2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Cotton is probably my favorite Shocker of all time, but he didn't play guard very well.
    Cotton never had Cotton to pass to.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Cotton never had Cotton to pass to.
      False. I'm still not sure why he never did this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
        Even tho he singlehandedly, many times, grabbed victory from the Jaws of defeat?
        His performance in the Tennessee game was the highlight of his career, IMO. He put the team on his back and carried us to victory.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          Cotton is probably my favorite Shocker of all time, but he didn't play guard very well.
          Regardless, he did have experience playing guard as in high school I believe he played the point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
            Even tho he singlehandedly, many times, grabbed victory from the Jaws of defeat?
            Yep. One of the greatest players in our history. He could kinda fake guard as a Senior.

Comment

• He made some salty threes vs. Gonzaga and Ohio State as well.
              Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                False. I'm still not sure why he never did this.
                About the only dunk possibility that he never took to get on the ESPN top 10.

Comment

• Yes, I'm ready for it!

163 likes, 2 comments - goshockersmbb on September 6, 2017: "Are you ready for it? #watchus"
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• release the kraken.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                      "#6 Wichita State Preview 2017-18" - Three Man-Weave

by Matt Cox
                      August 31, 2017

After coming up just three points shy of knocking off Kentucky in last year's NCAA tournament, Gregg Marshall will seamlessly hit the reset button with almost everyone slated to return.  With the Shockers about to embark on their first full season in the AAC, expectations have never been hi

"Postseason Projection: 2 - 3 seed

Outlook: It seems like every year during the first week of March, Gregg Marshall seems to find himself at the epicenter of a heated bracketology debate: "If the Shockers don't win the MVC tournament, are they worthy of an at-large bid?". On one side of the aisle, the selection committee purists cite how Wichita lacks the signature resume wins of other major conference bubble teams, while the hoop statisticians stubbornly point to their impressive advanced numbers (full disclosure: I side with the nerds). Regardless of where you stand, the prevailing sentiment shared by almost all reasonably intelligent basketball minds can be summed up quite succinctly: Wichita State is good; really good...."
                      Speaking of advanced metrics, has anybody heard anything recently about the NCAA deemphasizing RPI in tournament selection/seeding and adding KenPom and Sagarin metrics to the mix?

A quick internet search only yielded the little discussion I heard/read from earlier in the year that indicated a possible earliest integration for the 2018 tournament. Nothing since that I can tell.

It would be a bittersweet coincidence if the RPI-centric method that penalized us for so many years was what we would prefer after moving to the American. While I believe good basketball - which is what we have had and will have - wins games and metrics don't, it's hard to not think on a relative basis that it would be tougher to hang a Number 1 Adjusted D metric against the AAC than the MVC.

There will be at least one or two conference opponents where we can't go 11 deep on the rotation, and I definitely believe we're not going into 80+ percent of our conference games and grab a 20 point lead out of the gate that allows us to lengthen the bench, rest the starters, and then throw them in fresh as a daisy against an opponent that MIGHT be 5 deep to match our talent level.

No way in a million years would I trade a downtick of any seed-level amount to go back to the Valley, but it would be an unfortunate coincidence.

In summary:

ETR.

Comment

• Edit: PS - it was a great writeup, but how the heck are we lacking "bona fide NBA talent" with Landry on the roster?

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post
                          Speaking of advanced metrics, has anybody heard anything recently about the NCAA deemphasizing RPI in tournament selection/seeding and adding KenPom and Sagarin metrics to the mix?
                          My recollection is that they will be studying those metrics this year and evaluating how they should be incorporated into the mix. However, they would not officially added to the mix until the 2018-19 season at the earliest. I do believe they are tweaking the approach a bit this year to place a higher value on road wins than they have in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                            I did like that lefty hook shot made by that rather large young man who looks if as born to meet guards venturing into the lane.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 6, 2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                              I believe I saw a 7' guy making a very nice left-handed hook shot.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Any idea what this means?

Shocker Football...Alive in '95 errr 2005 errr 2025!!

Comment

Working...
                                X