• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "AAC Daily: Wichita State and Houston Go Off, Plus a Look Ahead" - BCSNN

by C. Austin Cox
    Posted: Friday, 12 January 2018

http://www.bcsnn.com/blog/253-aac-da...ook-ahead.html

"When the news broke that The American was adding Wichita State in all sports (except football, of course), fans of the league were ecstatic as it meant the conference was getting a basketball program that would boost the strength of schedule for every member and it would help deliver more excitement to home games for schools like UConn, USF, Temple and Cincinnati, which were used to big time conference opponents from their time in the Big East.

And so far, the Shockers have delivered. Ranked No. 5 in the nation and currently undefeated in conference play, WSU notched its first road win in conference play since joining The American by dismantling the ECU Pirates in a 95-60 shellacking. Many are anxious to see what will happen when the Shockers clash with the other front-runner of the league, the No. 14 Cincinnati Bearcats when those two clash on February 18th in the Queen City...."

AUDIO - https://www.spreaker.com/user/bcsnn/...in-cox-1-12-18

Comment

• Our 1st road win in conference play huh.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
        Our 1st road win in conference play huh.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          "AAC Daily: Wichita State and Houston Go Off, Plus a Look Ahead" - BCSNN

by C. Austin Cox
          Posted: Friday, 12 January 2018

And so far, the Shockers have delivered. Ranked No. 5 in the nation and currently undefeated in conference play, WSU notched its first road win in conference play since joining The American by dismantling the ECU Pirates in a 95-60 shellacking. Many are anxious to see what will happen when the Shockers clash with the other front-runner of the league, the No. 14 Cincinnati Bearcats when those two clash on February 18th in the Queen City...."

AUDIO - https://www.spreaker.com/user/bcsnn/...in-cox-1-12-18

Ummm. UConn.

Comment

• Surprised this hadn’t been posted yet. The last part really calls out CF’s defense.

There might not be one great team this season, but teams such as Oklahoma, Purdue and West Virginia have been pleasant surprises. Now we have to wait and see if they can really challenge for a national title.

Comment

• Stickboy46
              Stickboy46 commented
              Editing a comment
              He's not as bad as people like to make him out to be. The only thing I've noticed lately is he seems to have been REALLY sagging off of people. I'm assuming that's due to scouting, but he's given up a few threes because he was a good 5 feet off of them while they had the ball.

• Cdizzle
              Cdizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              Some of the criticism is fair. Remember this is relative to teams trying to make F4/Championship runs. Also remember that none of the coaches interviewed saw the team with McDuffie.

Edit: Also, the context of 'early-season surprises' is idiotic, at best. If you are a so-called expert, and you are surprised that WSU is a Top 10 team this year, you shouldn't be employed.
              Last edited by Cdizzle; January 17, 2018, 03:10 PM.

• ShockCrazy
              ShockCrazy commented
              Editing a comment
              It's definitely been scout. I recall him sagging haaaaaaaard against Galen Robinson Jr against Houston, he's a career 27% 3 point shooter. Connor gets a lot of grief but he's a more than adequate defender. I certainly believe he was a better defender than Landry last year. Landry has had a few games this year where he stepped up big time defensively, notably OSU. But he hasn't been consistently good.

• Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
            Surprised this hadn’t been posted yet. The last part really calls out CF’s defense.
            This accurately describes our defensive set, not just our personell. That being said, Gregg has made changes to our earlier issues. They're still a issues , but I'd like to think we've improved. That and, I'd settle for making someone beating us off the dribble or one on one eight days a week. Much easier to stop one guy than our is to stop good team basketball.

Conner is our least athletic starter, that's why he's targeted. That and his physical attributes. But the article described why he defends the way he does.... prevent drives first. That's why we commonly see Conner hustle to contest shooters. I'm very proud of Conner.

Comment

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              GM has is now switching most ball screens. This is a big change from earlier in the year and is helping.

• It’s Friday, which means the Fast Break is running the court with the Fab Five from The Fieldhouse staff, dishing on topics on and off the floor. SETH I’d prefer to start this confab on a happier, hoops-related note, but we can’t avoid the horrific events from Lansing, Mich., where Larry...

SETH One team that intrigues me is Wichita State. It’s apparent the Shockers are not going to just waltz into the American and dominate the way they did in the Missouri Valley. Is this just a rough patch? Or did we overrate them? More significant, do you think we overrated them in past years, that maybe the Valley was even weaker than we thought?

DANA It’s funny. I was just having this conversation with someone. The Shockers got more attention when they were in the Valley because they were an oddity, the question of just how good is Wichita State a constant burning question. I don’t think this year’s struggles, if we can even call them that, negate what those earlier teams did in the Valley, and I do think the teams in the American are better. Houston is a pretty good team.

C.L. Whoa. Just because Wichita State has hit a speed bump doesn’t mean the car has overturned. The Shockers didn’t lose to last-place teams. The American, while maybe not as deep as it's been in previous years, has some quality teams. Losing to SMU and at Houston were not bad defeats. The Shockers are still in second place in the American and have two games left with Cincinnati. Those games, I believe, will ultimately decide the regular-season champ. As for past seasons, I’d take the Shockers' resume of two Sweet 16 appearances and a No. 1 seed since reaching the 2013 Final Four as a sign that we have not overrated them at all.

SAM I wrote about Wichita State’s defense being a mess last week in these exact parts. I don’t really think it’s anything the opposition is doing. Rather, it’s that the Shockers are just a mess on that end and don’t have the continuity that Gregg Marshall teams typically do. They’re a mess in pick-and-roll settings. My guess is that Marshall figures that part of the floor out and they go on a run. Honestly, I don’t think the league they play in has anything to do with it, given that a lot of these issues cropped up before conference play began. Just watch the games against California, Marquette and Notre Dame in Maui.

BRIAN I think those past Wichita State teams were probably just as good as we thought they were, and I think this Wichita State team is good but maybe a little flawed, as Sam says. Both things can be true. But they started Thursday as the No. 23 team in the country, per our friend Ken Pomeroy. That’s not, like, bad.

Comment

• Love or hate, you decide:

"It's time for the almost-annual question: Can Wichita State keep Gregg Marshall?"

Gregg Marshall yells and screams. That's how he gets his point across. But he also listens. Amid an up-and-down year at Wichita State, the man whom bigger programs are always chasing will listen again.

Comment

• DUShock
                DUShock commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the final passage says it all, "”Coach where you're loved," he says. "Coach where you're loved."

And if that's his mantra, he and Wichita State were made for each other.

"I know," Shamet says, "he loves us."”

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
              Love or hate, you decide:

"It's time for the almost-annual question: Can Wichita State keep Gregg Marshall?"

Gregg Marshall yells and screams. That's how he gets his point across. But he also listens. Amid an up-and-down year at Wichita State, the man whom bigger programs are always chasing will listen again.
              Meh, it's not bad. I feel it was mostly complimentary and was slanted more in favor of why Marshall would stay than the other way around. As far as this type of article, this was one of the better ones over the past few years.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Walker
                Walker commented
                Editing a comment
                That's exactly what I thought too. He lured readers in with the usual "Will Marshall Stay" headline but he did a good job of highlighting the appeal of Wichita, and what 3G has built here and why he'd want to stay. It really is almost like his very own kingdom where he's loved.

• It almost read like he wanted a piece on why Marshall would leave and then he realized he didn’t really have anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
                Love or hate, you decide:

Now's the time to go, if you're gonna go. We can survive

Comment

• So much time to write an article about Marshall leaving.

So little time to look up Cincinnati's remaining schedule before saying stupid things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metcalf
                    And that's the theme of the season. There is only a month left for a team many picked to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, one month to reach its potential before Selection Sunday. And, as usual, there is uncertainty about what happens next with this veteran crew and a coach who is continually pursued by Power 5 programs.
                    What!?!

Just because you say and think that, doesn't make it true, Metcalf.

It is, in fact, NOT "usual" ' round here.

Comment

• Painfully obvious the national media, the powers that be...and gulp even the NCAA (by consistently seeding him low) want him in a Power 5 conference. Nothing you or I can do about that. It is what it is...and we just keep on winning. Coach Marshall is awesome...and EVERYBODY knows it.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        Nothing you or I can do about that.
                        Not sure this is true. In fact, I would say it has been proven to be false several times.

Comment

Working...
                        X