No announcement yet.

2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The teams in the AAC will be getting up "sky high" for our Shockers, especially with all these high rankings we are receiving. It will be a stringent test for the Shocks with the rigid schedule we will be playing. Just think if Jones, AM and CJ really progress this very Season. Jones is quick and a consistent shooter to improve our guard play. A.M. could be a player that by 2nd semester could get some nice playing time inside where we are already deep, but it is too early to know for sure. The upside of CJ is impressive and I hope he becomes a defensive stopper and improves his outside shooting. The other 9 players we already know are keepers and will be fighting "tooth and nail" for playing time. Our Conference road games will prove to be quite challenging and groom us for the Dance. With 7 Shocker Seniors leading the way, we very well could be as good as advertised by the experts.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Does anyone remember when 3G scolded Landry and CJ for playing one-on-one instead of focusing on recuperating???
      SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
      gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
        The teams in the AAC will be getting up "sky high" for our Shockers, especially with all these high rankings we are receiving. It will be a stringent test for the Shocks with the rigid schedule we will be playing. Just think if Jones, AM and CJ really progress this very Season. Jones is quick and a consistent shooter to improve our guard play. A.M. could be a player that by 2nd semester could get some nice playing time inside where we are already deep, but it is too early to know for sure. The upside of CJ is impressive and I hope he becomes a defensive stopper and improves his outside shooting. The other 9 players we already know are keepers and will be fighting "tooth and nail" for playing time. Our Conference road games will prove to be quite challenging and groom us for the Dance. With 7 Shocker Seniors leading the way, we very well could be as good as advertised by the experts.
        the offseason will be a challenge, too. baylor, ou, okie state, maui. then into the aac. 'shockers will be challenged start to finish, just like, well, ku, uk, duke etc are every year. i suspect they'll be up to it, just like ku, uk, duke etc are every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShanShock View Post
          Does anyone remember when 3G scolded Landry and CJ for playing one-on-one instead of focusing on recuperating???
          It was Austin and CJ.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• #3 ranking in this one!

3. Wichita State (31-5, 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament): Theoretically should have been #1 since they were #3 last time and the two teams above them lost everyone. This is a Top 10 team all season and Gregg Marshall will have a better roster than when they went unbeaten in the 2013-2014 regular season.

Comment

• "BTD’s Way-Too-Early 2017-2018 College Basketball Top 25: Post-NBA Draft Decision Day Edition" - SB*Nation

by The Coach
              May 25, 2017, 12:30pm PDT

"...

1. Kentucky Wildcats
              2. Arizona Wildcats
              3. Michigan State Spartans
              4. Kansas Jayhawks

5. Wichita State Shockers

Gregg Marshall is no stranger to success and coming off a 31-5 season in which they lost only twice to unranked foes (Oklahoma State, Illinois State), the Shockers are on the right trajectory for another elite campaign. Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference (AAC) means the overall path will be a bit more treacherous for the program but there’s no group more prepared for that stage than the one in tow. Rising junior Markis McDuffie has already emerged into a star and point guard Landry Shamet is on the verge of greatness as well. The Shockers will remain.

6. Villanova Wildcats
              7. Duke Blue Devils
              8. USC Trojans
              9. Louisville Cardinals
              10. Florida Gators..."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                I swear that my distaste for KU isn't guiding this, but how are they ranked so high? They seem to have a lot more questions/unknowns than WSU does. I'll give Graham credit for being legit. Svi and Vick are decent. I've heard good things about Newman and Azubuike. They might eventually be great (due to the annual pants-wetting from the Big 12), but I'm not seeing how they are Top 5 material on Day 1.
                KU final KenPom ranking:
                Top 5 - 5 of the last 10
                Top 10 - 8 of the last 10
                Worst finish of last 10... 13th

I hope they fail, but realistically, there is plenty of reason to have them high in the preseason polls.

Comment

• JH4P is correct. FUKU has proven that they are a pretty good regular season team on a year in and year out basis as long as they can rewrite the rules whenever that becomes necessary. Of course it helps when all your losses are good losses until that last one of the season.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• "Arizona makes huge move in Way-Too-Early Top 25" - ESPN Sports

by Myron Medcalf, ESPN Staff Writer
                    May 25, 2017

As other programs watched key contributors head off to the NBA, Arizona watched important players return to school and big recruits choose Tucson. As the Wildcats rocketed up the board, others took a step (or a few steps) down.

"On Wednesday, the college basketball scene for 2017-18 began to take shape as players who'd entered the NBA draft without hiring agents had to withdraw if they intended to retain their collegiate eligibility. Those decisions rocked some programs and enhanced others.But the guessing games of the past two months have ended, and now we can finally address next season in this early edition of our top 25 poll.

There's still time for decisions, moves and transfers that might alter this list. And in a year without a unanimous No. 1, we expect controversy. Right now, though, we think the 25 schools below deserve to be in this poll. And we're sure that, unless you're an Arizona fan, you'll disagree. Enjoy.

1. Arizona Wildcats
                    2. Kansas Jayhawks
                    3. Michigan State Spartans
                    4. Kentucky Wildcats
                    5. Duke Blue Devils

6. Wichita State Shockers
                    Key losses: None
                    Key additions: None
                    First Way-Too-Early ranking: 6

In March, Gregg Marshall berated an NCAA selection committee that gave his team a 10-seed after a 30-4 regular season and Missouri Valley Conference championship. Then, his squad beat Dayton, a 7-seed, and nearly knocked off Kentucky, a 2-seed, in the second round of the NCAA tournament. With a move to the American Athletic Conference next season, Marshall should not require a similar plea on Selection Sunday. His team can win that league's title in its first year, too. Why? Because every key player from last season's squad will return in 2017-18. Shaquille Morris announced his return this week after exploring the NBA draft without hiring an agent. Markis McDuffie, who led last season's team with 11.5 PPG, also tested the waters but will join Morris & Co. back on campus next year. A backcourt of Conner Frankamp (8.6 PPG, 44 percent from the 3-point line) and Landry Shamet, who scored 20 points against Kentucky in the NCAA tournament, should lead Wichita State to another successful season under Marshall.

7. North Carolina Tar Heels
                    8. Florida Gators
                    9. West Virginia Mountaineers
                    10. Louisville Cardinals..."

Comment

• I just hope we don't fall into oblivion when VanVleet and Baker graduate.

Oh wait.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        I just hope we don't fall into oblivion when VanVleet and Baker graduate.

Oh wait.
                        How about: Yeah, but you'll never beat a good team without Cleanthony. This was what many of my Chicken buddies said. Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                          How about: Yeah, but you'll never beat a good team without Cleanthony. This was what many of my Chicken buddies said. Hahahahahahahahahahaha
                          Maybe they were right and we just haven't played any good teams since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            Maybe they were right and we just haven't played any good teams since then.
                            Indeed.

#ChokingChickens

Comment

• "College basketball's updated preseason Top 25 for the 2017-18 season" - USA Today

By Scott Gleeson, USA TODAY Sports
                              Published 9:17 a.m. ET May 26, 2017

"Perhaps more than any other offseason, the forecast for which college basketball team will be No. 1 in the preseason top 25 is ridiculously unclear.Yet with NBA draft decisions finalized and top-tier recruits picking their schools, the picture looks much clearer than it did in April after North Carolina cut down the nets. Which teams make it to San Antonio for the Final Four? Here's a look at the updated preseason top 25 for 2017-18 here in late May:

1. Arizona (32-5 in 2016-17)
                              2. Michigan State (20-15)
                              3. Duke (28-9)

4. Wichita State (31-5)

Yes, a former "mid-major" is in the top five. Get used to it. The American Athletic Conference, Wichita State's new home, isn't exactly a power conference yet. But the Shockers' 2017-18 roster is as powerful as it gets. Virtually everyone is back from a 31-win team that was top-10 in KenPom efficiency and had Kentucky on the ropes with a Sweet 16 trip on the line. In that game, freshman Landry Shamet showed flashes of what’s to come while going up against Kentucky’s NBA-bound freshmen. With a year under his belt running the point, Shamet should transform into an All-American-caliber player. Leading scorer Markis McDuffie, big men Darral Willis Jr. and Shaquille Morris, sharpshooter Conner Frankamp and utility man Zach Brown all return for an ambitious season.

5. Kansas (31-5)
                              6. Kentucky (32-6)
                              7. Florida (27-9)
                              8. Southern California (26-10)
                              9. Louisville (25-9)
                              10. Villanova (32-4)..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                                I just hope we don't fall into oblivion when VanVleet and Baker graduate.

Oh wait.
                                Yes, what would happen if we had a point guard that could get to the rim?
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X