No announcement yet.

2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Without the putrid it's of cohen, Thompson and Smithson, would anyone have seen the light of "it's now or never"?
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      Without the putrid it's of cohen, Thompson and Smithson, would anyone have seen the light of "it's now or never"?
      Those of us who remember never took that stance anyway. But Henry Levitt was badly in need of an upgrade. The 90's were genuinely depressing times for Shocker hoops. Hell, I thought Scott T. was the one! ; (

Comment

• Beggs and Turgeon were instrumental in our success but held us, or eventually would have held us back. We could not have a better President and Coach for the present.

Comment

• Beggs was a nice guy, but did exactly diddly-squat for WSU on the academic side. He was a status quo placeholder, like so many before him in the same spot.

I thank him for being the blind squirrel that found the Jim Schaus nut, and for being a genuinely good person, but that's 'bout it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
            Those of us who remember never took that stance anyway. But Henry Levitt was badly in need of an upgrade. The 90's were genuinely depressing times for Shocker hoops. Hell, I thought Scott T. was the one! ; (
            Don't feel bad I too thought he was the one.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
              Wow! Can this season start already or what!!!! This AAC is gonna be FUN!!! As good as we are...we now have some "equals" to contend with!!!

I kinda almost wish we were slotted as 3rd or 4th in preseason AAC predictions as we WILL be a hunted team this upcoming season.
              It's like someone said; we have 10 other teams to scout, they all have only one. Gonna be a great season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                Beggs was a nice guy, but did exactly diddly-squat for WSU on the academic side. He was a status quo placeholder, like so many before him in the same spot.

I thank him for being the blind squirrel that found the Jim Schaus nut, and for being a genuinely good person, but that's 'bout it.
                I think Don Beggs and John Bardo simply have different visions and philosophies. Beggs philosophy was to understand who you are and try be the best at that as you can. John Bardo's philosophy is to try to figure out what you can be and strive for that as best you can.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  I put my faith in his being on the Lute Olsen coaching tree. Wishful (very) thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Our arena was a complete dump before the renovation. It was hard to attract good athletes or coaches. People weren't coming to games and booster activity was low. I was a student from the end of Fogler through Cohen, Thompson, and maybe the beginning of Smithson. In other words, the absolute worst times in our history. We were bottom of the barrel in the MVC. We were Thursday night losers in St. Louis, nobody went to those games. Jim Schaus, with large donations from Charles Koch, turned this whole thing around. They created a vision and found the right young coach that was willing to risk his career on a vision. Turgeon may have seen this as a stepping stone and left the cupboard dry when he bailed, but he showed that you can win at WSU. Without all this becoming reality, there is no 3G. 3G will have his name on banners, and rightly so, but we don't get a chance to hire 3G without all this other stuff that laid the foundation.
                    We were bottom of the barrel was the only reason people werent coming to games, and even then there were around 7k every game. Thats an outstanding number considering how crappy some of those teams were

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                      We were bottom of the barrel was the only reason people werent coming to games, and even then there were around 7k every game. Thats an outstanding number considering how crappy some of those teams were
                      Right after I graduated in 2001, Sports Illustrated published a ranking of all colleges as 'Sports' schools. WSU was in the mid 90s based 3 things. Our baseball program, our bowling program & our ability to avg 6,500+ for a down trotted basketball program. Obviously not having football hurt us on this list but even after the lean years in the 90's we still drew that amount people compared to product on the court was amazing.
                      If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• The games were still fun and there was optimism going into every season, at least from those 7,000 die hards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          The games were still fun and there was optimism going into every season, at least from those 7,000 die hards.
                          We had the same belief as the guy in the linked podcast didn't we?

Comment

• How will Wichita State handle Landry Shamet's absence?

Mike Krzyzewski and Duke might not want to hear it, but his sixth surgery in 17 months adds a few question marks to the coming season. Coach K and the Blue Devils aren't the only ones who need some answers with the start of practices a month away.

In early August, the star point guard underwent surgery after suffering a stress fracture in his right foot. The procedure could force him to miss nearly four months of action and the start of the season. Shamet seems confident he'll avoid a significant absence. But he's also recovering from his second major foot surgery in three years. He missed the bulk of his freshman season with a stress fracture in his left foot. Now it's the right foot.

Gregg Marshall must open practice without a player expected to accrue an abundance of preseason accolades. And he only has limited options to replace Shamet while he's sidelined. Daishon Smith, who started 12 games in 2016-17, decided to transfer in April after losing his spot in the rotation last season. Austin Reaves, a guard who played 11.8 minutes per game last season, is still wrestling with a shoulder injury.

But Marshall can turn to Conner Frankamp, a veteran combo guard, to handle the ball in practice and manage the responsibilities if Shamet can't play in November. An extended absence for Shamet, however, would diminish the potential of a program projected to start the season within the top-10.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ShockingButTrue

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              I was pretty sure he was a terrible hire when at the news conference to introduce him as coach someone piped up and ask "Will we be able to beat KU". He stammered around, looked very uncomfortable and meekly stated "Well, that will certainly be a goal for us" . I knew right then he would never get it done.

Comment

• This is sort of nice.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/8/28/16214474/wichita-state-college-basketball-national-championship-final-four-favorite
                                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                                X