Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will become the Shockers new conference basketball rival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will become the Shockers new conference basketball rival?

Over the next 5 years, will become the Shockers new conference rival?
    Cincinnati Beatcats
    36.71%
    Houston Cougars
    0.63%
    Memphis Tigers
    3.16%
    SMU Mustangs
    17.09%
    Tulsa Golden Hurricane
    27.85%
    UConn Huskies
    13.92%
    Other (ECU, Temple, Tulane, UCF, USF)
    0.63%

The poll is expired.

History would say "Tulsa", but I think we've moved past that, and would really like a rivalry with Memphis.

Comment

I voted for Cincy, but I would not be surprised to see SMU or Memphis.
      Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Hold off on Memphis for awhile. They've still got troubles to overcome in their house and the re-build took a big hit.

Dedric and KJ Lawson are transferring out. Both are Memphis home grown players. Dedric, a soph, lead the Tigers in scoring at 19.2 and rebounding 9.9 per game. KJ, a freshman this last year, was 3rd in scoring at 12.3 and rebounds 8.1 per game.

Comment

Tulsa. It just makes sense.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I voted for UConn for the reason that there appears to be a very large collection of a-holes and idiots in their fan base. I'm not saying all UConn fans are that way, because we've had some very decent posters on SN that rep UConn very well. However, they do appear to have a disproportionate amount of pricks. Tulsa obviously is the natural rival, but it may take a little time for that one to heat up.
            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

It will be UConn but it will be "not a rivalry."

Comment

Tulsa, Cincinnati, or UCONN

Tulsa - makes the most sense with geography/history

Cincinnati - have been the most consistent at the top of the AAC...similar to WSU in the MVC

UCONN - heroes vs villains

Comment

UConn has recent national championships, and that's our goal.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

I agree that UConn fans here have been great but there's a good amount of them that think the world revolves around Storrs, Connecticut, wherever the **** that is.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                      I voted for UConn for the reason that there appears to be a very large collection of a-holes and idiots in their fan base. I'm not saying all UConn fans are that way, because we've had some very decent posters on SN that rep UConn very well. However, they do appear to have a disproportionate amount of pricks. Tulsa obviously is the natural rival, but it may take a little time for that one to heat up.

Comment

Tulsa
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I haven't posted on forever and spent today catching up on everything I could read. This probably isn't the right thread for most of it, but here goes.

Your "rivalry" either happens or it doesn't. In five years, it could be Tulsa, it could be UConn. It won't be USF. Maybe it will, but probably not.

Any long-standing hatred for Creighton, well that's over, too. You might want to hang onto it, but it's over. Creighton is in a place where they can't think about an out of conference school 300 miles away. And thankfully, now the Shockers are as well. Some off you might understand this right now, some won't, but with annual games against UConn, Memphis, Cincy, SMU, Houston and others, you have neither the time, nor the energy to devote to hating Creighton. Your life went from "We beat Evansville by 30, I freaking hate Creighton" to, "Boy, we barely got by Memphis, I hope we beat Cincy this Tuesday on ESPN!" You have no time for the silliness of hating a school you might never play. Even the most die hard Shockers only remember the Tulsa rivalry as something of ancient lore, the same will now happen with Creighton.

At least Missouri State isn't your rival. Part of my reading today included catching up on the Bears. Having gone through some real heartache, I've changed. I no longer laugh when I think of the Bears misfortunes, I genuinely feel sad for them. That said, they just cut their athletic budget and eliminated sports, but they still think that they are going to Big South? They are upset that you guys are moving up, and now think their best option is to simply move up to FBS football, like everybody wants them. Puzzling...

Let the rivals come to you, they will. Nothing will build a true rivalry faster and more intensely than graciously entering the AAC and winning the league by three games. Enjoy the ride, guys, you deserve it!

Edit......... I typed Big South, I should have typed Sun Belt. I'm rusty.
                          Last edited by MoValley John; April 8, 2017, 06:55 PM.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Whoa!

EDIT: Just saw you first posted in another thread last night, MVJ.

Comment

I think there will always be somewhat of a rivalry with Tulsa simply due to geography. I also think we will end with one or two other schools that we consider rivals.
                              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Working...
                              X