No announcement yet.

I dont like the age limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont have a problem with the age limit. I encourage it. The mid majors will always be able to beat the big boys the way they do now. Eventually some of those big boys are going to come to a school like ours.

Besides going to college doesnt have to be an option for these kids. The main thing about the age limit is they have to be out of high school for a year before going to the NBA draft. Whats to stop them from bypassing college and going to Europe or signing with a team on the indy league. *outside of the exposure they get in the NCAA*

And besides does this guys picture ring a bell?

heres an old write up on the age requirement

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
      I dont have a problem with the age limit. I encourage it. The mid majors will always be able to beat the big boys the way they do now. Eventually some of those big boys are going to come to a school like ours.

Besides going to college doesnt have to be an option for these kids. The main thing about the age limit is they have to be out of high school for a year before going to the NBA draft. Whats to stop them from bypassing college and going to Europe or signing with a team on the indy league. *outside of the exposure they get in the NCAA*

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mit/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
        Durant at Texas, even with Augustin, couldn't get it done.
        Texas this year - Durant = 2 seed

Texas this year + Sophomore Durant = 1 seed, Championship contender.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mit/index.html
          That face should be the poster for a new NBA Age Limit. Stick KY's face on there with the words "We don't want this to be you."
          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

The thread title made me think he was wanting to discuss going out with a sophomore in high school or something.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
              Completely different.

If your skill set is undoubtedly qualified to excel at the job and Boeing sets age requirements, you can go get a comparable job at Cessna.

The NBA isn't a company creating restrictions for employment. It is an organization setting restrictions for all competitors in their hiring practice.

There would have been many company's (if allowed) that would have loved to have hired Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, Greg Oden, etc.
              Nope. Not different at all. The NBA set a qualification players MUST meet before they are allowed to play. If they wish to be ******* and cry racism, then they can spend their 2 years filing a lawsuit they WILL lose, and their peers who are still practicing in the NCAA will pass them by. They could spend 2 years in Europe, playing for Spain and chilling by the Mediterranean Sea every day. They don't have to go to college.
              Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
              Students > Alumni
              If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
              The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
                Completely different.

If your skill set is undoubtedly qualified to excel at the job and Boeing sets age requirements, you can go get a comparable job at Cessna.

The NBA isn't a company creating restrictions for employment. It is an organization setting restrictions for all competitors in their hiring practice.

There would have been many company's (if allowed) that would have loved to have hired Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, Greg Oden, etc.
                Nope. Not different at all. The NBA set a qualification players MUST meet before they are allowed to play. If they wish to be #### and cry racism, then they can spend their 2 years filing a lawsuit they WILL lose, and their peers who are still practicing in the NCAA will pass them by. They could spend 2 years in Europe, playing for Spain and chilling by the Mediterranean Sea every day. They don't have to go to college.

This has nothing to do with racism. My prediction is that with a willing and eager employer and willing and eager employee being restricted by "collusion"...there will be a lawyer that challenges this and most likely wins. It's definitely not a black and white case, but it's a solid one that will be brought up. To argue that the given 18 year old can move to a different country to pursue his given profession will not be an attractive defense.

Comment

Completely different.

Nope. Not different at all. The NBA set a qualification players MUST meet before they are allowed to play. If they wish to be #### and cry racism, then they can spend their 2 years filing a lawsuit they WILL lose, and their peers who are still practicing in the NCAA will pass them by. They could spend 2 years in Europe, playing for Spain and chilling by the Mediterranean Sea every day. They don't have to go to college.

This has nothing to do with racism. My prediction is that with a willing and eager employer and willing and eager employee being restricted by "collusion"...there will be a lawyer that challenges this and most likely wins. It's definitely not a black and white case, but it's a solid one that will be brought up. To argue that the given 18 year old can move to a different country to pursue his given profession will not be an attractive defense.
                  The NFL was already taken to court and won its case. I don't see any reason why it would be any different for the NBA. Plus, there really aren't other real FB options available, but there are European leagues for basketball.

Comment

Have you heard Dick Vitale's solution?

Have a select group of NBA execs and scouts hand-pick the top 5 HS/prep players each year to be draft-eligible. Everyone else had to go to college for three years.

How's that for equitible treatment? :roll:

Comment

Why don't they make it like baseball? If you decide to go pro - you can. But if you choose college...you must go for a certain # of years. We've been getting punished in baseball for years for recruiting top-tier talent only to be left holding the bag when they decide to go pro...now it's time for the powers-that-be in basketball feel the pain!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
                        Why don't they make it like baseball? If you decide to go pro - you can. But if you choose college...you must go for a certain # of years. We've been getting punished in baseball for years for recruiting top-tier talent only to be left holding the bag when they decide to go pro...now it's time for the powers-that-be in basketball feel the pain!

This is probably how is should be. It wouldn't actually hurt the "power-that-be" though, it would benefit them.

Comment

I meant hurt them when they sign somebody, then they declare for the draft. They then have to fill an open spot at the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                            Completely different.

The NFL was already taken to court and won its case. I don't see any reason why it would be any different for the NBA. Plus, there really aren't other real FB options available, but there are European leagues for basketball.

Actually the federal court initially ruled in Clarett's favor. It was overturned on appeal. No one really wanted Clarett and it wasn't argued for or pushed like a case for a LeBron James case would be.

You guys can forget about the overseas stuff. That will not play a role in this potential case.

Actually what's more likely to happen sooner is for a LeBron James, Michale Beasley, or a Dwight Howard to be forced into waiting a year for their payday and get seriously injured. The lawsuit that could result would change the rule very quickly.

Comment

Comparing it to Boeing or Cessna is different in my eyes. One requires you to obtain a certain skill set which can be obtained at any age. The other limits you by age and age alone. To me it is discrimination if they have the skill set. You can't fire a 60 year old just cause they are 60 and likewise it shouldn't be limited by a lower age if they have the skills required. Now if they required some kind of money management degree before they let you in that I could go with.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                                Comparing it to Boeing or Cessna is different in my eyes. One requires you to obtain a certain skill set which can be obtained at any age. The other limits you by age and age alone. To me it is discrimination if they have the skill set. You can't fire a 60 year old just cause they are 60 and likewise it shouldn't be limited by a lower age if they have the skills required. Now if they required some kind of money management degree before they let you in that I could go with.
                                -You may not be able to fire a 60 year old because he/she is 60, but you can set an age requirement for retirement. I believe the NFL has set an age of 65 for mandatory retirement and I'm sure many other companies have done the same.

-The NBA can do whatever they want in regards to an age limit. If I owned a company I could set an age limit of 21 before I would consider hiring someone. I could do this and say I want a certain amount of maturity in my employees and they could only attain that maturity with age. That isn't discrimination. The minimum age to get married is 15 in Kansas. Is that discrimination for the 13 year olds that want to get married?
                                "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                                -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                                X