No announcement yet.

2008 Old Spice Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad this tournament couldn't wait another year or two..
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
      Too bad this tournament couldn't wait another year or two..
      why? We will be in other tournaments, with good teams as well in the future. Might as well take them as we can get them.
      ________
      M5
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

We get Maui next year don't we?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
          We get Maui next year don't we?
          Next year is the tourney in KC. We get Maui in 2 years....which should be about the right time :)
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

That's even better. No matter who's in the tournament, Maui seems to be THE tournament.

The Old Spice will be tough. The one is KC could be interesting as we'll definitely be farther along. Not sure what kind of competition we'll be looking at. Maui always has a great field and definitely puts us on a national stage and ready to make a big splash.

Basketball can't get here soon enough!!! :yahoo:
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

In my opinion the Old Spice Classic easily holds it's own with Maui next year as the top tournament in the country.

Maui has Alabama, Chaminade, Indiana, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oregon, St. Joseph's and Texas.

In addition to the great field, the Old Spice Classic will give WSU plenty of exposure as all of the games will be televised by the ESPN networks.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
                In my opinion the Old Spice Classic easily holds it's own with Maui next year as the top tournament in the country.

Maui has Alabama, Chaminade, Indiana, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oregon, St. Joseph's and Texas.

In addition to the great field, the Old Spice Classic will give WSU plenty of exposure as all of the games will be televised by the ESPN networks.
                Televised games are great -- as long as we hold our own and don't get blown out. It's not great press when you lose by 25. This is a tough field and our team is pretty much an unknown. Half of the team has no D-1 experience and haven't even played together. I'm excited about the future, but I'm trying to be realistic. I don't expect miracles -- but would be VERY HAPPY with some surprises.

Comment

Shocks771, My wife and I will definitely be there too.

What are the dates?

Comment

The tournament is on Thanksgiving weekend. The past two years the teams have played their first game on Thanksgiving, then they play again on Friday and Sunday. The dates of the tournament are November 27-30.

Comment

Description of the Shockers from the Old Spice Classic website:

WICHITA STATE
                      Nickname: Shockers
                      Conference: Missouri Valley

The Shockers are the second team from the Missouri Valley Conference to play in the Old Spice Classic. Wichita State has reached the post-season in four of the last six years, highlighted by a Sweet 16 appearance in 2005-06. Next season’s team should be experienced, with leading rebounder Ramon Clemente starting his senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
                        The tournament is on Thanksgiving weekend. The past two years the teams have played their first game on Thanksgiving, then have Friday off, then play again on Saturday and Sunday. I'm not sure if it will be set up the same way this year of not.
                        I noticed based on last year's schedule, they played Thursday and Friday, had Saturday off, then played on Sunday.

This years the tournament runs from Nov 27-30.

Comment

Yeah, I just fixed that, my bad. The dates for the tournament are November 27-30 so I assume they will use the same schedule and games will be played on Thursday, Friday and Sunday with Saturday off.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

WICHITA STATE

The Shockers are the second team from the Missouri Valley Conference to play in the Old Spice Classic. Wichita State has reached the post-season in four of the last six years, highlighted by a Sweet 16 appearance in 2005-06. Next season’s team should be experienced, with leading rebounder Ramon Clemente starting his senior year.
                            Not too sure their definition of "experienced" is the same as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

WICHITA STATE

YEAH! Go Ramon! Can't wait to see him play again next season. It should be fun with the other pieces to the puzzle helping him out.

Comment

If we can get that other 7 footer and one more big man to go with the (on paper) great gaurd set that was recently acquired, WSU could very much hold their own with anyone in Orlando. KC will be good next year too, but the Maui trip is the one I really look forward to them making a splash in.

BTW, does anyone know who is in the 2010 Maui field?

Comment

Working...
                                X