Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K-State's Michael Beasley, Should I stay or should I go now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-State's Michael Beasley, Should I stay or should I go now?

Not too long after I post this, Michael Beasley will announce his decision to either stay at K-State or go to the NBA.

I've listened to a lot of talking heads up in KC this weekend as I drove around for family and work. Almost everyone I talked to and listened to thought for sure he is the #1 overall pick. His stock can not get any higher. He is going to get a big fat check and even if he took K-State to win the national title next year, that check isn't going to get that much bigger.

However, a few people have claimed to be K-State insiders, and say that he and Walker want to come back. They enjoy being at K-State and enjoy Martin and all of that stuff.

Ok, so must of us here know this.

What I wanted to talk about is how those of us here feel about players leaving early to go pro.

Personally, I am all for it. I'm glad Gal is going to go get paid to play.

I also hate that the NCAA penalizes these guys for going off and getting a paycheck.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to a post secondary education. Some say it should be pure job training. These are the people that think someone bound for a law degree shouldn't be taking the Psychology of Women as it is a waste of time and money. Others think that time spent at a university should be mostly focused on personal growth and that you gain more from a broad liberal arts education then you do in just job training.

To me it seems like for some, athletics is just an extension of the job training mantra. For others, it is part of a broader liberal arts education. Athletics fit both ideas! Get your job training or learn how to be a team player and apply that to the rest of your life, or both!

What really bugs me is this whole idea of penalizing a program because people make their own decisions. I don't see how it is the coach's (or the school's) responsibility, and yet the NCAA makes it that. How can a coach say "Son, I know they are offering millions of dollars but if you stay at K-State and finish your communications degree and you blow out your knee and we will stop paying for this education, you could maybe make tens of thousands of dollars instead!"?

Even guys who leave early and wash out of the NBA (or the NFL, or the MLB, or the NHL, or the WNBA) likely make more in their limited time at the pros then they would have made in the same amount of time with a genuine degree. Also, the school isn't going anywhere! Those credits are still good.

If Michael Beasley leaves K-State after his freshman year, he will also just be one of many freshman at K-State that will not be back next year. A selected few have made connections at K-State and have proven themselves in one year to be offered a good job somewhere. Others are just failing out because they did so well at Aggieville. This same story can be told at any university in the country. Yet the NCAA (obviously) doesn't penalize K-State because Joe Schmo took a job at Cargil doing IT work because it will pay the bills.

What say you, oh shocker of nets.

I like baseball's version of it. If you are good enough to go out of HS, you should go. If not, you have to play 3 years to go. The only revision should be if not drafted out of HS in the first round, you should not be eligible to be drafted in 2nd round, and go to college.

As for Beasley, he will declare and sign with an agent. He's done, at least at K-State. Think about it....MIAMI. Playing with D-Wade and Shawn Marion, they instantly become a playoff team with Beasley.

Comment

There is no good reason for him to stay, he's NBA ready and will likely be picked #1.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Yep, the Eagle is reporting that he's gone.

Which is nice, because this morning I was talking to a K-State fan about Beasley. He said he thought Beasley might stay, I told him there is a chance, but I'd put it at about 10% he's staying and 90% he's leaving. He asked if I wanted to bet on it for $20. I figured he'd want some kid of odds or something, but he did a straight up bet for $20. He may know something the rest of us don't know, but I think it's a fairly safe bet to say he's gone...but you never know for sure.

Comment

Nobody can ever get those college years back. Personally, I would get an insurance policy worth a few million and come back. If I get injured, I'll still get paid. Obviously not as much as a ten plus year career, but still enough to never have to work again. If I don't get injured, I have no trouble paying off the insurance policy because I'd be signing for ridiculous money.

I really can't imagine dealing with everything that superstar athletes have to deal with at that age, but I think it would be hard to handle. Everything that I've read about Beasley makes it sound as if he is having those same apprehensions.

Comment

Even his coach said that he should go..

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
              Nobody can ever get those college years back. Personally, I would get an insurance policy worth a few million and come back. If I get injured, I'll still get paid. Obviously not as much as a ten plus year career, but still enough to never have to work again. If I don't get injured, I have no trouble paying off the insurance policy because I'd be signing for ridiculous money.

I really can't imagine dealing with everything that superstar athletes have to deal with at that age, but I think it would be hard to handle. Everything that I've read about Beasley makes it sound as if he is having those same apprehensions.
              Umm, I think it would be pretty easy to get those college years "back" if, after getting your huge signing bonus, you go bust in the NBA in 4 or 5 years.

That bonus will pay for 3 or 4 years' tuition thousands of times over, as well as provide a diet better than the standard dorm-room ramen.
              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

If Beasley doesn't go pro, he needs to commit himself for mental instability.

One mis-dunk like Stewart at KU and poof! Who'd pay his insurance premium if he could find a $25,000,000 policy?
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

My thoughts: If not a 1st rounder out of HS, then 2 years of college should be required before being able to be drafted.

$9 million is pretty hard to turn down.

With all the online college programs nowdays, getting a degree is more convenient to do it online, and no boring lectures. (I have done it both ways).

Beasley could continue college at his pace online.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                    As for Beasley, he will declare and sign with an agent. He's done, at least at K-State. Think about it....MIAMI. Playing with D-Wade and Shawn Marion, they instantly become a playoff team with Beasley.
                    Actually, nbadraft.net has Derrick Rose going 1st to Miami. Beasley going 2nd to Seattle/OKC, so he'll be playing with Durant. But that's only if those teams win the NBA draft lottery, which isn't an easy thing to do. If Beasley stays, he's a moron. He'll get $15 million guaranteed plus 10s of millions in endorsement money. I'm sure he'll get signed my Nike or Adidas right after he declares as well. Only 50 minutes away from now until he declares.
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

KAKE.com should stream the conference live:

and Kansas Now 22 on Cox Cable should have it live as well.
                      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                        Originally posted by McShocker

Umm, I think it would be pretty easy to get those college years "back" if, after getting your huge signing bonus, you go bust in the NBA in 4 or 5 years.

That bonus will pay for 3 or 4 years' tuition thousands of times over, as well as provide a diet better than the standard dorm-room ramen.
                        Going back to school as a 28 year old is NOT getting your college years back. If these kids want to stay in school, they can get enough insurance (if they can prove their market value) that they don't have to worry about injury. Sure, if they get hurt they lose out on a bunch of money. But they can still make enough off of the policy to be really comfortable for a long, long time.

I am not saying that he should stay. I am saying that if I was in his position and know what I know now, I would go to school at least 2-3 years.

As long as these guys insure themselves, they are absolutely not stupid for returning to school if they want to be kids for a little while longer. It is a personal choice that no one else really has the right to criticize because none of us know everything that goes into that decision or what they consider priorities.

I certainly would not consider leaving after one year to make a ton of money a bad decision, but it is not as cut and dry as a lot of people make it out to be.

Comment

He's gone. It's the only decision that makes any sense
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I would cringe at the fact of playing with Dwayne Wade.

DWade cant stay healthy. His championship run was a fluke. Miami is a horrible organization. Better than the knicks but still horrible.

Besides why would Miami want Michael Beasley. They have Blake Ahearn.

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

These guys should be in college if they want an education AND can compete in the classroom. Otherwise, they are taking up space that someone who wants an education could occupy, go to the NBDL or South America just don't try to tell me you are a student athlete if you are only there to play ball, it is insulting.
                              Unleash Brett Burley, let all tremble before him!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X