No announcement yet.

Greg Heiar to LSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a little surprising but not unexpected eventually. We've already spun of a few successful coaches, and top-tier programs do that. Whatever the reasons, Coach Heier has to do what's best for him and his family and I wish him all the best.

Coach Marshall has had no problems finding assistant coaches. I am not worried in the slightest.

Thank you, Coach Heier for all of your work here, and go revive that proud program! (read: Beat Kentucky!!)

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      According to goshockers, WSU currently has three assistant coaches, none of whom is listed as "associate head coach," plus one special assistant who used to hold that role.

It's possible Heiar would like to be the AHC, and not at all unreasonable that he might, but that he didn't see it coming to pass. If so, it would be no great surprise for him (a) to be frustrated, and (b) to look elsewhere. He's obviously an excellent coach and recruiter and well qualified to move up if the right opportunity arises, and maybe Will Wade is willing to offer him a higher spot on his totem pole -- one from which he'd be more easily able to take the next step to a head coaching job. If so, best of luck to him.

Edit: Didn't see shockvalue's speculation before posting, but I think he's likely right on target. If Marshall were Bill Self, he'd keep the special assistant job open, offer it to the Lawson dad from Memphis, and see what happens. Personally, I'm glad WSU doesn't operate that way.
      I also believe GH was here as an assistant coach for a longer period of time than CJ was here before he was named Associate Head Coach.

Comment

Yeah, the only unexpected part for me was that he left for another assistants job at a program that isn't in a nationally relevant position right now. I expected him to take a head job somewhere as the next jump. He always seemed like a good guy but I have no inside connections. If Jans isn't the replacement I am sure that there are many good candidates to pick from. This has to be one of the most attractive jobs available for an up and comer.
        One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Hate to see GH go. I think he is a tremendous coach. I kind of thought he would have a head coaching gig by now. Most likely he left for $$$.

HCGM will be busy interviewing assistant coach candidates. My guess is that there will be a huge stack of applications.
          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Thanks ACGH for all you have done during this special time at WSU. I don't know you at all but I have always loved your passion you have shown to the players as they are coming off the floor. You have represented us well. Good Luck in the future !

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
              A real loss for WSU. I choose not to believe the rumors.
              I would hope so as well....why WOULD you talk behind backs? That stuff ALWAYS gets out....

Comment

It's a million to one that it's anybody other than Jans.

Comment

Yeah, obviously I have not had enough coffee yet.
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

So bring in an assistant from an AAC school who know a little about our new competition. Get a leg up on conference game prep. ;)

(I do recognize that CJ will most likely take that spot.)
                    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                      So bring in an assistant from an AAC school who know a little about our new competition. Get a let up on conference game prep.
                      This is a practice that is frowned upon, to put it as lightly as possible. But as almost everyone has alluded to here, our new Assistant/Associate Head Coach is already here.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                        So bring in an assistant from an AAC school who know a little about our new competition. Get a leg up on conference game prep. ;)

(I do recognize that CJ will most likely take that spot.)
                        What about Barry Henson?
                        I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Chris Jans was always gonna get his job back... He just had to wait his turn in line

Comment

GH wanted the job if 3G left...hopefully this just means he know 3G isnt going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bighouse View Post
                              GH wanted the job if 3G left...hopefully this just means he know 3G isnt going anywhere.
                              What assistant wouldn't?

Comment

I'm as surprised as all of us with this announcement and have absolutely no inside information or knowledge of how, why or when the decision was made but I wish Coach Heiar all the best and know it's not the last we've heard of him. I think his tutelage has a bit to do with both Ron and Fred making NBA rosters and I'm concerned to see that teaching and coaching aspect go away.

I agree with all of the comments regarding Coach Jans and would guess he's moving up the chain.

But I think the other assistant coach who may have a big impact is Coach Lindsted. I suspect his recruiting prowess is such that the loss of Coach Heiar will not hurt our recruiting efforts as much as some have said.
                                Last edited by Bluzrover; April 12, 2017, 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X