Roster evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roster evaluation

My evaluation of our current roster in regards to players who are slated to return next year. Feel free to chime in but please keep it limited to the players, on the court. This topic has nothing to do with how anyone feels about the coaches.

Point Guard
    Hannah - Good but streaky shooter. Shows flashes of being a good point guard but struggles to understand his role from game to game. Slow to make adjustments. After 2.5 years of playing some form of college ball I can't help but think he lacks the bball IQ to be a consistently effective PG. He's servicable, but a stop-gap until Manigault takes over as a sophomore.

Shooting Guard
    Murry - He has all the skills and confidence to become all-league. And he's just a freshman. Building-block for the future.

Chamberlain - He's not a PG. He's a shooter who can handle the ball in a pinch. If used that way he will be an effective backup to Murry.

Hatch - He may be 6'4", but he's not a Div-1 SF except when absolutely necessary. His effort can be a spark but if we're depending on that, we're in deep doo-doo.

Kyles - I don't really know where he fits. Not a good enough shooter to be a SG. Lacks the size, but has the athleticism to be a SF. Has the tools to develop into a nice combo player if, and that's a BIG if, he can demonstrate some bball IQ. I fear he will continually struggle in this area.

Small Forward
    Hawkins - Another guy with all the tools but has no idea how to effectively use them. Seems like he should be a leader on the court but won't assert himself.

Power Forward
    Ellis - SF mentality and build but with PF height. Foul and turnover prone, seems to lack confidence and bball IQ. I hate to say it but Ellis needs to either accept that at this level he's a role player or transfer to a smaller school to play against others with similar deficiencies.

Center
    Durley - At his size he should be playing PF. But until EO or another center gets here, he's a center. He's frustrating because you can see him teetering on the edge of "getting it". He needs to be pushed until he does. When that happens, he could be an all-Valley player.

Stutz - His offensive skills haven't translated to D1 production as well as we hoped. His mind needs to catch up with the speed of the game. A little further behind defensively than I thought. Missing some fundamentals in this area but clearly has upside and is another building-block.

Position Analysis
    PG - We're not as deep here as once thought. That one open scholarship (assuming EO comes) for next year's class may need to go to a PG.

SG - Solid for the next two years if Chamberlain is utilized properly.

SF - Thank goodness for Mr. Coy! If that one open scholly for the 2010 class doesn't go to a PG, it may need to be used to get a SF. Kyles/Hatch/Ellis will have to suffice for SF depth.

PF - We better hope Blair is the man. Otherwise, we may see Durley slide over to PF and our quality post depth will be poor. I'm not expecting that but I can't rule it out. If Blair can give us decent production here, Hamilton can get the time he needs to develop and we'll be set.

C - In the MVC you're either going to have a true center (6'9"+) who lacks skills or an undersized guy with center skills/athleticism. Next year may still be a work-in-progress, but I think we'll be fine after that, especially if EO arrives.

Next year
    Now that we know what we have I'm not expecting a jump into the upper half of the Valley unless these things happen: Hawkins learns how to assert himself (or Coy is the real deal), Manigault brings tremendous bball IQ to the PG position, Blair gives us real production out of the PF spot, and either Durley turns the corner or Stutz makes great strides in the off-season.

In looking at the boxscores for the better games this season I've tried to find a trend for what makes this team successful on offense. Not surprising, we need to have inside-outside balance. If we are relying on our guards to do all the scoring we will fall short. In the Siena game we got 37 from Hannah/Murry, but also got 25 from Clemente/Durley/Ellis. Versus Michigan St. we got 19 from Hannah and 24 from Durley/Hawkins/Stutz. Against TexTech we got 24 from Hannah but very little post scoring. Hawkins' 18 was enough to have us in the game.

The missing piece, IMO, is consistent production from the SF position. That's what makes Hawkins (and now Coy) so crucial. Look how much better we were with Cooz there. Having him on the court made everyone else better. Defenders couldn't sag off, double-down or help. I'm hoping Coy can have the same effect.

Royal:

You missed Clemente at the Power Forward.

Comment

One great thing about Durley. He's still just a sophomore. He's got two more years after this one.

Comment

Nice post. You didn't mention that Stutz needs to do lots of weight training over the summer.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
          Royal:

I'm only addressing players slated to return next year. So no Ramon or Mantas.

Comment

Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
              Royal:

I believe Royal said his analysis covers players stlated to return next year. That woudl exclude Ramon and Mantas.

Comment

As sad as it is to admit, the only thing I'm looking at for the remainder of the season is player progress.

Comment

If AJ can't get it done, I still think trying Murry at SF with Chamberlain or Kyles at SG.

Comment

Clevin and Reggie are actually better shooters than I expected although their size makes it more difficult for them to create their own shot.

Also they are not as quick as I was expecting and that combined with their lack of size has become a deficiency on the defensive side of the ball.

Stutz does need a lot of work in the strength department but he is not the only one. I think AJ, Toure', David, and Aaron could all benefit with additional work in the weigth room.

As important as additional strength training for Garrett is improving his foot work and quickness.

If all the guys work as hard in this coming off-season as Graham did last off-season I think we will be pleased with the results.

Still we have an awful of lot of ifs and buts and wishes and hopes that need to come to fruition before we will be significantly improved.

Comment

Very enlightening post Royal. Based off your thorough and honest analysis this is what sticks out to me:

1. Retarded BBIQ is frightening (not sure how much a player can improve in this area once they’re on a D1 roster).

2. Beginning to wonder if we have a competent PG who can effectively manage the game.

3. The lack of production/talent at the SF position is damaging.

4. I certainly don’t expect us to be a whole lot better next season. We’re still going to be green with much of the same deficiencies laid out in your post. Barring a Mo Evans-type talent I never count on freshman to bring the team up in the conference ranks.

5. Gregg still has his work cut out for him on the recruiting trail. I hope he’s not too focused on sheer athleticism and that we start seeing good basketball players that actually know how to play the game (i.e. BBIQ).

Comment

I think this team is going to continue to struggle until they have a true PG. I don't believe Hannah or Chamberlain is a PG. Both of them are SG's playing point. Manigault better be as good as advertised or we're in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
                          If AJ can't get it done, I still think trying Murry at SF with Chamberlain or Kyles at SG.
                          That's an intriguing idea. It would only work if Murry has been seeing some time there in practice. If not, it's too late in the season to make that adjustment, IMO.

Comment

I like the analysis. One thing I like about where we are at is that 6 guys on our roster for next year are bonafide players at the MVC/DI level:

Hannah
                            Murray
                            Hawkins
                            Durley
                            Stutz
                            Blair

All of these guys would be in the rotation at top-notch Valley schools, but not all are starters and/or are able to contribute at their most effective position. Hatch and Chamberlain are a nice third back-up and Kyles and Ellis still have tons of up-side as well. What this means:

We are one or two players at key positions from 20+ wins. If KJ, Hamilton, EO, or Coy aren't those guys...we are in trouble.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Hawkins and Durley would be in the rotation at top-notch Valley schools? Gimme a hit of that, willya? They are BARELY in the rotation at WSU and we are winless in the MVC.

Comment

Working...
                              X