UMKC Postgame; AKA No Meltdown Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by proshox
    I don't see "it" with Hannah. He does not see the floor well and looks for his shot first, second and last. He will prove me wrong once he passes a ball without dribbling it for three seconds. I think the shockers will struggle until they get a point guard who can both shoot and pass the ball a bit.
    You know, I agree about that on last night's performance, but against Emporia and FAMU, he seemed a lot more 'in control', and perhaps even more appropriate--CONFIDENT. I thought he did a pretty decent job in both of those games of distributing the ball. Didn't he have quite a few assists against FAMU? I know, he also had some turnovers too.

Comment

Now we have an idea of how terrible we must have looked like up at Silo-Tech. :whistle: :shock:

T

...8)

Comment

Things could be worse....

We could be Kentucky!
        They are 0-2 and don't have Garrett!

Comment

If we don't win more than 11 games I'll meltdown. That's 11 games next year. I expect the Shockers will be more in sync as the year progresses. The three things that bother me the most on what we've seen so far is:

I don't think we are a good outside shooting team,

I doubt if we become consistent at the FT line,

I'm afraid MG and AE might be non-factors this year and that would leave us very thin on frontline depth.
          In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
            I expect the Shockers will be more in sync as the year progresses.
            The hard to swallow fact is that while our guys are learning the basics as the year progresses, our MVC opponents are honing their skills at the same time, and probably the same or greater rate.

I AM WORRIED...!

Comment

I can't believe I haven't seen anything about this yet. Did anyone catch #5, Spencer Johnson, celebrate after the game? He started jumping up and down on WU and almost spiked the basketball on the logo, just barely holding himself back while he laughed and danced.

A flippin' 0-2 team from bumlick league with about 6 fans comes into our barn, kicks our tail and jumps on WU. What heart we have! :good:

As far as I am concerned, Ramon, Toure & Garrett can play as much as possible. Everything else is totally up for grabs and I'm all for playing walkons if the rest doesn't want to do what they have been taught and don't want to play with 100% effort every second they are on the floor.

Comment

The loss DID NOT surprise me. The WAY we lost surprised me. Outside of Ramon, Toure and Garrett we played hard for about 1:15 out of 40:00.

I knew a young, stupid team like ours would struggle with a team like UMKC....difficult to prepare for, easy to play. I did not know that we would let a crap filled diaper of team punch us in the mouth and never fight back.

Yes, I'm pissed and I'm ready for wholesale changes, record be damned, if and until someone else besides those aforementioned 3, get it.

Comment

I don't claim to be a BB guru, but I don't think the team executed Marshall's offensive game plan. I think it's because 2 or 3 guys were probably consistently out of position to run the sets.

I'd like to see if this lineup could run the offense any better.

PG - Chamberlain
                  SG - Toure
                  SF - Hatch
                  PF - Clemente
                  C - Stutz

Right now Hawk compares to Cooz about the way Mekel compared to Braeuer. Hawk was a mid-30's 3 shooter at St. Bonny's. Hatch is a much better 3-pt. threat but it seemed when he was in, the SF was more involved in the flow of the TEAM offense.

I don't know if it's in the game plan, but Durley, Hannah, and Hawk seem to have a "give me the ball and watch me go" attitude. Durley did pretty good when he did that, but he hardly touched the ball.

I prefer players with an attitude of "get me the ball and I'll find the guy where the D just broke down".

I don't know if Marshall has had the time to get players with a combination of talent, work ethic, and coachability. He's got some, but not as many as he needs. Maybe shaking up some PT woul improve the coachability and work ethic of some players.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                    I don't claim to be a BB guru, but I don't think the team executed Marshall's offensive game plan. I think it's because 2 or 3 guys were probably consistently out of position to run the sets.

I'd like to see if this lineup could run the offense any better.

PG - Chamberlain
                    SG - Toure
                    SF - Hatch
                    PF - Clemente
                    C - Stutz

Right now Hawk compares to Cooz about the way Mekel compared to Braeuer. Hawk was a mid-30's 3 shooter at St. Bonny's. Hatch is a much better 3-pt. threat but it seemed when he was in, the SF was more involved in the flow of the TEAM offense.

I don't know if it's in the game plan, but Durley, Hannah, and Hawk seem to have a "give me the ball and watch me go" attitude. Durley did pretty good when he did that, but he hardly touched the ball.

I prefer players with an attitude of "get me the ball and I'll find the guy where the D just broke down".

I don't know if Marshall has had the time to get players with a combination of talent, work ethic, and coachability. He's got some, but not as many as he needs. Maybe shaking up some PT woul improve the coachability and work ethic of some players.
                    Nice points Aargh. Perhaps you're right on the playing time. I remember thinking that having the option of making guys earn playing time this year as opposed to being 'given' a starting job due to attrition would be a good thing. It appears we're about to find out just how good and helpful it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                      The loss DID NOT surprise me. The WAY we lost surprised me. Outside of Ramon, Toure and Garrett we played hard for about 1:15 out of 40:00.

I knew a young, stupid team like ours would struggle with a team like UMKC....difficult to prepare for, easy to play. I did not know that we would let a crap filled diaper of team punch us in the mouth and never fight back.

Yes, I'm pissed and I'm ready for wholesale changes, record be damned, if and until someone else besides those aforementioned 3, get it.
                      I knew a young, stupid team like ours would struggle with a team like UMKC....
                      There we go again...

Well then we need to start recruiting the kind of smart athletes they have over at UMKC. That seems like the only solution to me -They got the goods!!111

T

...8)

Comment

Why do people keep talking about Griskenas bringing anything to the lineup? He was not so good last year before he got injured. If Griskenas gets significant minutes this year, things are not going well in our development.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Murray
                          Hatch
                          Hawkins
                          Clemente
                          Stutz

Chamberlain
                          Hannah
                          Kyles
                          Ellis
                          Durley

Comment

It is going to be a rebuilding year. But Marshall has them on the right track.

Comment

If Aaron's performance doesn't significantly improve over what he's done in the first two games, there's no way he'll see 15+ mpg with a healthy Mantas on the bench.

Comment

Working...
                              X