• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cdizzle
    Originally posted by ShockerFever
    Originally posted by Cdizzle
    Murray trying to do too much again.

The kid is GOOD and has skills. I'd like to see passing come out of his arsenal.
    His 6 assists is pretty weak.
    Almost canceled out with the 4 turnovers and the tough 1-on-1 shots (essentially turnovers).

I know he's a freshman. I'm just observing..
    Which are countered by his 3 steals. I don't care what year you are, that is a very nice line.
    It is an extremely nice line. I'm sure as hell aint gonna complain with the stat sheet. When I was watching, on a couple possessions, I felt he was trying to do too much when it appeared other guys were open. I know he's a freshman. I was merely just pointing it out.. His future is bright.. 8)
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The only phase of the game where they didn't do well is in making point blank shots.

Comment

LOL... Hawkins steals and dishes to Mantas for the slamma-jamma to end the game.

WSU wins 76-64. Thankfully we hit the 3-ball early. I still think too much of our offense relies on the 3. I guess as long as it goes down, right?

Overall, a nice effort. We looked good on the offensive end and held our own on the boards.

It's nice to get a W. It seems like it's been a while... Oh wait, it has.. :lol:

:posterwu:
        We won at home by 12 points thanks to the Shox making a lot of three's. You're right, if the three wasn't working tonight, this game would be very close and perhaps a loss. Our inside game is still a work in progress and missing open gimme's is very discouraging.

But a 'W' is good no matter how it was earned. Hey Coach, make these guys play HORSE for 8 hours and no shot can be farther than 10 feet from the basket. Hopefully that'll straighten things out.

Comment

I wonder which one of the players is babysitting tonight? Maybe Garrett?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
            LOL... Hawkins steals and dishes to Mantas for the slamma-jamma to end the game.

WSU wins 76-64. Thankfully we hit the 3-ball early. I still think too much of our offense relies on the 3. I guess as long as it goes down, right?

Overall, a nice effort. We looked good on the offensive end and held our own on the boards.

It's nice to get a W. It seems like it's been a while... Oh wait, it has.. :lol:

:posterwu:
            We won at home by 12 points thanks to the Shox making a lot of three's. You're right, if the three wasn't working tonight, this game would be very close and perhaps a loss. Our inside game is still a work in progress and missing open gimme's is very discouraging.

But a 'W' is good no matter how it was earned. Hey Coach, make these guys play HORSE for 8 hours and no shot can be farther than 10 feet from the basket. Hopefully that'll straighten things out.
            Agreed completely with the inside game remark. We've been hurt on both ends of the floor inside. It needs A LOT of work. But like you said, when the end result is a win, at this point, we'll take it.

It seemed like our offense 'flowed' a little better tonight, but I'm still trying to understand it. I think our guys are still trying to understand it too.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Must say a nice win
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
                Must say a nice win
                Agreed. I was expecting at the most a 5 or so point win but they played really well tonight.

Comment

Reggie can't play D..
                  Interesting observation, especially after hearing HCGM in the post game show praise Reggie for his defensive work on G-W's best player, Grayson Flittner.

Reggie gave the team a real lift in the first half with Clevin in foul trouble was was a key contributor to tonight's win.

Comment

I still think too much of our offense relies on the 3. I guess as long as it goes down, right?
                    Probably, but we got a lot of good looks close in and just could not finish, although JT was pretty solid.

Still a work in progress, but overall I thought we took a nice step forward tonight after taking a step backwards against TCU.

Comment

I agree with the inside game. Although I do think we can be a guard oriented team as long as we have guards that can get to the basket, which has been a struggle at times as well. Offensively I'm not EXTREMELY worried, although we do need to get to the basket more, even if that means guards driving it and finishing.

But our interior defense...that's another story....it needs ALOT of work still IMO. And that will be critical down the stretch this season. JT did do better, but they still got good looks down low.
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                        Reggie can't play D..
                        Interesting observation, especially after hearing HCGM in the post game show praise Reggie for his defensive work on G-W's best player, Grayson Flittner.

Reggie gave the team a real lift in the first half with Clevin in foul trouble was was a key contributor to tonight's win.
                        That statement was made after he let Flittner bury a wide open 3. He did play better after that though.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

our depth really showed tonight, last year we lose this game easily, if 3 of our starter get in foul trouble like they did tonight. Way to go Boys!!
                          :good: :clap: :wsu_posters: :goshocks:
                          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I definately agree with everyone on the inside issue. The whole first half--sometimes even as 3's were going in over and over, I kept saying, "Get it inside" because as is the nature of 3's in general, you can't rely on them game in and game out. High percentage shots are what we need to work on getting with more consistency. I swear it sometimes looks like Garrett is waiting for 'permission' before driving it inside! LOL When he starts doing quicker his game is going to open up tremendously. He's getting there.

We needed a win in the worst way and we got it and in a pretty quality way. That darned 'floppy-haired' guy for Gardner-Webb was really killing us in the first half, but the Shox must've adjusted because he wasn't as much a factor in the second. JT played pretty well--only saw a couple of defensive lapses, but overall a good game. He (like Garrett) still need to pound it inside and draw some contact, and I think that will happen as tonight for JT was better.

Overall a nice way to end the work week!

Oh... great game for Toure. And the good news is, we DO get him for the next 3 1/2 seasons!!!

:goshocks:

Comment

20 assists tonight is a positive step on offense. I liked that break away dunk by Stutz. Chamberlain is valuable off the bench and played a nice game. Toure' was ON tonight. AJ almost brought the house down but missed the alley. Durley played with purpose. It was great to see Mantas on the court producing. Clevin is providing floor leadership at the point and his best is yet to come. I also felt like we could have worked the ball inside more on GW who did not have much height.
                              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

These refs were awful - no, really!

The foul on Stutz that Marshall didn't like - didn't happen. The foul on the late 3-point shot - didn't happen. I remember at least 3 OOB calls that were just wrong at the north end. I'm glad Marshall was a long ways away from what I saw.

Screening was good first half. G-W's players had to make quick decisions. When they made the wrong decision, there was an open 3. When the 3's come within the system and the players know the plan worked, that's a confident shot. When a 3 is a result of - OMG, I'm open, should I shoot? That's probably not as good a shot.

At least the team is working on alley-oops. None of them worked. The passes weren't great. One of them even hit the rim. The timing was off with the big guys going up. It will come. It requires a very accurate pass and great timing. That's not all there yet, but the players have to work on it to get it right.

Stutz tried a couple of contested baseline drives with little success. Same thing as the alley-oops. Gotta start somewhere and work on it. Garrett needs lower-body strength and more power behind that move. If Stutz develops upper- and lower-body strength and some aggressiveness, ge's going to be a force in the future. Stutz had another dribble-drive to the hoop from half-court. This one ended with an uncontested, resounding stuff.

Late in the game Clemente got absolutely mugged on a rebound. It looked for a moment like Clemente may have been angry. Then he reached down, put an arm around the other player and helped him up. Then rubbed the back of his head. There was a ref staring down the entire encounter. Clemente must have been saying good things while rubbing the other guy's head. Smart player to recognize anger and respond a different way.

G-W created some of the interior breakdowns on D with some pretty clever plays. They were setting screens to keep another player rotating down. Sometimes it was the 3rd guy going in who finally got the good look. They were well-designed plays to break down interior D.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X