Lute Olson to step down at Arizona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22
    What happened to the guy from last year? It was last year wasn't it???
    Wasn't that Kevin O'Neil?
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
      Wasn't that Kevin O' Neil?
      yes, but according the article I linked to earlier Olson had said that O'Neil was no longer part of his staff and that he would finish out the remainder of his contract. So I guess either O'Neil resigned when Olson announced he would return or Olson let him go....

When Olson stepped away, it started an unimaginable chain of events. Assistant coach Kevin O’Neill, who took over as interim coach, was soon designated Olson’s permanent successor.

O’Neill led Arizona to a 19-15 record and the school’s 24th consecutive NCAA tournament appearance, the nation’s longest active streak. But when Olson returned to the job last spring, he announced that O’Neill was no longer part of his staff and that he planned to coach for the remainder of his contract, which runs through 2011.

According to Tennessee fans they seem to think that Pearl is among the top choices for the AZ position. Granted I've only seen him referenced on their message board and not in any articles or anything. So it's probably just them being paranoid.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Paranoid fans? In college basketball? Never....
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I have heard that they are talking to Danny Ainge.
          Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
            I have heard that they are talking to Danny Ainge.
            not what I heard. I heard that Marshall is actually going to miss Shocker madness tomorrow night due to being in AZ. But....I'm not worried. 8)
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
              Wasn't that Kevin O'Neil?
              I think in May of this year he was hired as an assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies, but he had always said his heart was with college baskeball.

Comment

Lute Olson's doctor says the former Arizona basketball coach had a stroke within the last year and he advised him to retire.

"Meanwhile, three recruits who had committed to the program have decided to reopen the recruiting process. Abdul Gaddy, Solomon Hill and Mike Moser have all told Arizona media sources that they will look elsewhere because Olson has retired."

Hey, don't we have a scholarship open?????

Comment

One Arizona message board has already posted a rumor that the next coach will be Chris Lowery.

Comment

No way on any of the de-commits for us. We were not on their radars in the past and they are not exactly from our recruiting territory (west coast).
                    In the fast lane

Comment

Has there been any more speculation on the queer timing here?

Comment

It was mentioned on the radio that he had a "stroke" of some sort during the past few months that had led to some problems.

Comment

The highest ranked player of the three former Arizona commits, Abdul Gaddy decides to stay home and play for Washington.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

News article today stated he had a very major stroke which has severely impacted his ability to function.

Comment

Working...
                            X