Gregg Marshall Show 02/20/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    How many other programs in the country start their deep bench seniors on senior night? It's nothing personal and I'm sure JRS and ZB are smart enough to know better.
    Understood. Just sayin'; difference of opinion, and not a big deal. Roy Williams used to do it at Kansas (one of the few things I admired about him; don't know if he still does it at NC).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      How many other programs in the country start their deep bench seniors on senior night? It's nothing personal and I'm sure JRS and ZB are smart enough to know better.
      I've seen it happen many times. The senior walk-on starts and is taken out at the first whistle.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
        I've seen it happen many times. The senior walk-on starts and is taken out at the first whistle.
        Not gonna happen. I think we win big, but this is also the team we trailed at half in the first game. Just too much at stake to get cute.

Comment

Interesting behind the seens point made in this mornings Eagle article.

J.R. and Zach5 belong to the Walk-on Fraternity that has become the social media network for college walk-ons to communicate, commiserate and to share experiences and support.

J.R. and Zach quickly noticed that not all walk-ons are coached at a scholarship level. They feel like 3G instructs them just as diligently as he does Landry Shamet and Shaq Morris, which is jsut they way the want it.

Zach Bush was quoted as saying Coach Marshall told them they deserved to coached just like everybody else.

Through their Walk-on Fraternity Zach and J.R. have discoverd that is not he case for all coaches.

I suppose a token start on Senior Night would be something J.R. and Zach would enjoy. However, I'm sure it would pale in comparison to being a valued part of so many Valley Championships and NCAA Tournament appearances including a Final Four ring for Zach (even though he was a reshirt that year).

I have heard the same thing about Lambo and his huge roster of Volleyball players half of which play very little if at all. He still coaches everyone of them the same and has the same expectations for his players and the team chemistry always seems to be excellent. Seems like Lambo tens to avoid starting little used seniors also, but in Volleyball you have a limit on substitutions so that is a big factor in that decision.

I am not really sure what the reasoning is behind 3G's stance on this but I supsect he has his reasons. Maybe some bad experiences when he did this. Maybe thinking it sends the message to the team that he is not really taking this game seriously. Who knows.

This just makes it that much more important for the fans to arrive early enough to participate in the recognition ceremony for Zach and J.R. prior to the game (it is scheduled before the game isn't it?) and to stay until the end of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

J.R. and Zach5 belong to the Walk-on Fraternity that has become the social media network for college walk-ons to communicate, commiserate and to share experiences and support.

J.R. and Zach quickly noticed that not all walk-ons are coached at a scholarship level. They feel like 3G instructs them just as diligently as he does Landry Shamet and Shaq Morris, which is jsut they way the want it.

Zach Bush was quoted as saying Coach Marshall told them they deserved to coached just like everybody else.

Through their Walk-on Fraternity Zach and J.R. have discoverd that is not he case for all coaches.

I suppose a token start on Senior Night would be something J.R. and Zach would enjoy. However, I'm sure it would pale in comparison to being a valued part of so many Valley Championships and NCAA Tournament appearances including a Final Four ring for Zach (even though he was a reshirt that year).

I have heard the same thing about Lambo and his huge roster of Volleyball players half of which play very little if at all. He still coaches everyone of them the same and has the same expectations for his players and the team chemistry always seems to be excellent. Seems like Lambo tens to avoid starting little used seniors also, but in Volleyball you have a limit on substitutions so that is a big factor in that decision.

I am not really sure what the reasoning is behind 3G's stance on this but I supsect he has his reasons. Maybe some bad experiences when he did this. Maybe thinking it sends the message to the team that he is not really taking this game seriously. Who knows.

This just makes it that much more important for the fans to arrive early enough to participate in the recognition ceremony for Zach and J.R. prior to the game (it is scheduled before the game isn't it?) and to stay until the end of the game.
            I believe he's moved it to after the game for the last several years.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
              I believe he's moved it to after the game for the last several years.
              Hopefully, the crowd hangs around if that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                Not gonna happen. I think we win big, but this is also the team we trailed at half in the first game. Just too much at stake to get cute.
                I'm not saying they should or should not start, just that is not uncommon for senior walk ons to get the start.
                Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                  Yes, I do. And, I wouldn't do it for the Final Four game. But I believe this is a gesture that means more by sending a message: we value loyalty as much as the first minute of a game. For me, it is different to say, "I started" than to say, "I was also on the team." But, maybe I have low self-esteem issues ;-)
                  Both of these guys could have played at a lower level and at this point would certainly be in the mix for many Valley teams. They chose to come here and accepted their roles. They have worked hard and been rewarded with a hell of an experience. I think they'll be ok with the 5-10 monutes they get once we are up 30.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I am not really sure what the reasoning is behind 3G's stance on this but I supsect he has his reasons. Maybe some bad experiences when he did this. Maybe thinking it sends the message to the team that he is not really taking this game seriously.
                    This is easy to answer and You answered your own question. Gregg is all about "winning" coming first. That is why you play the game and while he wouldn't cheat to win, he will do anything to make sure that no short cuts are taken, everyone is focused, and you play to win first and then celebrate afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      This is easy to answer and You answered your own question. Gregg is all about "winning" coming first. That is why you play the game and while he wouldn't cheat to win, he will do anything to make sure that no short cuts are taken, everyone is focused, and you play to win first and then celebrate afterward.
                      This exactly. Which is where I have my difference. I believe letting them play the first minute of any game doesn't "doom" us and sends a very important message, regardless of what the two student-athletes would accept. I believe it is a very "high road" to take, to consider their sacrifice for one minute over winning at all costs (short of cheating). Again, just my opinion (and apparently a minority one, at that); I'll hang up now and listen.

Comment

This exactly. Which is where I have my difference. I believe letting them play the first minute of any game doesn't "doom" us and sends a very important message, regardless of what the two student-athletes would accept. I believe it is a very "high road" to take, to consider their sacrifice for one minute over winning at all costs (short of cheating). Again, just my opinion (and apparently a minority one, at that); I'll hang up now and listen.
                        Fair enough. Same team!
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion would probably go toward where I imagine Gregg is. I think that if they were to stumble and lose this game, it would "absolutely" doom us to having to win the MVC Tournament (which we all know from experience isn't a sure thing). If he was to take a break from "pedal to the metal" and lose, all of the players on the team would most likely have a bad seasonal memory and it would set them back next year.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion would probably go toward where I imagine Gregg is. I think that if they were to stumble and lose this game, it would "absolutely" doom us to having to win the MVC Tournament (which we all know from experience isn't a sure thing). If he was to take a break from "pedal to the metal" and lose, all of the players on the team would most likely have a bad seasonal memory and it would set them back next year.
                            Well, there's a reason he's a multi-million dollar coach and I'm just a fan site poster!

Comment

the nba all-star game was this weekend, so i watched some past clasic all-star games on cable (great, great stuff).

somebody needs to get this message to marshall and staff, pronto-- maybe kellen reads this board--: rauno nurger needs to study tape of kevin mchale! asap! similar body type and skills. it's just a mind-set thing. nurger needs to study tapes of kevin mchale! today! starting right after the evansville game!

Comment

One thing I know. I'll stay for the Senior Day celebration after the game. I hope most of the other fans do the same even though Fred and Ron are gone. JRS and Zach deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                                X