I dont like the age limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont like the age limits

I think if your good enough to play and get paid then do it, its unfair to a person to be forced to go to college when they have a good job (nba) there for them.

Soory royal, I meant this to be under the correct thread and I put it here by accident.

Comment

Re: I dont like the age limits

Originally posted by fansince80s
      I think if your good enough to play and get paid then do it, its unfair to a person to be forced to go to college when they have a good job (nba) there for them.

Agreed. Some lawyer will make a bundle on this some day.

Comment

The NBA set a regulation. They now have requirements for employment. It's no different than, say, Boeing requiring a degree in engineering to design airplane wings. Should I sue them because they won't hire me coming out of high school?
        Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
        Students > Alumni
        If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
        The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

yes ;-)
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
            The NBA set a regulation. They now have requirements for employment. It's no different than, say, Boeing requiring a degree in engineering to design airplane wings. Should I sue them because they won't hire me coming out of high school?
            Agreed.

We live in a country where non-governmental entities have the freedom to establish their own rules as long as they don't violate discrimination laws.

Personally, I don't think this is a good rule for, ummm, our continent of the college basketball world. It will allow the elites to keep the NBA lottery picks longer and have more dominance over the sport. Other quality players will get pushed down the ladder to "lower" schools, but I'm not sure that can make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
              Personally, I don't think this is a good rule for, ummm, our continent of the college basketball world. It will allow the elites to keep the NBA lottery picks longer and have more dominance over the sport. Other quality players will get pushed down the ladder to "lower" schools, but I'm not sure that can make up for it.
              I agree. One could make a pretty good argument that the one year rule helps our types as it pushes more quality kids down from the upper tier schools. I'm comfortable making the trade off for one year. A two year rule though would allow those superstars another year of development and would be pretty hard to compete with IMO.

Comment

But, IMO, that will load up the BCS schools with more and more 2 and done players, meaning many very good 4 year BCS quality players will not have a roster spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                  But, IMO, that will load up the BCS schools with more and more 2 and done players, meaning many very good 4 year BCS quality players will not have a roster spot.
                  I just don't think the players that will "fall" to us, even if 4-year players, will compensate for 2-year lottery-pick talent at the elites.

Comment

I would disagree, respectfully, Royal. How many of the "Lottery Pick Frosh" have made a deep run in the tourney the past two years?

Oden at Ohio State, but he was playing with his HS teammate and they already had built a chemistry. They were also pretty good team players.

Love at UCLA, but while surrounded by mega talent, they struggled in many games that they should have easily won.

Durant at Texas, even with Augustin, couldn't get it done.

Beasley at Kansas State, even with Walker, couldn't get it done.

The list goes on and on. Yes, they win a lot of games, but they repeatedly lose to those teams that play as TEAMS. Florida the past 2 years and Kansas this year had talent and the advantage that the players spent 2-3 years playing together to develop chemistry.

Comment

I agree with DSB. Having them for two years may help them some but it also means they aren't getting rid of that scholarship as fast...
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

You're talking about 1-year players. I expect the recruiting situation will be very different with 2-year players . It will allow the teams who already have a lottery-pick player coming back to offer another potential lottery-pick kid the opportunity to get to the Final Four and play for a national championship.

You mention Beasley. I happen to think KSU isn't even a tournament team without him. Put him there two years and you have a team that otherwise wouldn't be in the tournament taking possibly two bids from another bubble-team and maybe a non-BCS team.

So it's not just about the upper-level BCS teams dominating, it's the mid-to-lower tier teams potentially taking valuable NCAA tournament bids from other teams just because they have a superstar on their roster.

Comment

But K-State had 2 of them this year with Walker and Beasley. They would have to stockpile them or else they would be just an average team as KSU was last year. But they still didn't play well together. Is it possible that the non-BCS teams lose at large's? Yep. Does it give the ones that make it a better chance to go deeper? Yep.

Plus, they could only be on the roster one year together. L Pick #1 comes in and plays a year. L Pick #2 comes in and they play together a year. Then L Pick #1 leaves and maybe then L Pick #3 comes in and 2 and 3 play one year together.

The non-BCS teams that have success are the ones with a core group that have played 3 or 4 years together, have experience, talent, and good coaching.

Comment

I could imagine that if kids have to spend 2 years in nba-purgatory that they may opt to head overseas or play in some semi-pro league for pay.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
                              Completely different.

If your skill set is undoubtedly qualified to excel at the job and Boeing sets age requirements, you can go get a comparable job at Cessna.

The NBA isn't a company creating restrictions for employment. It is an organization setting restrictions for all competitors in their hiring practice.

There would have been many company's (if allowed) that would have loved to have hired Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, Greg Oden, etc.

I

Comment

Working...
                              X