Off season banter..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off season banter..

Its sunday night and i got bored with watching the nfl draft on my dvr so i figured I'd just come here and pick you guys brains with random hypothetical questions and hyperbole

1. If mark turgeon was still head coach what shape do you guys think this program would be in right now?

2. If you had to choose between the final four run and the move to the AAC which would you choose?

3. How do you think Mike Kennedy really feels about the AAC move?

4. Who replaces WSU as the premiere flagship in the MVC now that we are gone?

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? (Impossible to answer i know)

6. Most injury prone player who did not live up to their full potential? (Really random i know)

7. Worst game you have ever experienced as a fan?

8. Best game you have ever experienced as a fan?

9. 2014 undefeated team vs next years team, who ya got?

10. Where do you guys see the program in 10 years?

Really random questions i know..but i just love coming on here and reading so much info you guys have when it comes to team history and your opinions.
    Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

1. If mark turgeon was still head coach what shape do you guys think this program would be in right now? Solidly handling the MVC, being friendly with everyone.

2. If you had to choose between the final four run and the move to the AAC which would you choose? Great question. AAC.

3. How do you think Mike Kennedy really feels about the AAC move? I don't think, I know.

4. Who replaces WSU as the premiere flagship in the MVC now that we are gone? UNI for the time being.

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? (Impossible to answer i know) Zero question, and I love Ron, but Fred is the answer.

6. Most injury prone player who did not live up to their full potential? (Really random i know) Darren Dugger

7. Worst game you have ever experienced as a fan? SIU at the KS Coliseum

8. Best game you have ever experienced as a fan? 78-65

9. 2014 undefeated team vs next years team, who ya got? 2014.

10. Where do you guys see the program in 10 years? From 6 feet under.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      1. If mark turgeon was still head coach what shape do you guys think this program would be in right now? Solidly handling the MVC, being friendly with everyone.

2. If you had to choose between the final four run and the move to the AAC which would you choose? Great question. AAC.

3. How do you think Mike Kennedy really feels about the AAC move? I don't think, I know.

4. Who replaces WSU as the premiere flagship in the MVC now that we are gone? UNI for the time being.

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? (Impossible to answer i know) Zero question, and I love Ron, but Fred is the answer.

6. Most injury prone player who did not live up to their full potential? (Really random i know) Darren Dugger

7. Worst game you have ever experienced as a fan? SIU at the KS Coliseum

8. Best game you have ever experienced as a fan? 78-65

9. 2014 undefeated team vs next years team, who ya got? 2014.

10. Where do you guys see the program in 10 years? From 6 feet under.
      Well that ending was depressing.

Comment

Its sunday night and i got bored with watching the nfl draft on my dvr so i figured I'd just come here and pick you guys brains with random hypothetical questions and hyperbole

1. If mark turgeon was still head coach what shape do you guys think this program would be in right now? Winning the Valley regularly, not much else.
        Å
        2. If you had to choose between the final four run and the move to the AAC which would you choose? Final 4...only because I don't think the AAC happens without it.

3. How do you think Mike Kennedy really feels about the AAC move?--I think he loves it.

4. Who replaces WSU as the premiere flagship in the MVC now that we are gone?--UNI

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? (Impossible to answer i know)---FVV.

6. Most injury prone player who did not live up to their full potential? (Really random i know)---Demetric

7. Worst game you have ever experienced as a fan?--OSU at IBA this year. Just couldn't figure out who that team was on the floor.

8. Best game you have ever experienced as a fan?---UNI v. WSU at Koch. Tekelicopter game.

9. 2014 undefeated team vs next years team, who ya got?--coin flip

10. Where do you guys see the program in 10 years?--Tearing up the American and a regular contender to make a deep run in March/April.

Really random questions i know..but i just love coming on here and reading so much info you guys have when it comes to team history and your opinions.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

1. If mark turgeon was still head coach what shape do you guys think this program would be in right now?
          A: Tough to say. What kind of lineup would Bowles and that kid that got injured for Northeastern have been? MVC results not that much different.

2. If you had to choose between the final four run and the move to the AAC which would you choose?
          A: Final Four. We could go to three more in four years or that could be our last. Whodathunk 1996 was our last CWS?

A: Gotta imagine he likes it. Could an equipmemt upgrade be in the cards?

4. Who replaces WSU as the premiere flagship in the MVC now that we are gone.
          A: IDGAF,but Bradley, probably.

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? (Impossible to answer i know
          A: Fred and I think Ron is a terrific player.

6. Most injury prone player who did not live up to their full potential? (Really random i know)
          A: Grady. I don't think we ever saw his best game.

A: 2007 SIU at home. Jenn Sterger and ESPN to watch us get thumped with no answers on offense.
          A: FSU NIT.

Next year. Shaq and Rauno are too much for three headed monster. Shamet, McDuffie, and Brown do just enough to balance Fred, Ron, Tekele and Cle...mid thought edit, Driving Cle pulls it out for 14, but jumpshootimg Cle = 2018 ftw

A: Without a coaching change, consistent top 20 level program catching lightning in a bottle every few years with Seniors and special players...like 2018 is shaping up.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

At the former mvc level probably. Making NCAA Tourney every 3rd or 4th year. Whatever Elgin, Roy Williams and Larry Brown thought was "fair".

Final Four!!!

Think he's "comfortable" in smaller towns. Hope I'm wrong.

Johnson County residents will say UMKC...but I will guess whoever Elgin wants.

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? (Impossible to answer i know)

PG!!!!!!!!!!

This is the most difficult question. My first guess would be Tekele Cotton because you just know he was more injured than most but didn't ever say a peep to no man about his hurt...plus he excelled on all levels ovee his career!!! But the easy answer is Matt Brauer. Young man was tough as nails (comparable to Tekele) and his hard play for our Shockers sent him to the Dr's office almost as often as a middle-school pre-teen young lady with cramps. Kid was a stud. Missed a few big time games due to injury but had a HEART of a LION!!!!

Las Vegas when we were #8 in all the land.

Against Tulsa...1983 or '84 or maybe '85. Lol

2014...but definitely to be determined...

10. Where do you guys see the program in 10 yrs?

Perennial ASS-KICKER!!!!!

FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

UNI level.

Final 4

He's excited.

Bradley in a few years.

Fred= winner

Mantis Griskenas

Gonzagaish
              Livin the dream

Comment

A: Handling the Valley but not running roughshod over it like WSU has recently.

A: As pumped as I am about the move to The American, I'm not so sure it happens without the Final Four, so
                I'll take the Final Four.

A: Same as me...freaking jacked!

A: UNI, I guess.

A: Ron would win 1 on 1, I think...but to answer your question, it's Fred and I don't have to think on that.

A: Mantas Griskenas or DJ Bowles

A: I still cannot watch replays of the UNI buzzer beater in 2005. Vanderbilt doesn't bother me so much, but seeing Ben Jacobsen turn around and slap our press tables makes me want to go all violent on him.

A: The 2014 Kentucky game was the best game that I have ever seen, but I want to mention a win here, so I'll go with February 28, 2015, ESPN Gameday versus UNI. Oddly enough, it was the ten-year anniversary of the worst experience I ever had. Back to 2015 though, it was such a special day.

A: Ask me that again in a few years, but my initial reaction gives the nod to 2014.

A: I am hopeful for the program as far as things within its control, but I worry about the things outside of its control. The ESPN layoffs are a bad sign, I think. The chasm is only going to get wider within college athletics. I hope WSU has positioned itself to be on the right side of it, but I still worry.
                78-65

Comment

1. About like UNI and I don't mean that as an insult. Go to tourney every other year or so, win a game here and there;
                  2. Final Four. Accomplishment that was the signature of HCGM era
                  3. Sad to leave his media friends in those towns but psyched about all else
                  4. Bradley or UNI
                  5. Fred, I experienced Orlando first hand
                  6. Mantas, easily
                  7. Us vs Iowa in Orlando, playing with our JV
                  8. The Omaha Stakes or 13 Ohio St game
                  9. Undefeated team just because of interior defense
                  10. Top 25 every year--regular Sweet 16s

Comment

I think we would be comparable to UNI or ISUR. Our best seasons would probably put us in the 30s in KenPom. We'd still have more support and more resources going towards basketball than other Valley schools, but we probably wouldn't have received an AAC invite.
                    AAC invite. Creates cache that lasts beyond one season. But hey, we've got both.
                    Glad that he doesn't have to trudge through 30 point beatdowns at home every single night. Games will actually be exciting. More work, but he likes working.
                    Probably UNI. They've been the most consistent (which says a lot about how bad the MVC has been). ISUR also up there because they have decent fan support.
                    Fred.
                    Bret Michael (I kid, but mainly because I knew him in college and sucked for him having to go through the concussion stuff).
                    I sat through some pretty bad games in 07-08 and 08-09 when 3G was getting things going again. Most gut-wrenching loss was absolutely the Louisville game because we were every bit as good as (and maybe better than) Michigan.
                    KU game probably, mainly because I was there. Finishing up the undefeated season at Arch Madness and the Ohio State victory are up there though.
                    2014. We take for granted how good the big guys were (especially on defense) that season. That team was so complete. And the strategy of putting Zach Brown on a point guard probably wouldn't work against that team because of how much FVV utilized the PNR and how much of a matchup problem Cle was.
                    Another Final Four or two, maybe a natty. Still in the AAC. Coach Chris Jans takes the reigns as Marshall retires to a beach somewhere.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Answering before reading everyone else's responses so far...

1. If mark turgeon was still head coach what shape do you guys think this program would be in right now? We wouldn't have a Final Four banner hanging in the rafters. But we'd probably still be top of the Valley and wouldn't be headed to the AAC right now.

2. If you had to choose between the final four run and the move to the AAC which would you choose? Really tough question. I'll say Final Four for now because I got to go to it and be in the Student Section. A memory I'll cherish forever. Haven't made AAC memories yet.

3. How do you think Mike Kennedy really feels about the AAC move? Probably like me, a young boy on Christmas Day who just got a go-kart.

4. Who replaces WSU as the premiere flagship in the MVC now that we are gone? UNI

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? (Impossible to answer i know) I'll go with Fred mostly because of how the 2014-'15 season went while he was injured.

6. Most injury prone player who did not live up to their full potential? (Really random i know) Maybe Matt Braeuer? His concussions really hindered his final season. Not that we were very good then, but we could have at least enjoyed watching Matty B.

7. Worst game you have ever experienced as a fan? A game from the 2009 season. Can't remember who we played, but I remember yelling and whining so much in the top row that a fellow Shocker fan looked over and couldn't help but laugh at me. I just remember we were racking up fouls and getting stomped.

8. Best game you have ever experienced as a fan? Despite the heartbreaking loss, I have to say 2014 NCAA tourney game against Kentucky. Best basketball game I have ever seen in person. Absolute thriller from tip to finish.

9. 2014 undefeated team vs next years team, who ya got? 2014 team by a bucket.

10. Where do you guys see the program in 10 years? Perpetually near the top of the AAC, which is solidly a top 6 conference. A few more Sweet 16 banners, another Final Four banner. Possibly a championship?

Last edited by ShockerPhi; May 1, 2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Kicking MVC butt but still talked about as a "high mid-major."

Love the move to the American but it doesn't happen without that FF run.

No longer a local so I have no opinion.

UNI.

Fred was the coach on the court and absolutely controlled the tempo of the games.

DJ Bowles. He wasn't injury prone, but his heart condition was such that we never got a chance to see what the young man might have brought to the team. But true to the classiness of this program, the university honored his scholarship and the young man was part of the team nevertheless.

Last year's OSU game at IBA. Flew in from DC to see the game with my family. The build up right before tip off was off the charts and I was convinced OSU would wilt under the noise and lights. I was wrong.

The NCAA tournament win over Iowa at the Roundhouse 1981 that set us up for the first Sunflower Showdown.

I'm going with next year's team.

3G closing in on 800 victories as a coach.

Comment

1. If mark turgeon was still head coach what shape do you guys think this program would be in right now? Winning the MVC regularly. Tourny wins here and there, but rarely making it to the second weekend.

2. If you had to choose between the final four run and the move to the AAC which would you choose? Final Four. It was too special to discount in any way.

3. How do you think Mike Kennedy really feels about the AAC move? I hope he is even more excited about it than I am.

4. Who replaces WSU as the premiere flagship in the MVC now that we are gone? UNI

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? (Impossible to answer i know) Fred. I love Ron, but Fred was the unequivocal leader of that team.

6. Most injury prone player who did not live up to their full potential? (Really random i know) DJ Bowels. Not anything that he could ever control, but it was sad to see such a promising career never get off the ground. I wish that young man the very best.

7. Worst game you have ever experienced as a fan? OSU at IBA. I thought our season was lost.

8. Best game you have ever experienced as a fan? Battle of New Orleans. No, I wasn't there, but I was glued to the TV on the day my mom and stepdad got married. A great day for two very special reasons.

9. 2014 undefeated team vs next years team, who ya got? 2014. No unknowns there. Ask me again next April.

10. Where do you guys see the program in 10 years? Reloading from our latest National Championship!
                          Go Shocks!

Comment

-UNI

-THE F4 Run or AAC? I'll take the AAC. If we were still in the MVC and you gave me a freeroll to the F4 next year with a chance at a championship I probably take the F4.

-He seemed anti-conference change before the move was announced. I haven't heard anything from him since then, maybe he's on board. Based on previous comments I'll guess he's happy for WSU but annoyed with it as it pertains to his job and he'll retire in a couple years.

-Bradley has the opportunity, we will see if they seize it. No one else has the ability to be a flagship.

-Fred

-I can't really think of anyone who even fits the description of injury prone, let alone had a lackluster career because of it. I'll go with Fred just because of his senior season and what he's done in the D-League.

-UK 2014. That was a huge gut punch after not losing for a year.

-Gonzaga

-Next year's.

-Cincinnati is a solid example

Comment

1. If mark turgeon was still head coach what shape do you guys think this program would be in right now? Perrenial Valley Contender -- Still in the Valley

2. If you had to choose between the final four run and the move to the AAC which would you choose? I don't have to choose. We have both. We know the Final Four was great and probably a significant factor in our gaining membership in the AAC. How the move to the AAC will eventually work out remains to be seen but staying in the Valley did not seem very exciting.

3. How do you think Mike Kennedy really feels about the AAC move? My guess is he likes it a lot. Although I'm sure there is an element of sadness in leaving the Valley as well.

4. Who replaces WSU as the premiere flagship in the MVC now that we are gone? Not sure anyone will. In fact, not sure the Valley really wants a premier flagship. If any program becomes a premier flagship will the stay in the Valley?

5. If you had to choose who was more important to the team, Fred or Ron, who would you choose? Fred

6. Most injury prone player who did not live up to their full potential? Not sure about that one. Worst injury was John Cooper.

7. Worst game you have ever experienced as a fan? Moorehead State 36 - Shockers 35 after the Shocks lead at halftime 35-3. You didn't say it had to be basketball.

8. Best game you have ever experienced as a fan? From a fan experience perspective I would say the Florida State NIT game.

9. 2014 undefeated team vs next years team, who ya got? Check back with me at the end of next season.

10. Where do you guys see the program in 10 years? ​I see them in the year 2027.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X