New article about Kenny Manigault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aargh
    Greg Dreiling didn't have much of a vertical either. I've heard the "negative vertical leap" reference before. It was applied to Dreiling.

I watched Dreiling as a Fr. That was a while ago, but I believe Dreiling had a more polished game as a Fr than Stutz. One huge difference is the players around Dreiling compared to the players around Stutz.

Miller wasn't known for his vertical, but when he went to NBA camps, his vertical was measured at 33". Miller went through 3 years of criticism for soft defense, no hands, and not being aggressive. It was actually 3-1/2 years. When the Miller-criticizing group finally figured out Miller was doing pretty good his Sr year, they jumped on the bandwagon and now Miller is their hero.

Generally, big centers look a lot better when they're playing against younger, less mature, and less conditioned players. They look worse when they're playing against older, more mature, and better-conditioned players.

It's only the one-year big players who look good as Fr and go NBA after that year. Patrick O'Bryant was no world-beater as a So when he went pro, and he wasn't intimidating or dominating as a Fr.

The list of very good D1 big players who had hardly anything but potential their Fr year is a very long list.
    I've heard the "negative vertical leap" reference before.
    I haven't and I am taking full copywrite for it!

"Negative Vertical Leapc" -CB

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
      David Kyles will get his in time. I still remember the baseline drive at Shocker Madness. That won't be the last time we see that from him.
      Ahhh Shocker Madness.... fond memories... and Kyles was dunking over Stutz, not exactly a defensive presence at this point. Sad to say, the more I have seen of Stutz the less impressive that dunk seems to me... :cry:

Stutz will be good, perhaps VERY good, but he needs a little more time. Kyles must be really pissing the coach off because he spends a lot of time on the pine.

T

...8)

Comment

I can't wait for another reference to getting rid of HCGM, so we could turn around and lose KJ and half the team next year and start all over again. That sounds like a great plan!

Comment

Originally posted by calfan
          I can't wait for another reference to getting rid of HCGM, so we could turn around and lose KJ and half the team next year and start all over again. That sounds like a great plan!
          The person who posted that either doesn't understand how college b-ball works or thought he making a point with absurdity. My bet is on the former. Either way, best to just ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            The person who posted that either doesn't understand how college b-ball works or thought he making a point with absurdity. My bet is on the former. Either way, best to just ignore it.
            I believe it was sarcasm.

Comment

ShockerGorilla, you're right I often use sarcasm to make a point rather than directly insulting someone. Royal, I know a lot about basketball and how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02
                Garrett has sent home 2 or 3 dunks so far this year but his just aren't real flashy like the ones you see on top 10 or something. I agree hopefully Gabe will be that type of player, we need one.
                I want Dr. J dunks, the kind where the flyer leaves the floor at the free throw line.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                  Garrett has sent home 2 or 3 dunks so far this year but his just aren't real flashy like the ones you see on top 10 or something.
                  The only reason he can dunk is because he is 7' tall and can easily reach the basket.

You will not see any Sports Center top ten dunks out of him he has the vertical leap of a pigmy gnat.
                  Pigmy gnat? That's a little harsh, isn't it?

Comment

In case you had not noticed - most 7 footers do not have much vertical leap. duh Even Wilt the stilt hardly got off of the ground.

Comment

Greg Dreiling didn't have much of a vertical either. I've heard the "negative vertical leap" reference before. It was applied to Dreiling.

I watched Dreiling as a Fr. That was a while ago, but I believe Dreiling had a more polished game as a Fr than Stutz. One huge difference is the players around Dreiling compared to the players around Stutz.

Miller wasn't known for his vertical, but when he went to NBA camps, his vertical was measured at 33". Miller went through 3 years of criticism for soft defense, no hands, and not being aggressive. It was actually 3-1/2 years. When the Miller-criticizing group finally figured out Miller was doing pretty good his Sr year, they jumped on the bandwagon and now Miller is their hero.

Generally, big centers look a lot better when they're playing against younger, less mature, and less conditioned players. They look worse when they're playing against older, more mature, and better-conditioned players.

It's only the one-year big players who look good as Fr and go NBA after that year. Patrick O'Bryant was no world-beater as a So when he went pro, and he wasn't intimidating or dominating as a Fr.

The list of very good D1 big players who had hardly anything but potential their Fr year is a very long list.
                      33"?

Comment

ShockerGorilla, you're right I often use sarcasm to make a point rather than directly insulting someone. Royal, I know a lot about basketball and how it works.
                        I wasn't referring to you, but the person who insinuated a GM firing in another topic - SirShoxAlot. I thought I was clear enough. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                          Originally posted by shocks02
                          Garrett has sent home 2 or 3 dunks so far this year but his just aren't real flashy like the ones you see on top 10 or something. I agree hopefully Gabe will be that type of player, we need one.
                          I want Dr. J dunks, the kind where the flyer leaves the floor at the free throw line.
                          YES!

I'm not really picky but something like this would satisfy me in Black and Gold.

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                            Miller wasn't known for his vertical, but when he went to NBA camps, his vertical was measured at 33".
                            33"?
                            Yep. All Miller's stats from his NBA camp were on the Net and that was his vertical. I was more than shocked. His sprint from end-line to end-line was, well, let's just say - nothing spectacular.

Miller didn't have great ups early in his career and probably only developed a decent vertical over years of working with KR. Physical maturity, physical development, building the right muscles - all that stuff helps big guys, but it doesn't happen in a few months. It happens in a few years.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Can anyone find KJ's stats so far this season? While I think he is a good get, and his defensive skills are appreciated, he also needs to be able to score (especially seeing how Hannah is our big scorer this season).

Basketball rule #1 - Put the ball in the basket.
                              Basketball rule #2 - Keep your opponent from putting the ball in the basket.

Comment

Working...
                              X