Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregg Marshall Show 02/20/2017

Missed the 1st 15 minutes.

Talked about Daishon's play lately getting better. 3G commented on his rebounding against UNI. All of our players have had their Valley's this year but looks like Daishon is coming back. Daishon making more winning plays lately. Playing better defense. Getting his athleticism in the game. Playing smarter.

Austin is back but seems a little bit less aggressive since his most recent shoulder injury.

Talked about Rashard finding a new gear. 3G says he tells Rashard he has to be an energy guy. Says he is the best communicator on the floor. 3G told Rashard that he doesn't have a pretty game. He has an effort game.

Zach Brown, 6-6 and athletic, Markis McDuffie, 6-8 and athletic, Rashard Kelly, 6-7 and athletic gives 3G a lot of flexibility on defense. Rashard can guard a center and point guard.

Mike went down a list of what the Shockers have done to some of the best players in the league recently. I couldn't keep up but it was very inpressive. Mike quoted Tim McCarver who once said Bob Gibson was the luckiest pitcher around. He always pitched when the other team wasn't hitting. 3G commented that those guys are scoring points in other games. Gave his coaching staff a lot of credit for their scouting and game planning.

Shocks' up to 3rd in the nation in FG % defense at 37.4%(?).

Zach Brown seems to finally have embraced the role of being the defensive stopper.

C.J. Keyser was tremendous in practce today. He said he was Jaylon Brown in practice today. He hopes Jaylon doesn't play the way C.J. did today.

I have high hopes for CJ Keyser

Comment

Marshall - Jerry Palm asked Mrs. Marshall out for date and she turned him down and I decked him [explaining why Palm hates WSU).

Comment

Asked 3G about Ron and Fred (and Evan and Cheese) being at the game. He said he couldn't be happier for those guys success and was very impressed that they would come back. The whole Baker clan was back in town and headed over to Butler County the next day to watch Sloan pitch.

Cheese was at practice today. Said he would like to relocate to Wichita from Atlanta if he could find a way to make it happen.

He thinks that the fact we were playing UNI had a lot to do with Ron and Fred coming back since UNI broke our long home court winning streak last year.

Do the players ever have input for the Coach's. He said yes they do. Not as much this year as in the past with Ron and Fred but he said the more comfortable they get in the system he would expect more of that. Commented on a play in the UNI game where he was preoccupied and had not called the out-of-bounds play. The palyers realized and Landry called the play and the Shockers scored. So he said maybe I should just let them call the plays.

Female Caller: Did Jerry Palm ever ask Lynn out and she turned him down? 3G: For him to be as anti-WSU as he is it would because 3G decked him.

Male Caller (John): Asked about Landry's progression at the point. Landry's redshirt year no doubt helped him this year just observing and learing from watching Fred and Ron. The problem with Landry earlier in the year he would make one silly pass in practice and in the games. He has pretty much eliminated that now. His Assist to T/O ration is 12th in the country. Commented positively on the assist to turnover ratio of his guard group as a whole.

Comment

The Shocks are now 2nd in the nation in scoring margin at 19.3 PPG and in the 25 wins they have a MOV of 24.3 PPG.

Pretty unique Senior night where you have two very important Seniors who aren't scholarship players. Hard workers, selfless, great teammates. They know what to do and when to do it.

J.R. Simon has been on the floor at the final buzzer in WSU wins more times than Fred Van Vleet.

Zach Bush goes back 5 years. Final Four team. Undefeated team.

Both J.R. and Zach both have great support systems.

Mike commented on the video we will see tomoorrow night shows that both of these young men are very mature. 3G will miss them as people. The program will miss them. He considers them good friends.

Mike asked or relayed a twitter question about whether he would be starting J.R. and Zach which kind of irritated 3G. He said Mike knew the answer to that question and their was no reason to ask it. However, he said it was very important to him to get J.R. and Zach in the game at some point. 3G just doesn't start seniors just because they are seniors even on senior night.

Games remaining against Evansville and Missouri State. Against Evansville it was a bad 1st half and a very good 2nd half. Just the opposite at home against Missouri State. He said he commented on that to the team at practice today that they need to start strong and finish strong.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 20, 2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

How long does it usually take for the audio to be posted on knss after the show?

Comment

1972 did a great job of hitting all of the key points of tonights show

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                3G just doesn't start seniors just because they are seniors even on senior night.
                This is an area where I disagree with HCGM. I understand his position; I just believe that a Sr., especially a 4-5 yr senior, should get at least a start to show appreciation for the dedication, sacrifice, commitment, loyalt, ec given to the program. Just a disagreement; no biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                  This is an area where I disagree with HCGM. I understand his position; I just believe that a Sr., especially a 4-5 yr senior, should get at least a start to show appreciation for the dedication, sacrifice, commitment, loyalt, ec given to the program. Just a disagreement; no biggie.
                  Coach has given these two young men great amunts of love and appreciation; the fans have always shown their appreciation and will do so again before the game and during the game when they enter, when they score or rebound, and when they exit. I do not believe that a "trophy" start means anything more than a trophy/certificate of participation would for Hillary Clinton. JMHO, no biggie.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

@1972Shocker: thank you for the wonderful recap. I was unable to listen due to a work commitment and appreciate your post.
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                      You realize we are tied for a league championship, right? If things go well, Bush and Simon will have ample opportunity for recognition. If they go really poorly, they will also have time.

Listened to my first show in a while. The callers are terrible. They should just go with Mike and Coach and mix in a taped player or administrator interview for 15 minutes if they need to fill time.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Believe me, the rest of the team is going to be motivated to play a game so good that these two guys can play almost the whole second half. Everybody wants to see those guys play extended minutes and the guys know why they have to do to make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                          Believe me, the rest of the team is going to be motivated to play a game so good that these two guys can play almost the whole second half. Everybody wants to see those guys play extended minutes and the guys know why they have to do to make that happen.
                          What an INCREDIBLE testimony to those two young men....I think I could envision more emotion from them than many seniors on Senior night.

Comment

My hope is that we are up 35 at the 10:00 mark of the second half and Marshall bravely let's them start playing very early... and that they deliver enough to keep the margin safe. Then with little time left, sub them out to a standing ovation after they've logged more minutes than usual and been allowed to adequately "soak it in"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                              My hope is that we are up 35 at the 10:00 mark of the second half and Marshall bravely let's them start playing very early... and that they deliver enough to keep the margin safe. Then with little time left, sub them out to a standing ovation after they've logged more minutes than usual and been allowed to adequately "soak it in"
                              This would be ideal but the reality is we can't just keep the margin, safe but have to win by as much as possible. We are 13 in Ken Pom mainly because of our margin of victory. Most of the limited love we are receiving on the national level is due to the fact we are destroying teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X