Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Wichita State's Landry Shamet is seeing his 2018 NBA draft stock soar

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

Includes some video of Landry working out.

Comment

• Shamet IS an elite athlete and I've always been confused as to why some people question that (nationally). Just because you didn't sign with Kentucky, Duke or Carolina doesn't and shouldn't label you as a non-elite athlete. Geez...where did Stephen Curry play college ball?

LS is a total 1st round NBA athlete. Duh........
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        Shamet IS an elite athlete and I've always been confused as to why some people question that (nationally). Just because you didn't sign with Kentucky, Duke or Carolina doesn't and shouldn't label you as a non-elite athlete. Geez...where did Stephen Curry play college ball?

LS is a total 1st round NBA athlete. Duh........
        He's still 20 or maybe 21 years old and he's still filling out. His first step isn't as strong imo as when he is moving for various reasons. First, as I said he is not completely mature, and still needs to be on lifting program. Also, the Shocker system isn't based on a one on one type of point guard play so he rarely needed, showed off, or developed his first step. He usually scored more when he was moving without the ball. Last of all, with his upper body strength still developing, and the upper bodies off guards (other players too) at Houston, and Cincinnati already well developed this past year, sometimes it appeared that they were bullying him imo (he wasn't our only guard they bullied, and I think that is why Gregg went after bigger, stronger guards and players. I think that in a few years, he will have the strength that will assist his overall athleticism in the NBA.

As a side note, I found it interesting that Gregg, several times, referred to Jamarious Burton (we recruited him as a PG) a bully who can play the 1,2, or 3. He would like to push out the beginning of the other teams offense. There is no doubt that he is trying to answer the defensive bullying that other teams gave to us this past year. Hopefully, we don't lose our shooting abilities too much.

Comment

• Aargh
          Aargh commented
          Editing a comment
          Anybody want to try to count the number of things in this post that are, simply stated, wrong? I gave up when I concluded that replyng to all of them would require more effort than I care to use on a Saturday morning.

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          You are then a lazy idiot. That’s all the time I have too.

• Phoenix Suns workouts: Wichita State point guard Landry Shamet has big-time shooting ability

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ier/665491002/

Looks like Landry has followed Fred's mantra (Bet on Yourself) quite successfully.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Phoenix Suns workouts: Wichita State point guard Landry Shamet has big-time shooting ability

Looks like Landry has followed Fred's mantra (Bet on Yourself) quite successfully.
          Great news! I can't wait to see Landry sign for some big dolla billz in the first round!

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Phoenix Suns workouts: Wichita State point guard Landry Shamet has big-time shooting ability

This makes me happy!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• The updated version of our aggregate mock draft has shown us that Arizona big man DeAndre Ayton has become a clear favorite among analysts.

Man...that's quite the high and low end projection for Landry.

Comment

• Shockm
                Shockm commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes. I think that there is some speculation of what the experts have heard from team executives, some of what their own evaluation, and some "group think". It appears likely, from the NBA media experts evaluations that he will go anywhere from the last third of the 1st round to the middle of the 2nd round (20-50). Really the so called NBA experts don't know and judging from how they evaluated Fred, there are a lot of intangibles that they do a poor job of figuring into the success equation.

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                they're all looking for long, young, athletic, unproven talent. The opposite of Fred, he's just a basketball player, a lot of NBA execs seem to overlook these types.

• Shockm
                Shockm commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you may have just agreed with me. They don’t grade well on the intangibles. All Fred does is WIN!

• The NBA draft is incredibly unique. Salary cap and low roster sizes means some teams don't often need two draft picks (or simply can't afford both) but also don't want to give them away to teams who need players. It's so difficult then to guess who will throw their pick away on a Euro kid who they know won't sign. Then, with second round picks guaranteed nothing, you see guys like Fred tell teams "No" to agreeing to D League as a condition of being drafted. Landry is certainlycer the top 30 of "best available", who knows if he'll get drafted there.

Comment

• T

...:cool:

Comment

• “But, and this is also huge, he’s been coached. He’s been coached right. He’s been coached how to win, and he’s been coached on both ends of the court. That’s one of the biggest bonuses playing for coach Marshall. You don’t pick up short cuts or bad habits when you’ve been under him for three years, like Landry was. He’s a kid that’s ready to do good things at the next level.”

Greg Heiar

I especially like this quote from that article. The HS guards that are cerebral enough to read something other than tweets are likely to seek opportunities like 3G and WSU. I think Fred, Ron and Landry are the trailblazers and more good ones are on the way.
                  One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• Steeleshocker
                    Steeleshocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I particularly like that this comes from a former assistant coach. Doesn't seem to be any bad blood or animosity. A lot of mutual respect.

• Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Utah Jazz predraft interview:

Comment

• Comment

• Obviously unrelated to Landry, but as a general draft point, I just don't understand not taking Luka Doncic number one. It's definitely possible he could be a bust. But so could Ayton or any of the other guys. The league Doncic has been playing in is so much closer in terms of talent level and in terms of schedule to the NBA than college basketball is. I just can't justify any reason to not take him in the top three at a minimum. If he's available at four like some people are predicting, I'd be looking to trade some serious assets to get that fourth pick.

Comment

• Topshock
                          Topshock commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Completely agree. Seems like a very easy decision to take him 1.
                      Working...
                      X