No announcement yet.

Shockers vs. Gardner-Webb In-game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I thought the officiating tonight was pretty good. From where I was sitting, just about every time the fans did a collective boooooooooooooo the refs were right.

The worst part about this game was missing too many bunnies.

GW had nice games from the Aussie and the KS kid. They aren't a bad team.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
      Personally, I thought the officiating tonight was pretty good. From where I was sitting, just about every time the fans did a collective boooooooooooooo the refs were right.

The worst part about this game was missing too many bunnies.

GW had nice games from the Aussie and the KS kid. They aren't a bad team.
      A couple of the oob plays I disagreed with but normally I don't say anything with any authority because I'm a) too far away b) I don't know wtf.

BUT there were three plays that I think they really blew. One was a foul call on Ramon near the student section on a rebound. I had a clear look at that, and it was all ball and just Ramon doing what he does best. Another foul call on Ramon, again by the student end, was a complete wtf moment. He knew the guy was going to drive on him, he knew he was in foul trouble and he stood his ground, didn't move an inch and had his arms raised like he was back home and a white cop was standing there. He didn't move his hips, or anything. He stood there, and foul. So very frustrating. Finally, Ramon had an OOB call on him where it was plain as day he wasn't the one who touched it last.

Anyways, I think some of it had to do with how he started out, and as I said during the game, he was just trying too hard and not in the good Ramon way.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
        I wonder which one of the players is babysitting tonight? Maybe Garrett?
        No. He might drop the kid. (I kid because he is a freshman.)

Just imagining Ramon as a babysitter is cracking me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
          Late in the game Clemente got absolutely mugged on a rebound. It looked for a moment like Clemente may have been angry. Then he reached down, put an arm around the other player and helped him up. Then rubbed the back of his head. There was a ref staring down the entire encounter. Clemente must have been saying good things while rubbing the other guy's head. Smart player to recognize anger and respond a different way.

G-W created some of the interior breakdowns on D with some pretty clever plays. They were setting screens to keep another player rotating down. Sometimes it was the 3rd guy going in who finally got the good look. They were well-designed plays to break down interior D.
          Yea, the G-W player had Clemente around the ankles and when he broke away he kind of kicked at him and it had potential to get ugly but both players showed very good sportsmanship there. Moments like that are why I really like a good college game.

And G-W's inside offense was amazing. 3-4 times I thought we had them stopped and they had a player going in wild and then he would find the open man over and over and over again and bam, jump shot. They also had some great inbound plays that REALLY made us look worse than we were there. Great timing, execution, etc.

Except at the end when they went 1-10 when it really mattered.

So I think the guys finally adjusted. Hopefully next time they can adjust a bit quicker.

Comment

The officiating tonight was the worst it's been all season.

There were a few times where there was absolutely no contact--I remember one incident where there was at least a foot in between players--and the foul was called.

Then there was an incident when a Shocker (Mantas, maybe?) jumped up in the paint for a shot and his entire body was redirected by the force of the opponent's body coming down on him, and no call.

If it's a physical game, fine. If it's a tight called game, fine. But you can't have both. These officials were all over the place. Absolutely brutal.

A few of the out of bounds calls, both favoring GW and favoring WSU, seemed patently wrong. Admittedly, one of them was on the opposite side of the court from my seats, so the officials were closer.

Losing Clevin for the first half after only a few minutes changed the game for us. It was good to see us still pull through.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Rosewood - I don't recall the first play you mentioned so I can't comment. The second they called because even though Ramon didn't move, his hands weren't exactly straight up and were angled over the player. The third you may be right on. That was clear at the other end of the court so I have no clue.

We've had MUCH worse officiated games at the Chuck to be complaining about tonights crew.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Yeah, they blew that OOB call.

Mantas gave us good minutes, especially in the first half.

It's been a long time since Hatch hit a 3.

Missed too many bunnies.

That is the best game I have seen Durley play. Haven't yet seen his line, but he played with some passion and energy that you seldom see. Took a couple bad shots, sure, but played much harder than usual

Stutz shoulda elbowed that Aussie hard, taken the foul, whatever. You gotta get him off.

If we can shoot like that from the outside..........If Durley can come to play every night.............If we can get that kinda play from our bench, particularly with that kind of foul trouble.......if we can hit our foul shots......we can win the valley. Not someday, but now.

Comment

Oh yes Sub, I have seen far worse. It just seemed kind of goofy, but you know me by now - I complain about all officiating because I'm really too dumb to know better.

I wish I had a good replay of the foul on Ramon because I could have sworn he was as straight up and down as they come. My angle on him was looking straight down at his face so I guess I wouldn't see a little lean. Anyways, just see the last sentance in the previous paragraph again.

Watching Ramon after he got the 4th foul, thought he was coming out and HCGM sent him back in, was quite entertaining. He was afraid to touch anyone and he stayed pretty far back.

Comment

they were definitely the most inconsistent crew we have had seen all year
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                      Oh yes Sub, I have seen far worse. It just seemed kind of goofy, but you know me by now - I complain about all officiating because I'm really too dumb to know better.

I wish I had a good replay of the foul on Ramon because I could have sworn he was as straight up and down as they come. My angle on him was looking straight down at his face so I guess I wouldn't see a little lean. Anyways, just see the last sentance in the previous paragraph again.

Watching Ramon after he got the 4th foul, thought he was coming out and HCGM sent him back in, was quite entertaining. He was afraid to touch anyone and he stayed pretty far back.
                      The funny thing is Ramon was coming out, but I think somebody had to go get Mantas off the bike first :D Ramon did come out at the next whistle and Mantas came sprinting from the tunnel
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

It doesn't surprise me that much. Kip Kissinger was one of the refs. He loves pissing WSU off. He rarely has any clue what he's doing.

I'm sure he'll somehow find a way in here and read this and then get his panties in a wad and make us all pay for his next visit into town.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Durley with 8 boards. Career high?

Comment

I was in row 7, Section 117. Yep - right in the middle of the students. I got there early and found a great place to stand and watch the game. Interesting that row 7 is actually the 5th row of seats.

I wanted to do a Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder impersonation on some of the calls.

If I was a G-W fan I'd be screaming bloody murder about moving screens by WSU. Shox were consistently late moving their feet and setting their arms for screens. Contact was made more than a few times while a Shocker screener was moving to set the pick. Those weren't getting called. Maybe what I saw as some blown calls were makeup calls for how often WSU got by with moving picks.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The whole moving screens and college basketball has me confused. There is NEVER any consistency from game to game on how or why they are or are not called. I've stopped trying to figure it out.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I hear ya Sub. I'll take up with you and agree about the officiating...it was pretty good. I can remember several calls where people all around me were screaming bloody murder and I was saying "that's the right call".

The moving screen thing is the whole college game in a nutshell for me.

They have let it get so out of hand they have no idea what to do now.

It sucks they have let a beautiful game resemble football.

Comment

Working...
                                X