have any rivals in the MVC. Be belong in CUSA where there are real ahtletes and where our real rival is.. Tulsa.

To be a rival you need to be similar. Creighton and SIU-C are mid-major programs, Wichita State is not.

T

...8)

Comment

I just don't care much for the Valley anymore. Tulsa was a rivalry - gone. I also like seeing a number of other schools that are also long gone. CU and MSU are the only ones I care much about, probably because of location and the baseball. I can't get excited about Drake or UNI and I care even less about the eastern schools than they care about us (if that's possible).

Comment

I realize Tulsa was and is always THE rival. The fact we haven't played each other in about 4 years doesn't help matters.

I'm simply asking if you think there's a certain level of hate displayed for this school and all its cornucopia of Blowmahans that you don't see in any other schools we play.. and by play, I mean play regularly (Tulsa doesn't fit that bill anymore).

I don't think there's any team I'd rather beat at this point than the BJ's. You can disagree. If you do, I'd like to know which team you'd rather beat more so.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
          I just don't care much for the Valley anymore. Tulsa was a rivalry - gone. I also like seeing a number of other schools that are also long gone. CU and MSU are the only ones I care much about, probably because of location and the baseball. I can't get excited about Drake or UNI and I care even less about the eastern schools than they care about us (if that's possible).
          Which is why we need to initiate the move to CUSA by firing up the football program! :D

Imagine Tulsa and Wichita on the gridiron!

Memphis in the hiz-house!

Rice on the ball diamond!

It would be a great step and breath of fresh air for our program!

I watched a game the other night between Memphis and UCF and was astounded by the athleticism displayed. Sure UCF is 4-8 but the team I saw gave Memphis a scare and would absolutely CRUSH us.

Tons of athleticism in that league! Great exposure in massive media markets! Football!

Sign me up!

T

...8)

Comment

Why didn't we leave when this team did?

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
              Why didn't we leave when this team did?

T

...8)
              Cuz we weren't asked?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

That sux.

T

...8)

Comment

You may or may not agree. But to me, a Rivalry is when you are having a miserable, miserable season (sound familiar), and the season is suddenly resurrected because you beat that one specific school and the world is suddenly bright once again. Army/Navy - USC/UCLA - Michigan/OS are just a few that come to mind.

I can't really comment on CU. When I attended WU, they were one of the schools we played at the very first of the season, basically an exhibition game. Tulsa was our rival. But any win against KU or KS would probably also fit my definition even though we do not play them often.

Comment

THE QUESTION YOU OVER OFFICIOUS JERK!

Back on point......

Yes it is a rivalry but for this reason which will come as a surprise to most people.

For reasons I cannot explain, Nebraska fans have a deep seeded hatred for Wichita State. I think maybe because we are closer to OU that they think we are in with the Sooners or something like that.

To summarize....there is no Creighton fan base.....Nebraska's football fans are loaned to them as long as they are successful and THAT'S ALL.

The 5 VT posters and the 7 others at the BJCafe would kill or die to have been athletic for 3 seconds in their pathetic lives. They are all simply holding their collective breath hoping Tom Osborn will someday return to walk the sidelines at Lincoln Memorial Stadium and they can go back to bandwaggoning the sport they TRULY love to bandwaggon.

From our point of view, anytime we can take down the Bishop and his merry band of arrogant followers that wouldn't even fill the table at the last supper is alright by me.

Comment

Because I presented an opinion as to what a rivalry is, I'm a Jerk?

Thanks a lot, Doc. You need to cool down.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                        Because I presented an opinion as to what a rivalry is, I'm a Jerk?

Thanks a lot, Doc. You need to cool down.

60, that was in no way, shape, or form intended for you. Sorry for the misunderstanding...check your PM.

Comment

I don't consider CU a heated rival at all and certainly don't think of them as arrogant, elitist, etc... There might be some potential for MSU and CU to eventually be rivals of WSU but they have a very very long way to go to meet the bitterness of the Shox losing to a Tulsa team.

Tulsa was a rival in all sports. OSU is a rival in baseball. CU is just a Valley team that has extremely nice fans , a long term affable and humble coach, and a nice rented city arena. CU has a lot for which to be proud, but are certainly not a rival of the Shox.

I believe WSU is simply too good for the Valley. How many teams get pumped up to play at Koch or Eck in contrast to how many teams or venues do the Shox get pumped up to visit?

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas
                            I don't consider CU a heated rival at all and certainly don't think of them as arrogant, elitist, etc... There might be some potential for MSU and CU to eventually be rivals of WSU but they have a very very long way to go to meet the bitterness of the Shox losing to a Tulsa team.

Tulsa was a rival in all sports. OSU is a rival in baseball. CU is just a Valley team that has extremely nice fans , a long term affable and humble coach, and a nice rented city arena. CU has a lot for which to be proud, but are certainly not a rival of the Shox.

I believe WSU is simply too good for the Valley. How many teams get pumped up to play at Koch or Eck in contrast to how many teams or venues do the Shox get pumped up to visit?
                            Perfection!

T

...8)

Comment

certainly don't think of them as arrogant, elitist, etc...
                              You're joking, right?

Tulsa was a rival in all sports.
                              I'm very well aware that Tulsa was our rival. Since that has fallen off, then I guess you think we don't have a rival in basketball. That would be sad, if true.

How many teams get pumped up to play at Koch or Eck in contrast to how many teams or venues do the Shox get pumped up to visit?
                              I can definitely agree with that one.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X