2017-18 Media Hate Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 Media Hate Thread

"Wichita State Joins The AAC, But Is That Really A Big Deal?" - The Houston Press

Original reporting and compelling writing on local news, restaurants, arts and culture have made the Houston Press a vital resource for readers who want to understand and engage with their community.

By John Royal
    Monday, April 10, 2017 at 8 a.m.

"...But it’s hard to see how Friday’s much-ballyhooed move of adding Wichita State to the conference does that much to improve the conference’s overall standing. It helps Wichita State, of course, by giving the school a better conference and better competition for its men’s basketball team, a perennial NCAA Tournament seed which has struggled with seeding because of the weakness of its previous conference. But Wichita State does not have a football team, and in college sports, power is defined by football...."

This will be the new major theme against our University's Athletics, that since we don't play FBS football, we may be allowed on the "power" or "major" bus, but we will be relegated to the back of the bus. Sure, we will lose the moniker of "mid-major" in about 90% of future articles and other press coverage, perhaps even eliminated completely, but until the way "power" or "major" is redefined in college athletics, we will still have challenges being considered amongst the "big-boys".

I would expect to hear something like that out of Houston. They think the world revolves around football in texas and barely know what basketball is.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Football has always been King in Texas and will always remain so.

Comment

I personally think football has peaked and will be on a steady decline in the future.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          "Wichita State Joins The AAC, But Is That Really A Big Deal?" - The Houston Press

Original reporting and compelling writing on local news, restaurants, arts and culture have made the Houston Press a vital resource for readers who want to understand and engage with their community.

By John Royal

"...But it’s hard to see how Friday’s much-ballyhooed move of adding Wichita State to the conference does that much to improve the conference’s overall standing. It helps Wichita State, of course, by giving the school a better conference and better competition for its men’s basketball team, a perennial NCAA Tournament seed which has struggled with seeding because of the weakness of its previous conference. But Wichita State does not have a football team, and in college sports, power is defined by football...."

This will be the new major theme against our University's Athletics, that since we don't play FBS football, we may be allowed on the "power" or "major" bus, but we will be relegated to the back of the bus. Sure, we will lose the moniker of "mid-major" in about 90% of future articles and other press coverage, perhaps even eliminated completely, but until the way "power" or "major" is redefined in college athletics, we will still have challenges being considered amongst the "big-boys".
          The only thing we add in regards to UH MBB is someone else to look up to in the standings

Comment

Here's what happened leading up to that article being written.

Editor: There's so much positive press about the conference adding WSU, I want to be different so we stand out. Write a contrarian article questioning whether the move makes sense.

Writer: But the move does make sense.

Editor: Doesn't matter.

Writer: Well what do you want me to do? Make stuff up? Ignore the point of adding WSU? Come up with poorly conceived conclusions?

Editor: Whatever you have to do. I want it Monday morning.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

By John Royal

Unjustified arrogance.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

By John Royal

Interesting slant. Power is defined by football and they call themselves in the "P6", yet when it becomes the basketball season, the P5+1 the media uses does not include the AAC. The +1 is a no football conference. How does that happen if power is defined by football?

On the basketball side, the addition of WSU has done that. The next thing in basketball for the AAC is to strongly encourage teams not to be below 200 in RPI. If the AAC can start to infiltrate the rankings of top 6 in basketball on a regular basis, the perception of the conference as a whole goes up. That's not going to happen with football. Their not going to break that P5 barrier. However, this better overall perception of the conference through basketball could help in recruiting better football players in the future.

Comment

Just to clarify, the Houston Press is not really a newspaper, it's an arts & entertainment guide. I would not get too worked up about anything written in the Houston Press. Most people read it for the restaurant reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Just to clarify, the Houston Press is not really a newspaper, it's an arts & entertainment guide. I would not get too worked up about anything written in the Houston Press. Most people read it for the restaurant reviews.
                    Outside of the obvious benefits for WSU, how selfishly excited for this move are you personally?

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
                      Outside of the obvious benefits for WSU, how selfishly excited for this move are you personally?
                      Could not be more excited about seeing the Shox in my backyard. Let me know if you all ever decide to come down for a game.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        I personally think football has peaked and will be on a steady decline in the future.
                        I totally agree. We are one major head injury lawsuit away from the trickle of decline becoming much more substantial.

Comment

You should let them know we have a Chick-Fil-A on campus!

Comment

Thanks for that perspective, Dan. Not being from Houston, I didn't think I recognized the "Press" name.

Definitely a case of, "consider the source."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              This. Football will go the way of boxing. Soccer, Lacrosse, basketball, rugby, drone racing, Walking Dead: New Orleans...something less dangerous to long term health and less expensive to play and produce will fill the void.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                              X