Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will become the Shockers new conference basketball rival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I selected SMU, but not surprised by others choosing Cincinnati, Tulsa, and UConn. It is going to be very interesting to see how these matchups' develop.

Comment

I'm thinking either Cincy or Memphis with UConn a definite contender sensing a lot of east coast prestigious banter in the future.

Heck maybe SMU. Even Houston or the Florida schools. Definitely not Navy. I don't know...whoever it is...it's a GREAT DAY!!!! SHOCKERS!!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

UCONN is the popular choice because most people find it east to hate on a team who has won multiple National Championships. That's how it is in every sport at every level. Success gets hated. However, I see Cincinnati becoming more of a true rival than anyone else, due to the similar intensity and style of play. Tough, gritty players who will run through a wall for their coach. Players and a Coach who won't back down. Anyone remember that Cincy/Xavier brawl? I could see a Cincy/Shocker brawl very early on. And from that point forward, all hell could break loose every time those two teams play. I'm hoping this brings some tremendous basketball games to our eyes.

Comment

UCONN MAY be the choice, but let me tell you...the first time(AND subsequent times) that their women come to town, I'm there...have wanted to see them play for a long time!

Comment

Rivalries are usually created by some bad blood and a series of hotly contested games. Think about the throat slash at MSU and getting our championship pulled out from under us, or the brawl in Normal. The Creighton series was really heating up before they left. I think it's gonna take a couple years before a certain team emerges through various circumstances.

Comment

I think the logical choice is going to be Tulsa. Rivalries tend to lean on dat dere geographical proximity. UCONN is just too far from us and they're so up and down
              Last edited by Half Brother Dan; April 12, 2017, 08:18 AM.
              "You need to be standing on his toes when he's catching the ball. He's that good."- Gregg Marshall

Comment

Our mods are absolutely derelict right now.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                  ^ This

Comment

I think calling them mods, at this point, would be an insult to the word "mod".
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by grudkin View Post
                      ^ This
                      Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      I think calling them mods, at this point, would be an insult to the word "mod".
                      I'm just not sure how to respond to this. Probably shouldn't at all, but it really bothers me that you would insult long time members/posters on this board like this. They're not paid to this and it's their love for all things Shockers that they take this on. Yet, this is the attitude they get from fellow Shocker brothers.

If it was me, and I'm glad it's not, I would always error on the side of caution. Even if my "gut" says banhammer the h*ll out of them, they're going to have to do something truly worthy of the ban. We're going through a phase where there will be new true Shocker fans come on board due to the excitement of joining the AAC. There will also be rubbish coming on board that will need to be sorted through. I would error on the side of caution to not accidentally ban a true WSU fan who got on board at possibly the worst time and stick to moderator type rules that say it isn't who I think they are, it is actually what they say and do. Others "playing as mods" only add to the problem because they get into pissing matches with these posters.

The other part of this is that they can just be ignored: Don't Feed the Trolls. No responses and they will either up the ante , which gets them banned, or they'll get bored an quit posting. Hit the ignore button, go on your way, and let the mods do their job as they see fit and say Thank You for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        I'm just not sure how to respond to this. Probably shouldn't at all, but it really bothers me that you would insult long time members/posters on this board like this. They're not paid to this and it's their love for all things Shockers that they take this on. Yet, this is the attitude they get from fellow Shocker brothers.
                        Bingo. No one has to pay for a membership on SN.

Furthermore, it's a GD message board. Act like adults.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          Furthermore, it's a GD message board. Act like adults.
                          I feel you misunderstand the internetz.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            The other part of this is that they can just be ignored: Don't Feed the Trolls. No responses and they will either up the ante , which gets them banned, or they'll get bored an quit posting. Hit the ignore button, go on your way, and let the mods do their job as they see fit and say Thank You for your time.
                            This x 1000.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

The bashing of the mods is certainly getting old and unwarrented.

Back on topic. I'm a little confused as to why Cinci is the popular choice for our rival. I guess because they have the most sustained success outside of UCONN's championships? That's about the only thing I can think of

SMU makes sense to me because they're closer geographically and they have Janky at the helm, which was part of the start of our hatred of ISUr when he was there. I'm not sure if there's still any bad blood there, but it could make things interesting.

Comment

thats putting it nicely.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X