Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K-State's Michael Beasley, Should I stay or should I go now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KSU Freshman Michael Beasley made it official...he's entering the NBA draft.

Beasley thanked his coach and the University at an afternoon news conference.

Basketball experts say Beasley could be the top pick in the June
    26th NBA draft.

Martin says he has urged Beasley to go pro because he has a
    chance to secure the future for himself and his family.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
      Going back to school as a 28 year old is NOT getting your college years back. If these kids want to stay in school, they can get enough insurance (if they can prove their market value) that they don't have to worry about injury. Sure, if they get hurt they lose out on a bunch of money. But they can still make enough off of the policy to be really comfortable for a long, long time.

I am not saying that he should stay. I am saying that if I was in his position and know what I know now, I would go to school at least 2-3 years.

As long as these guys insure themselves, they are absolutely not stupid for returning to school if they want to be kids for a little while longer. It is a personal choice that no one else really has the right to criticize because none of us know everything that goes into that decision or what they consider priorities.

I certainly would not consider leaving after one year to make a ton of money a bad decision, but it is not as cut and dry as a lot of people make it out to be.
      He's 19 now. If he busts, he'd be 23 or 24, tops. A 23 year old multi-millionaire can have all the college experience they want.

Who's to say he even likes college in the first place? It's a common misconception that college is for everyone.
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

It got lost in all the Beasley headlines, but according to kansascity.com Walker is joining him in the NBA.

Comment

Did anyone doubt it! And Walker, Momma would kill him if he didnt take the money
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
            Originally posted by McShocker
            Going back to school as a 28 year old is NOT getting your college years back. If these kids want to stay in school, they can get enough insurance (if they can prove their market value) that they don't have to worry about injury. Sure, if they get hurt they lose out on a bunch of money. But they can still make enough off of the policy to be really comfortable for a long, long time.

I am not saying that he should stay. I am saying that if I was in his position and know what I know now, I would go to school at least 2-3 years.

As long as these guys insure themselves, they are absolutely not stupid for returning to school if they want to be kids for a little while longer. It is a personal choice that no one else really has the right to criticize because none of us know everything that goes into that decision or what they consider priorities.

I certainly would not consider leaving after one year to make a ton of money a bad decision, but it is not as cut and dry as a lot of people make it out to be.
            He's 19 now. If he busts, he'd be 23 or 24, tops. A 23 year old multi-millionaire can have all the college experience they want.

Who's to say he even likes college in the first place? It's a common misconception that college is for everyone.
            From what I had heard, he did like college, but you are certainly right that there are many who don't.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I was told today that Momma Beasley told Mike that "you don't have to go pro to take care of the family."

Dalonte 300K was doing just fine in that department.

Comment

Michael Beasley reportedly is expected to leave Kansas State after one season and enter the NBA draft.
                veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Elvis and his sidekick have left the building…time to return to some normalcy in the lil’ apple…let’s see what these AAU coaches can do in the absence of gift wrapped lotto picks.

Comment

Do you think Martin emailed his resume to Providence?

Wonder if Beasley has watched 'Jerry MaGuire' lately?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                      Elvis and his sidekick have left the building…time to return to some normalcy in the lil’ apple…let’s see what these AAU coaches can do in the absence of gift wrapped lotto picks.

Quite honestly, I think at the very least Martin proved that he is better than Asbury & Wooly. The big gamble won't turn out to be that bad. It will be interesting to see if they can actually sign their two top 75 2009 commitments.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales

Quite honestly, I think at the very least Martin proved that he is better than Asbury & Wooly. The big gamble won't turn out to be that bad. It will be interesting to see if they can actually sign their two top 75 2009 commitments.
                        So you don’t think Asbury or Wooly could sneak into to the NCAA tournament and possibly win a game with Beasley & Walker? Put me in the camp that was not all that impressed with what K-State accomplished this season, given their respective talent level. My crystal ball tells me the kitties will be wildly inconsistent over the next 3-4 years under Martin. At some point they’ll grow tired of the roller coaster ride and will seek to smooth out the bumps over the long term. By that time maybe Henson will be ready to man the controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales

So you don’t think Asbury or Wooly could sneak into to the NCAA tournament and possibly win a game with Beasley & Walker? Put me in the camp that was not all that impressed with what K-State accomplished this season, given their respective talent level. My crystal ball tells me the kitties will be wildly inconsistent over the next 3-4 years under Martin. At some point they’ll grow tired of the roller coaster ride and will seek to smooth out the bumps over the long term. By that time maybe Henson will be ready to man the controls.
                          The guy actually showed some serious X's & O's ability. He also showed some ability to instill program discipline...which absolutely shocked me. I probably watched 10-12 KSU games this year and I was way more impressed with his coaching than I wanted to be. Don't forget that they dominated what turned out to be one of the best teams of the last decade.

Beasley & Walker are obviously excellent, but that team's guards were borderline atrocious for an NCAA tournament team. For Year 1 as a coach, Martin showed some serious potential.

He will recruit better (even sans Hill) and is a good enough coach to have them consistently a top 50-75 team. That's a huge improvement and as good as they can rightfullly expect up there.

Comment

There's no way he's going to recruit better than Beasley & Wlaker. This will be their high water mark for talent.

Now Martin may grow as a coach and develop a solid program but with Beasely & Walker gone they are in some ways back to square one.

One thing I think Martin absolutely has to do is surround himself with good quality assistants. I'm not sure going forward that Hill fits that bill.

Comment

There's no way he's going to recruit better than Beasley & Wlaker. This will be their high water mark for talent.
                              Almost every team has one assistant whose main value lies in recruiting connections.

He doesn't have to recruit top-5 players to have do an excellent job for that program. Pullen, Clemente, Sutton, Anderson, Judge, and McGruder (assuming they show) already form a young and talented nucleus that is far superior to anything Asbury and Woolridge brought in.

Comment

Working...
                              X