MVC three weeks in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC three weeks in

With one or two exceptions, everyone's played enough to get some idea of how good they are. Let's see how you would rank the MVC at this point.

1. Illinois State - Lousy schedule, but they clearly have some talented scorers.
    2. Creighton - Stinnett is back with the team. They've been up and down so far but we know what Altman can do with his teasm.
    3. So. Illinois - Played two top teams tough and lost to a WKU team that beat Louisville. They will get better as their young players gain experience.
    4. Wichita State - Our beloved Shocks don't know how to quit and have shown the ability to play with just about anyone.
    5. Drake - Seems to be playing better under their new coach after a few games.
    6. Evansville - One of the teams that is tough to guage with only three games against D1. But seem to be playing fairly decent.
    7. Bradley - They need Andrew Warren back on the floor.
    8. Missouri State - Best win is against UALR. Seems like some potential to move up.
    9. No. Iowa - Lost to Iowa St. in OT. OK win over Auburn.
    10. Indiana St. - No explanation necessary.

Re: MVC three weeks in

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    8. Missouri State - Best win is against UALR. Seems like some potential to move up.

ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

ouch.
      Yep who would have thought that MoST's win over UALR would be thought by anyone to be better than the one over Arkansas. Does this mean that UALR is the best team in Ark? :)

Comment

Originally posted by engrshock

ouch.
        Yep who would have thought that MoST's win over UALR would be thought by anyone to be better than the one over Arkansas. Does this mean that UALR is the best team in Ark? :)

At this second, maybe. By February I like to think the Hogs will be playing up to their potential.

Comment

CU still gota pickem, Dana knows how to win in the valley.
          ILL ST dominating cup cake schedule, but still gotta beat CU
          SIU always a threat, especially when their big man gets healthy
          DRAKE not as good as last year,
          WSU better than thought, gotta win soon to keep confidence
          MO ST new coach, new players, gonna take some time to rebuild.
          BRADLEY What Royal said.
          UNI haven'tseen anything to impress me with
          EVANSVILLE same players as last year, same results,
          IND ST pretty bad, but on the bright side evansville thanks you.
          Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

ouch.

At this second, maybe. By February I like to think the Hogs will be playing up to their potential.
            I think that anyone that is a fan of UALR would be pleased with this comment. You are far too sensible of a fan. Arkansas does have some tough games coming up after their tournament and that will tell a lot. I have talked to many grads and students of UALR and it is almost like they kind of know that UALR has a basketball team but everyone talks about the Razorbacks. If this were true in Kansas the Shockers would be in trouble.

Comment

With one or two exceptions, everyone's played enough to get some idea of how good they are. Let's see how you would rank the MVC at this point.

1. Illinois State - Lousy schedule, but they clearly have some talented scorers.
              2. Creighton - Stinnett is back with the team. They've been up and down so far but we know what Altman can do with his teasm.
              3. So. Illinois - Played two top teams tough and lost to a WKU team that beat Louisville. They will get better as their young players gain experience.
              4. Wichita State - Our beloved Shocks don't know how to quit and have shown the ability to play with just about anyone.
              5. Drake - Seems to be playing better under their new coach after a few games.
              6. Evansville - One of the teams that is tough to guage with only three games against D1. But seem to be playing fairly decent.
              7. Bradley - They need Andrew Warren back on the floor.
              9. No. Iowa - Lost to Iowa St. in OT. OK win over Auburn.
              10. Indiana St. - No explanation necessary.
              3. So. Illinois - Played two top teams with their gimmick thug-ball strategy and got blown out by superior skill, talent, and athleticism. They will improve the implementation of said strategy as their young players gain experience under the "Saluki-Way".
              *fixed*

T

...8)

Comment

ouch.

I think that anyone that is a fan of UALR would be pleased with this comment. You are far too sensible of a fan. Arkansas does have some tough games coming up after their tournament and that will tell a lot. I have talked to many grads and students of UALR and it is almost like they kind of know that UALR has a basketball team but everyone talks about the Razorbacks. If this were true in Kansas the Shockers would be in trouble.
                If this were true in Kansas the Shockers would be in trouble.
                This couldn't be true in Kansas because UALR is no Wichita State University. Being looked over is not a phenomenon that is unexplainable. We have the history, tradition, and national excellence that backs up our popularity. Our massive fanbase wasn't fortuitous, it was earned.

T

...8)

Comment

1. Illinois State
                  2. Creighton
                  3. Southern Illinois
                  4. Drake
                  5. Evansville
                  6. Wichita State
                  7. Bradley
                  8. Missouri State
                  9. Northern Iowa
                  10. Indiana State

Expect a lot more fluctuating by the end of the month.

WSU is fortunate the Valley is really unimpressive so far.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

1. Creighton - I'm sure Altman will get this team playing to its potential by Valley time.
                    2. SIU - Needs Fay to continue his solid play with a lack of quality experienced inside players.
                    3. Illinois State - Haven't seen them play but at least they've beat the patsies on their schedule and they do have Eldridge.
                    4. WSU - I was tempted to put the Shox 3rd but inconsistency may keep them out of the top 3.
                    5. Drake - Looked terrible against Vandy and pretty solid against New Mexico so I'll stick them in the middle.
                    6. Bradley - Getting Warren back will help.
                    7. MSU - Solid results so far.
                    8. UNI - They have some talent in the front court.
                    9. Evansville - They just seem to gravitate towards the bottom.
                    10. Indiana State - Losing your top scorer a few weeks before the season hurts.

Comment

1. ISU - I know they've played a pathetic schedule but they've dominated it and have quite a bit of talent.
                      2. CU - Even though they've slipped up some, you just can't count out a Dana coached team.
                      3. SIU - Once they get the big kid back they'll be a player in the Valley.
                      4. WSU - Despite too many close losses, they've showed a lot of heart and promise and are only going to get better.
                      5. MSU - I like what they've done so far with the new coach and all. Time will tell how they hold up.
                      6. BU - They need Warren back. Then they'll continue to be BU and probably underachieve.
                      7. DU - I'm not sold on this team. They did play better against UNM but they have more to prove.
                      8. UE - Not sure really what to expect from them. But they should be improved and I expect them to take some steps forward.
                      9. UNI - They have back court issues that the front court can't hide.
                      0. ISU - We all know why.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

"2 players doesn't make a team. Follow that up with a new coach who can't coach according to DU fans even, and I expect a bottom half finish with them when it's all said and done." ----Hey ShockerFever---Did you have a change of heart on Drake as shown in the quote just last week from you?

"It's only November, pipe down on the koolaid. And Drake is horrible this year." How about this one by you? Now you rank them 4th in the Valley? Why the drastic change of heart all the sudden?
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

^^ This is why I don't say anything here that isn't just patently ridiculous because there is no way I could be consistently logical.

Comment

heres a blog for the springfield paper on what he thinks

5 — Wichita State (3-4). After loss to UMKC, the Shockers obviously have made big strides. They nearly beat Texas Tech on Wednesday in Lubbock and went 1-2 in Old Spice Classic, beating a good Siena team and playing Michigan State and Georgetown to competitive games.
                            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded

ouch.

If this were true in Kansas the Shockers would be in trouble.
                              This couldn't be true in Kansas because UALR is no Wichita State University. Being looked over is not a phenomenon that is unexplainable. We have the history, tradition, and national excellence that backs up our popularity. Our massive fanbase wasn't fortuitous, it was earned.

T

...8)
                              I am really glad that WSU is not UALR. However it is a legit school and when I was in Little Rock last summer it astounded me that students and alums of UALR really seemed to have little regard for their teams and everyone talked about Arkansas Razorbacks. This would be like everyone in Kansas only following the Kansas Jayhawks with other universities as an afterthought. Pittsburg St., Emporia State, Washburn, Fort Hays State all seem to have better home town appeal than UALR.

Comment

Working...
                              X