Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need to start recruiting the kind of athletes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not see the game so my comments are based only what the Eagle and you guys have posted.

What is obvious is that throughout the game the team's shot selection and accuracy were putrid from both the FT and 3-point lines, but we had some success getting the ball inside.

So why wasn't the adjustment made at least by the time of the start of the second half?

You can't blame the coach for horrendous shooting and this is obviously what lost the game. But the coach is responsible for making adjustments when his game plan is not working.

Comment

If the dog wouldn't have stopped to take a ****, it would have caught the rabbit...

Perhaps then UMKC would have hit another three in response? UMKC was taking it to us all game long and as unbelievable as it is to say, eventually wore us down with their strategy. We did not adapt, we did not overcome...

They came into our building and wanted it more than us and they took it. The only player on our team who played with desperation was Clemente. He was playing with pride, he was playing with honor, he was willing to spill his blood to protect our name. J.T. was the exact opposite, he lumbered around like he couldn't give two ####'s. On one occasion I saw Ramon take his fist and slam it into the side of his own head. This man was doing everything in his power to stop the inevitable...

T

...8)

Comment

Right around the 40 point mark, UMKC had much more determination than our players did. When they went up 47-44, I knew we were in trouble.

And what's with them driving 5-7 times in a row on us to the basket. Someone, definately, missed their defensive assignment. We can not afford to breakdown defensively like that.

AJ is a good player, has things to work on, and he, in my opinion, will not fill PJ's shoes. PJ was a demon on defense.

All of you guys that think next year is going to be so much better, better take off the homer glasses. We lose Ramon after this year, and hopefully, Blair and Hamilton can begin to replace him, but it is a tall order.

Creighton and SIU have to replace players, and they still end up at the top of the league, even on rebuilding years. We don't seem to have very many offensive set plays.

Fact is HCGM came from a 25th rated league to a 7th rated league, and it is a little tougher than it might have seemed. I am a big HCGM fan, but after a game, I find myself asking whether Dana Altman would have won that game with our players.

I am all for the team, but you can not ignore the negatives either.

Comment

After having a night's sleep, I've come to the simple realization:

It's just one game. Not only that--it's only the 2nd game of the season. Things will get better.

There were positives, there we obviously negatives. It's up to the coaching staff to work on/fix the negatives. We all know that this season should be an improvement over last. If it doesn't end up being that way, then I will start to be more worried. At this point, we've got work to do, but we've got plenty of time to show improvement.

Again, this is game 2, not game 22.

One thing's for sure--we'll all be watching for that improvement as the season progresses.

I'd rather them make these kinds of mistakes now, and not 2 months from now. Patience is a virtue.

Comment

You're right, it is game 2, and I'm sure things will get better...for everyone, including us. That doesn't mean we're going to get better at a greater rate (or porportion) than everyone else...unless we've got a better coach and philosophy. I'm not willing to say we have that...yet. But don't keep fooling yourself thinking that only WE will get better.

Comment

On a brighter note, we currently have the nations third best rebounder!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme
                You're right, it is game 2, and I'm sure things will get better...for everyone, including us. That doesn't mean we're going to get better at a greater rate (or porportion) than everyone else...unless we've got a better coach and philosophy. I'm not willing to say we have that...yet. But don't keep fooling yourself thinking that only WE will get better.
                Oh I know what you're saying. Yes, but others are already closer to where they need to be. We, on the other hand are further off. We will get there. HCGM has his work cut out for him. Last year was a 'pass' as we all knew that he was inheriting what he could get. Now he has more of his recruits, and though we all are realistic in that we know an MVC championship and NCAA tourney bid this year isn't very likely, we want to see real improvement. I'm sure he knows that more than anyone though.

Ramon is a great player. He takes what has to work with (which isn't graceful or pretty) and maximizes it.

He's a definate bright spot. No doubt. I hope he ends up leading the nation in rebounding!

Comment

It was amazing how Ramon came up with some of those rebounds. Nothing was going to stop him from getting the ball many of those plays. :poster_ramon:

Comment

I especially liked the rebound where he slapped it up into the air two times before he could grab it on the third try. And yes Stutz only got ball I don't know if they called him for body contact but he was clean with the hands.

Comment

Working...
                    X