THE DOMINO THEORY OF 4 COACHING CHANGES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE DOMINO THEORY OF 4 COACHING CHANGES

Years ago, Tubby Smith took over the Kentucky Head Coach position and even won a National Championship. However, his fan base was rumbling and so he takes over the Minnesota job in the Big 10 where he will have his work cut out for him. A NIT bid this year would be a huge step forward for them.

Meanwhile, Billy Gillispe left his Texas A&M Sweet 16 team of last year to take over at Kentucky. Billy can move the X and O's and can recruit with the best of them. Kentucky should be a Top 20 type team this year and their new Coach should move them forward. The fans should allow him a grace period at least for a short while to produce.

Enter Coach Turgeon at Texas A&M who inherits a smorgasbord of returning talent, and recruits. However, expectations will be sky high as I notice that Lindy's has them ranked 14th in the Nation and Athlon expects them to return to the Sweet 16. Sure sounds like alot of hype and quite an act to follow in Gillispe. Coach T did take WSU places they had not been for awhile. His team's nose-dive last year still makes me wonder how he will perform versus the Rick Barnes, Bobby Knight, and Bill Self's of the Big 12 and how well he will recruit and coach in the long run. Stay tuned.

Now to save the best for last. Coach Marshall entered into a buzz saw of problems when he arrived at 21st and Hillside. We lose Wilson, Martin and KB to graduation, SO, Chris Brown, and Ryan Bradley transfer on out, and prized recruit Denzel Bowles follows Coach T, Evann Baker never comes, and then comes the tragic death of Guy. The Shocks do have 5 returning players and several incredible recruits that our impressive new Coach found in no time. While Texas A&M is expected to be a world beater, WSU has only been picked 7th twice and 4th once by what I have read thus far in the Mo Valley.

In conclusion, this year will be a fun year to observe how these 4 Coaches do at their new respective Coaching jobs. Many wonder if HCGM can mesh these "New Look Shocks" into a team that plays together. He needs time but I still think he will out-perform the record we had last year both in the Valley and overall. Will these 4 coaching changes result in a win-win-win-win at the 4 Schools? It won't be long and the answers will begin to manifest right before our eyes.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

awesome analysis

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
      awesome analysis
      Agree! :good:
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Well, I think Tubby Smith is nuts for giving up Kentucky weather for Minnesota's weather ..... LOL :D

Comment

he knew his butt was gonna be canned sooner or later. When you have a institution that only hangs up final four and Championship banners in the arena, and your last championship was 10 years ago, I would sure as hell get out of town

Comment

It will also be interesting how Coach Randy Peele does at Winthrop. Improving that team's progress will be tough shoes to fill.

Comment

That is a very good post FSF.

Comment

Very nice but you should add another domino (Marshall leaves George Mason).

Comment

huh?

Comment

Actually, this domino theory began after Dan Monson was fired at Minnesota and the ripple effects resulted in 5 Head Coaching changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah
                      Very nice but you should add another domino (Marhshall leaves George Mason).
                      When Lowery leaves Missouri and Self leaves Creighton look out...
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

One head coach out of a job (Monson) and one coach with his first head job ( :clap: ).

Winthorp has the least proven quantity. Then maybe aTm. The other three schools have improvement in their staffing.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                          Actually, this domino theory began after Dan Monson was fired at Minnesota and the ripple effects resulted in 5 Head Coaching changes.

Tubby was going to be gone this year, whether it was to Minnesota or somewhere else was the only question.

Comment

Tubby knew he had to leave, I mean, the locals went so far as to put FOR SALE signs in his yard to help him make the decision. :(

Comment

I live in Kentucky (Louisville) and have followed UK basketball since Jamal Mashburn was a player. The reason we wanted Tubby gone was that his system was flawed (in my opinion). The reason I say this is that he was a defense minded coach. That isn't a bad thing, but when you only go after players who can defend but not shoot, you have close games, but no one who can make shots for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X