upgrade to Koch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade to Koch

Finally!! Been wanting some cool introductions before games and matches...

WICHITA STATE ATHLETICS
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    APR. 20, 2017

WICHITA STATE TO UPGRADE CHARLES KOCH ARENA LIGHTING WITH ENERGY-EFFICIENT LED LAMPS

WICHITA, Kan. – Work will begin soon to upgrade the lighting inside Wichita State's Charles Koch Arena with new quick-start, energy-efficient LED lamps.

The summer project is expected to provide significant long term savings for the University, with a payback date of less than 12 years.

The new fixtures will last longer and consume far less energy than the existing metal halide lamps. In addition, crews will use the opportunity to replace the arena's 61-year old wiring, ensuring future reliability, and to construct a truss system, which will allow court lighting to be lowered for more convenient lamp replacement.

For Shocker basketball and volleyball fans, some of the changes will be subtle (such as the brightness of the arena and the way it presents itself on television) and others not-so-subtle. While metal halide lights need time to warm up, LEDs turn on immediately, allowing for the possibility of pregame spotlight introductions.

A&H Electric, Wichita, is the low bid contractor for the project. The contract completion date is Sept. 15. The cost of the lamp replacement is $410,769. The rewiring was an alternate bid of $31,500 for a total cost of $442,269. The project was funded from the WSU Physical Plant budget.

Has anyone ever brought up the topic of wind energy and solar panels to be placed on roofs to generate electricity that WSU can sell?
    SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
    gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
      For Shocker basketball and volleyball fans, some of the changes will be subtle (such as the brightness of the arena and the way it presents itself on television) and others not-so-subtle. While metal halide lights need time to warm up, LEDs turn on immediately, allowing for the possibility of pregame spotlight introductions.
      Yes. YESSSS! I'm excited for this.

Related, do you all remember the little light show they tried to do with the phone app in the student section? I know the professor, Jim Steck, who helped design that app and he had said he was disappointed with the result. But said when they get these new lights, they would try again and it should look much better. So this change should add to the production of the game day experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
        Yes. YESSSS! I'm excited for this.

Related, do you all remember the little light show they tried to do with the phone app in the student section? I know the professor, Jim Steck, who helped design that app and he had said he was disappointed with the result. But said when they get these new lights, they would try again and it should look much better. So this change should add to the production of the game day experience.
        Heck yes! Do this up right. Time to up our game. I took my kids to the Avatar show this year at IBA and there was a lot of audience participation with our phones. Totally cool. It can and should be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ShanShock View Post
          Has anyone ever brought up the topic of wind energy and solar panels to be placed on roofs to generate electricity that WSU can sell?
          I'm sure its been thought about at different levels. Its unlikely that solar banks on top of buildings and a few wind turbines could generate enough power to satisfy WSU's power needs let alone have excess capacity to sell. They could reduce the amount of electricity WSU has to produce or buy though.

The high start up costs for both technologies probably mean we won't see anything like this anytime soon.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Matter of fact, we need to redesign the whole stadium to improve acoustics....time to bring in the wrecking crew. Call it the Oval House. or maybe the polygonal house.

Comment

Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
              Matter of fact, we need to redesign the whole stadium to improve acoustics....time to bring in the wrecking crew. Call it the Oval House. or maybe the polygonal house.
              Well they probably won't do that anytime soon after a rewire job on the roof.

Comment

dang it, i was really hoping polygonal house would really take off.

Comment

Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
                  What needs improved with the acoustics? The round design is optimal for crowd noise to be directed at the court. Also, not a bad seat in the house (minus the 20 or so seats behind a pole in the top row).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                    What needs improved with the acoustics? The round design is optimal for crowd noise to be directed at the court. Also, not a bad seat in the house (minus the 20 or so seats behind a pole in the top row).
                    Agreed. Awesome basketball venue.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I remember reading this story when they upgraded it. Problem still persists just because of the way it's constructed. Not a problem anymore. Just could improve.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                        I'm sure its been thought about at different levels. Its unlikely that solar banks on top of buildings and a few wind turbines could generate enough power to satisfy WSU's power needs let alone have excess capacity to sell. They could reduce the amount of electricity WSU has to produce or buy though.

The high start up costs for both technologies probably mean we won't see anything like this anytime soon.
                        Thanks for responding - kinda off topic - sorry!
                        SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                        gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                            Heck yes! Do this up right. Time to up our game. I took my kids to the Avatar show this year at IBA and there was a lot of audience participation with our phones. Totally cool. It can and should be done.
                            Pumped for this. Aside from the possibilities of special effects, the light quality of the LEDs alone will be a big improvement over the metal halides.
                            As an electrician that yellowish color the metal halides put off was slightly irritating when watching games on TV lol

Comment

McIntyre, who orchestrates music, promotions and video during games, is building scripts and borrowing ideas.
                              “I love game days,” he said. “I’ve been studying different pieces … to see what we can do to help these kind of things that can drive attendance. ‘What are they going to do next?’ ‘What are our intros going to look like?’ ‘What’s going to happen during Shocker Madness?’ I want people to talk about those things.”
                              Quick! Someone find McIntyre's contact info so we can bombard him with ideas. Many threads have come and gone complaining about the game day experience. Let's let him know how we feel about timeouts and lack of pump up music.

Comment

Working...
                              X