MVC Seeding and Potential Sat Opponent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC Seeding and Potential Sat Opponent

If I'm looking at things correctly I don't expect to play UNI on Sat. Regardless of the result of the UNI/ISUR game Sat they will get a rematch next Sat. This assumes Loy beats SIU, which I think is more likely than not. If UNI wins Sat then they are the 3 seed and ISUR is 2. If ISUR wins Sat and Loyola wins Loyola will have the tie breaker and would be the 3 seed thus facing us. I think our most likely opponent on Sat will be Loyola. I predict our Fri opponent is Bradley as long as we are the 2 seed.

What sucks is that since the tiebreaker is RPI, and nothing to do with conference performance, WSU will be penalized for OU and MSU having almost historically down seasons. Compound that with the fact that we cant get a home game with another good team unless we agree to play 3 games on the moon, with their fans only, and WSU players can't wear oxygen tanks; then MAYBE they would agree to a game at IBA where they get 3/4 of the tickets.

Lets look at some numbers for two teams in MVC play:

- MOV; Wins Only: Team A - 21.9 | Team B - 11.4
    - MOV; All Games: Team A - 19.8 | Team B - 8.3

- MOV; Home Games: Team A - 28.1 | Team B - 8.2
    - MOV; Road Games: Team A 10.5 | Team B - 8.4

- MOV; last 3 games: Team A - 24.7 | Team B - 2.3

Both teams have the same conference record; 16-1.

Team B is rewarded the #1 seed and Team A, sadly, will be the #2 and thus will get less rest for the championship game on Sunday.

Because.... Valley.... Where is Rothstein with another "WSU to the AAC" article when you need him?!?!
    The Assman

Comment

#2 seed it is
      The Assman

Comment

Illinois State's reward for this one is a game between Loyola or SIU on Saturday.

Have fun with that.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          Illinois State's reward for this one is a game between Loyola and SIU on Saturday.

Have fun with that.
          Guessing they'd rather have another go at the team they're smoking right now, but they'll be up against a couple of opponents that most recently took them to the ropes.

Comment

WSU is already screwing up brackets and teams by being underseeded in their own conference tournament.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              Illinois State's reward for this one is a game between Loyola or SIU on Saturday.

Have fun with that.
              This is going to be pretty close isn't it? Anyone know what the projected RPI's of UNI and Loyola will be if Loyola beats SIU tonight?

Loyola could end up as a 3-seed couldn't they?

Comment

If I ran it correctly, Loyola would finish ahead 141 to 148. I could have missed something. (RPIforecast.com)

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  If I ran it correctly, Loyola would finish ahead 141 to 148. I could have missed something. (RPIforecast.com)
                  I'm not worried about any team if we play to our capabilities, but would prefer if Illinois State had to play Loyola in the semis and I'll take the winner of UNI/SIU in the semis. Go Salukis tonight.

Comment

Based on recent performance, the Jailbirds shouldn't be all that confident about either Loyola or SIU as a semifinal opponent, but they certainly stepped up today. Gotta give them kudos for that -- I said several times I expected them to lose today, but instead they totally stifled the UNIs, who seem to be in complete collapse now that WSU ended their hot streak.

UNI cannot be looking forward to a possible Saturday rematch with WSU -- they'll probably be Loyola's biggest fans tonight, other than Sister Jean.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      Based on recent performance, the Jailbirds shouldn't be all that confident about either Loyola or SIU as a semifinal opponent, but they certainly stepped up today. Gotta give them kudos for that -- I said several times I expected them to lose today, but instead they totally stifled the UNIs, who seem to be in complete collapse now that WSU ended their hot streak.

UNI cannot be looking forward to a possible Saturday rematch with WSU -- they'll probably be Loyola's biggest fans tonight, other than Sister Jean.
                      I don't think UNI even makes it to Saturday. They will lose to either SIU or MSU on Friday.

Comment

One game left, Loyola @ SIU

MVC Tournament Seeds if Loyola wins: 1. ILS 2. WSU 3. LOY 4. UNI 5. SIU 6. MSU 7. BU 8. UE 9. INS 10. DU

MVC Tournament Seeds if SIU wins: 1. ILS 2. WSU 3. UNI 4. SIU 5. LOY 6. MSU 7. BU 8. UE 9. INS 10. DU

WSU will play the winner of Bradley/Drake on Friday at 6:00

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
                          I don't think UNI even makes it to Saturday. They will lose to either SIU or MSU on Friday.
                          Very possible, 771. The way things are going right now, UNI has reverted to the team that started conference play 0-5.

I never bother with other boards -- have their fans given up on the NIT yet?

Comment

Go SIU
                            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
                              One game left, Loyola @ SIU

MVC Tournament Seeds if Loyola wins: 1. ILS 2. WSU 3. LOY 4. UNI 5. SIU 6. MSU 7. BU 8. UE 9. INS 10. DU

MVC Tournament Seeds if SIU wins: 1. ILS 2. WSU 3. UNI 4. SIU 5. LOY 6. MSU 7. BU 8. UE 9. INS 10. DU

WSU will play the winner of Bradley/Drake on Friday at 6:00
                              Looks like Live-RPI predicts UNI to finish ahead of Loyola, even with a win.

Since the split head-to-head (as did UNI and SIU), UNI still should finish third.
                              The Assman

Comment

Working...
                              X