Lindys MVC picks from Valleynet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    I've been saying that their only proven shooter is Matt Shaw. Bone, Mullins and the other kid who's name escapes me were sub-par shooters last year. They will need to improve greatly on that or SIU will be a two-trick pony (Shaw, Falker).
    They are supposed to have some quality recruits coming in, however. Nonetheless, there are serious questions about SIU. Some other year, those questions might keep them from being the favorite, but it is hard to name a team without major question marks going into this season.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
      Originally posted by RoyalShock
      I've been saying that their only proven shooter is Matt Shaw. Bone, Mullins and the other kid who's name escapes me were sub-par shooters last year. They will need to improve greatly on that or SIU will be a two-trick pony (Shaw, Falker).
      They are supposed to have some quality recruits coming in, however. Nonetheless, there are serious questions about SIU. Some other year, those questions might keep them from being the favorite, but it is hard to name a team without major question marks going into this season.
      Shaw is a very good shooter, if left unguarded. He does not shoot well at all with a hand in his face. He is not a threat to drive, so he can be guarded tightly. When his defender leaves him to help, then he is a dangerous shooter, if his mates can get the ball to him. He is a very fine free throw shooter. Also, he is strong as a mule.

Falker is a poor free throw shooter, except during games against WSU in Wichita. Without Orupke, I am not sure we can defend well against him.

Comment

FSF FEARLESS PREDICTIONS- :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

1.SIU
        2.MO ST.
        3.WSU--------------
        4.CREIGHTON
        5.ILL. ST.
        6. BRADLEY
        7. N. IOWA
        8. DRAKE
        9. IND. ST
        10. EVANSVILLE

MO-VALLEY TOURNEY CHAMPION-WSU
        PLAYER OF THE YEAR--FALKER OR PJ
        NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR--MANTAS GRISKENAS OR RAMON CLEMENTE-WSU
        FROSH OF THE YEAR---TO BE ANNOUNCED LATER
        COACH OF THE YEAR IN VALLEY--MARSHALL OR LOWRY
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Who cares if they pick us so low?
          We know we can prove them wrong!

Comment

Yep, we've had some turnover, but damn, 7th? That is an absolute worst case scenario. We would seriously have to have some things go very wrong for this outcome to happen. A PJ injury and all of our incoming guys not being able to mesh, something catastrophic, I just don't see us finishing 7th this year. But hey, I'm a fan, we'll see.

Comment

Let them pick us low, its just thier opinion. Who cares? We will prove them wrong on the court.
              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Sometimes Lindys' ignorance makes us look bad, other times good. Wasn't it them that said we had the 2nd best backcourt in the nation last year? I don't believe they are worth the time to read when it comes to WSU and the Valley.
                In the fast lane

Comment

Just returned from Dillons looking for College Hoops Magazines knowing it won't be until early Oct. before we see most of them. Lindys' prediction is grooming our new HCGM for a shot at Valley Coach of the Year. Look for us to range between 3rd to 7th this year for early predictions for our Shocks when these various Magazines hit the racks.

Our Season could be sort of the opposite of last year from start to finish. Last year we were uncanny at the beginning with some Shocking upsets and ended with a washout nose dive. This year, we may have some flat moments early on, but may develop with us hitting on all cylinders in time to make some needed noise at the end when it really counts.

Last year we thought we were contenders but were pretenders. So let the experts keep on picking us in the lower half of the Valley this year. We will use that for fueling the raging fire in our Shockers bellies as we zip on by the skeptics, and Shock :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: some folk that underestimate us. How su---weet that will be as we have a special and rewarding Season. Extra-Extra--read all about it!!!
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                    Just returned from Dillons looking for College Hoops Magazines knowing it won't be until early Oct. before we see most of them. Lindys' prediction is grooming our new HCGM for a shot at Valley Coach of the Year. Look for us to range between 3rd to 7th this year for early predictions for our Shocks when these various Magazines hit the racks.

Our Season could be sort of the opposite of last year from start to finish. Last year we were uncanny at the beginning with some Shocking upsets and ended with a washout nose dive. This year, we may have some flat moments early on, but may develop with us hitting on all cylinders in time to make some needed noise at the end when it really counts.

Last year we thought we were contenders but were pretenders. So let the experts keep on picking us in the lower half of the Valley this year. We will use that for fueling the raging fire in our Shockers bellies as we zip on by the skeptics, and Shock :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: some folk that underestimate us. How su---weet that will be as we have a special and rewarding Season. Extra-Extra--read all about it!!!

I agree , just win baby win! :goshocks: 8) 8)
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Does Lindy's discuss Eliis at all or was it written before Ellis joined the team?

Comment

We have some talent coming in, but if you think about it, you can see why they picked us 7th (at least from a national perspective). We finished 6th in the Valley and went south fast. We lost SO, KW, RM, and KB. We don't have any proven post players. We have a new coach, which brings a lot of transition. So based on that, it's not too far-fetched. Now do I think we can and will finish higher than 7th? Of course.

Indiana State at 6th is ridiculous. I know Altman is a great coach but how much did CU lose last year and are they bringing enough in this year to overcome that?

Lindy's had us at 5th in 2006 and look what happened. They had us at 1st in 04 or 05 and we slipped to a 3rd. Last year we were picked high and look what happened.

Preseason mags are fun to look at, but I wouldn't take them so seriously...
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Shocker Fever, I agree with you. I, personally, don't see us lower than 4th, but without a taller post player (if Orukpe doesn't get here on time to play), I think that will almost preclude us from getting 1st or 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                            Does Lindy's discuss Eliis at all or was it written before Ellis joined the team?
                            I haven't seen it, so I don't know. However, it probably would not matter much on where they put us. It's pretty clear that Couisnard, Mekel, Preadom, Thomasson, Braeuer, Griskenas and Clemente will be in our rotation. That leaves Ellis, Butler, Durley, and Orupke if he arrives. If Orupke makes it here, he probably has the best shot out of the rest to make the rotation because our lack of height. Ellis along with Butler and Durley have a chance at becoming major players for us, but probably in future years. Anyone of them might break through this year, but it would be foolish to base standing predictions on them.

I don't mean this as a shot DoubleJay, but IMO it's also foolish to up Creighton in the standings much because of P. Allen Stinnet. Both Ellis and Stinnet are good freshman additions to the Valley but they will need some time to help win many games. I'm sure Stinnet will be a main part of your team this year, but I think he, like most freshmen will need a year or so to really improve the team.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                              Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                              I haven't seen it, so I don't know. However, it probably would not matter much on where they put us. It's pretty clear that Couisnard, Mekel, Preadom, Thomasson, Braeuer, Griskenas and Clemente will be in our rotation. That leaves Ellis, Butler, Durley, and Orupke if he arrives. If Orupke makes it here, he probably has the best shot out of the rest to make the rotation because our lack of height. Ellis along with Butler and Durley have a chance at becoming major players for us, but probably in future years. Anyone of them might break through this year, but it would be foolish to base standing predictions on them.

I don't mean this as a shot DoubleJay, but IMO it's also foolish to up Creighton in the standings much because of P. Allen Stinnet. Both Ellis and Stinnet are good freshman additions to the Valley but they will need some time to help win many games. I'm sure Stinnet will be a main part of your team this year, but I think he, like most freshmen will need a year or so to really improve the team.
                              I see Ellis relieving Gris at the 3. There will probably be some shifting around at the 4 and 5 if Orukpe gets here. I see Phil at the 5 starting out with Clemente at the 4. Without Orukpe, Durley will relieve Phil, and Butler will relieve Clemente, but I see the Clemente/Butler split being 70/30, not 50/50.

If Orukpe gets here, I see him and Durley trading off on the relief at 5, and if Orukpe produces, he could start at the 5, with Thomasson relieving at the 4 and/or 5. Durley would continue relieving at the 5, and Butler's minutes would probably be reduced some.

Comment

On another note TTU and UNI just checked in at 75 and 76 in the collegehoops.net top 144 poll. No mention of WSU which puts us in postseason category. I'd expect to show in up in the next 15 picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X