Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Marshall Era Randy Smithson Redux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legitimate question. Jury's still out, but probably not. I'd take our worst scholarship player against Chris Grill in any skills challenge other than "Z Cavaricci Zodiac Shoe Coordination" and "Gold Chain Wearing" and give 3 to 1 odds (for our current players if you're confused). The players are definitely more talented, but can Marshall get them to perform? I don't think 1.25 seasons is enough to know.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

This year WSU has two 2nd-year Srs. Griskenas has been hurt so much that he's not really a second-year Sr or a factor.

WSU has two first-year Jr's. Hawkins has previous D1 experience and looks like he's starting to work out of his one-year layoff.

Successful teams usually have at least one 4th year Sr. and a 3rd year Jr.

If all the players would have stayed through the coaching change, that's what we would have had. Preadom as a 4th-year Sr and Mekel as a 3rd year Jr. That's it - and that's not much to build a team around.

Marshall had one recruiting year starting in the late signing period where he had no options other than taking those still available that he could sign. That's about the equivalent of a guarded, off-balance 3 from 25 feet as the shot clock expires.

Then Marshall had one full recruiting year when he signed some JuCos to fill spots where the situation was desparate and some Fr. Guess what - those players are first-year JuCo trfrs and Fr. Is it a surprise they're playing like what they are?

I'd prefer to see what Marshall can do when he's recruiting based on what he needs down the road than based on what he absolutely has to have to put a team on the court before I pass judgement.

Recruiting success or failure has a delayed reaction. We're seeing that delayed reaction right now and you can't put that on Marshall.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

What Aargh said. Give it some time. The horrible situation Coach Marshall inherited is slowly resolving.

Comment

Uh C0|dB|00ded I disagree. In the Valley you earn respect. Marshall will get it this year. The reason that the Shockers are getting so many foul calls is because the are commitining so many fouls. If you are not in a good defensive position and reach in or hold they will call a foul. That's what the Shockers habve been doing. As they get eperience that will lessen.

Comment

Originally posted by aircap
            Uh C0|dB|00ded I disagree. In the Valley you earn respect. Marshall will get it this year.
            I don't know if I agree with this. Turgeon never got any respect from the refs. For whatever reason I think the Shox are the raiders of the MVC and will never get a break from the refs.

Comment

The fact that this is his first real recruiting class. When they are juniors I believe they will be a team in control of games and winning night in and night out. A team headed for the sweet sixteen and beyond. But thats just me.
              First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Lets say Marshall gets fired after this year. The next coach will look great because he will have a talented team and great recruiting class handed to him.

I say Marshall stays. He'll put us on the map. Good recruiting was one thing we never saw from Turgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by SirShoxAlot
                  Lets say Marshall gets fired after this year. The next coach will look great because he will have a talented team and great recruiting class handed to him.

I say Marshall stays. He'll put us on the map. Good recruiting was one thing we never saw from Turgeon.
                  I dont think anyone is considering a new coach soon :posterwsu: 8)
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

7 years = 3-4 years to dancing!

Talk of headhunting this season is premature IMO. I, like many on this board have weathered many astorm and have even danced with the devil. Prudent restraint Shocker fans!

Come on Shocks!!!!
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by SirShoxAlot
                      Lets say Marshall gets fired after this year.
                      There is more of chance that Obama gets impeached next year than Marshall would be let go.

Comment

I can't believe somebody actually said "fired".

HCGM gets 5 years. If we are hovering around .500 at year 5 he is gone and we give someone else his near 1 million dollar salary.

T

...8)

Comment

These freak out and panic topics are all pretty ridiculous at almost anytime in this second year of the regime. They are also boring and depressing. Let's just be happy with scratching and clawing the most wins we can muster which is probably going to be some improvement on year 1 and just like in the Turgeon years we improve every year until Marshall finally brings us that elusive National Title. Hey, GO SHOCKS! :yahoo: :posterwu: :clap: :good:

Comment

I was around the program a little bit when Smithson was coach, and let me tell all of you this...The current program in no way should ever be compared to what it was when RS was coach. I liked Randy, but he was nothing like what Marshall is.

There aren't the problems with players there were in those days.

They both love to win and hate to lose, but how things are handled are probably different too.

We have heard absolutely not even a peep about any violations with the NCAA. There was always a rumor of it when RS was coach.

There have been players leave, in both situations, but they haven't been players that were actually recruited by Marshall, unlike what happened with Smithson. RS had a couple handfulls of players leave that he brought in. Mo Evans, a couple of Dutch guys, Watkins from Derby all come to mind right away, and I know there were more.

The program should not be compared, IMHO, to what it was in the Mid 90's.

Comment

Let me say that Randy Smithson will forever be a shocker. As a player (for those of us who were around when he played) he gave it his all. He made things happen.

As a coach, he gave it his all. But, he tried to do things the way he did as a juco coach. Thus, we were nothing more than a good juco team. We all had high hopes for him. D1 coaching just isn't what he was cut out for.

Greg Marshall, is a D1 coach!

Things are all ready getting better. It's just a matter of time. The recruiting has to catch up with the coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                                I was around the program a little bit when Smithson was coach, and let me tell all of you this...The current program in no way should ever be compared to what it was when RS was coach. I liked Randy, but he was nothing like what Marshall is.

There aren't the problems with players there were in those days.

They both love to win and hate to lose, but how things are handled are probably different too.

We have heard absolutely not even a peep about any violations with the NCAA. There was always a rumor of it when RS was coach.

There have been players leave, in both situations, but they haven't been players that were actually recruited by Marshall, unlike what happened with Smithson. RS had a couple handfulls of players leave that he brought in. Mo Evans, a couple of Dutch guys, Watkins from Derby all come to mind right away, and I know there were more.

The program should not be compared, IMHO, to what it was in the Mid 90's.
                                Ummm... we were investigated by KU (ERRRRRRRRRRR NCAA) for recruiting Maurice Evans. To save face and not make it look like yet again KU predating on WSU, they slapped a practice restriction on Randy for practicing a couple hours too long each week. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

T

...8)

Comment

Working...
                                X