Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
    Unjustified arrogance.
    In all fairness, comparing the Houston DePressed to our daily newspaper is an insult to all daily newspapers.

I would compare the writing (outside the restaurant reviews Dan pointed out as well as my addition of the band and bar scene) more favorable to the Greensheet and less to the Houston Chronicle (our daily newspaper).

Their writers are judgmental and like to make overly broad statements, which is what ignorant people do. I wouldn't lend much credence to their writing for general news stories.

If however, the writer is talking about a political or judicial scandal (or a feature on how XYZ company is ripping people off (their words)) I would give it more credence, as when they compose those articles they generally have their facts in order. Note the caveat would apply to LOCAL stories as opposed to national ones.

Comment

Houston Input

I received a copy of a newspaper article in a Houston newspaper yesterday from a good friend who lives in a Houston suburb. It was a very positive article. I didn't save the article & don't remember the name of the newspaper involved.

Comment

UH gets overshadowed in the paper and sports talk by the Texans, Rockets, Astros, Longhorns and Aggies. It doesn't help that the campus is located in a part of town where there is literally nothing to, not to mention the perceived safety concerns. Their football team is helping to raise local interest and I think the basketball arena renovations will help as well, but there just isn't that much chatter locally about UH unless they are Top 10 and getting ready to play a big game at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          UH gets overshadowed in the paper and sports talk by the Texans, Rockets, Astros, Longhorns and Aggies. It doesn't help that the campus is located in a part of town where there is literally nothing to, not to mention the perceived safety concerns. Their football team is helping to raise local interest and I think the basketball arena renovations will help as well, but there just isn't that much chatter locally about UH unless they are Top 10 and getting ready to play a big game at home.
          Your comments, however, do not apply to students at U of H downtown (13,285 students) or Clear Lake (8,500). Those numbers are significant. There is quite a bit to do both downtown and in Clear Lake and those campuses are relatively safe.

Comment

Originally posted by wheathead View Post
            I totally agree. We are one major head injury lawsuit away from the trickle of decline becoming much more substantial.
            Spot On!!!
            SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
            gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

Just to clarify, the Houston Press is not really a newspaper, it's an arts & entertainment guide. I would not get too worked up about anything written in the Houston Press. Most people read it for the restaurant reviews.
              Once upon a time, long, long ago, the greater City of Houston enjoyed three newspapers as follows:
              The Houston Post
              The Houston Chronicle
              The Houston Press

The Press was the step-child, when competing against the two larger papers. It declared bankruptcy in the 50s.

Eventually the Post and Chronicle merged on some basis and the surviving name became The Houston Chronicle.

Apparently the Press rose from the ashes and returned in a specialty niche.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Football will always be popular with the traditional power's fanbase. Their continued push to limit opportunity for all schools to compete at the highest level cannot broaden its popularity IMO.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Sounds like someone is still bitter that they didn't get that Big XII invite.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

Could not be more excited about seeing the Shox in my backyard. Let me know if you all ever decide to come down for a game.
                    Will do. I have a buddy that lives right outside of Houston too. Hoping the game gets scheduled for a weekend and I will try to make it down. At UH, tickets shouldn't even be that hard to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      I personally think football has peaked and will be on a steady decline in the future.
                      What is the pecking order for football:

1. NFL Football
                      2. NFL Fantasy Football Leagues
                      3. SEC Football
                      4. ACC Football
                      5. Pac12 Football
                      6. Big 10 Football
                      7. Big 12-2 Football
                      8. My Kid's High School Football Team
                      9. Madden 18
                      10. AAC Football

Or something like that.

Comment

Foolish Houston media. Mods, where's the dislike button?

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                          Foolish Houston media. Mods, where's the dislike button?
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I agree with you EXCEPT for Drone Racing. As an avid Drone Racer myself, I consider the sport to still be growing considerably, especially with the somewhat recently signed ESPN deal for the DRL (Drone Racing League). Althought the grass roots racing league MultiGP is a better organization, just not at all fan friendly.
                            Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                            This. Football will go the way of boxing. Soccer, Lacrosse, basketball, rugby, drone racing, Walking Dead: New Orleans...something less dangerous to long term health and less expensive to play and produce will fill the void.

Comment

Perfect thread for this:

Comment

Good to see we are already leading in the AAC

Comment

Working...
                                X