Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
    Dang! you were very close!
    Yes 60Shock is on it. Here I keep underestimating our beloved Shocks. When our Shocks are the Chairmen Of the Boards, great things happen. Great to see Mr. Willis get another double/double.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      lol, UNI fans. The most delusional fans on the planet. Down to earth? WSU has a bit of cache to back up its fans attitudes. And then you have UNI fans, who most think are winning today. And all the while they're in another season where they lost 6 or 7 in a row (including one to Bradley LOL) and will have to luck their way into another NCAA Tournament. Yah, UNI fans. You clearly have room to talk. Idiots.

Bring them back down to earth and beat the living **** out of these wannabes.
      Delusional:

We lose Jeremy and Jordan. Both will be missed but we have seen that we are able to replace players we thought irreplaceable.

Bennett and Klint will be seniors and starters again. Ted and Hunter will also be seniors that can fill roles.

We get Wyatt back. He won't replace Morgan, but he can fill Ashton's starting role.

Juwan will have a summer to work on everything and put in the work with what he's learned this year. Think back to the growth Kwadzo and Deon had between freshman and sophomore years (though Kwadzo did get two years because of injury).

Same for Isaiah, Luke and Spencer. All have elements that can be improved on and a better idea of what it takes at this level. I think anyone of these sophomores can challenge for the most improved player next year.

I don't expect much out of Tanner Lohaus, Rafael de Souza or Lincoln Conrey, but they will have had another year as well.

Then there are the 'newbies'.

Justin Dahl will have had a second year of work and I hope can see more action next year. He has always been a 2-3 project, so next year he should get some minutes and be ready to contribute more as a RS Jr.

Adam McDermott joins the rotation and gives us another 'bigger' shooting guard. Hopefully he has the defense to see action in Jake's system but he did hit 56 3's last year on 41% shooting (Spencer has 47 3's so far this year at a 34% clip).

Austin Phyfe comes in and I really expect him to redshirt. If he doesn't, he gives some extra post punch that should take weight off of Bennett.

And we still have one scholarship unspoken for. Will see what comes of that.

I am not saying we are going to be pulling a 09-10 or 14-15 run out next year, but I could see 08-09 or 15-16 type solid season. Wichita is going to be a beast again, Bradley returns everyone, otherwise the rest of league loses key players just like us, and I think we start with a little higher basement than all of the others.

So to recap, they lose two 5th year players, that are the only 2 players on their team that can guard anyone on the perimeter and one of them one of the best players in the history of their program, off a team that's right around .500 and they will, with the aid of a couple of walkons and newbies that may or may not redshirt, return to the form of a team that was a basket from the Sweet 16 or a team that won the regular and postseason conference titles.

Got it.

Comment

You gotta let them have their hope, there's not much else to hang onto

Comment

Just watched the replay to hear the commentary. Marshall needs to record the Ron/Fred interview and play it for every recruit that comes here.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            Just watched the replay to hear the commentary. Marshall needs to record the Ron/Fred interview and play it for every recruit that comes here.
            Did you like the pre-game locker room speech? "Let's give em the eye test." Loved it...classic Gregg.

Comment

Mentioned on the UNI forum that we don't lose any rotation players because someone asked. Also mentioned that we have 2 signed so someone else is leaving. Immediately got jumped by multiple posters about how much bullshit it is to sign over people. I find it funny because Jake struggles to find enough D1 athletes to fill out a roster they don't know how Jake would handle it. You bet your ass that if a 5 star recruit wanted to go to UNI, Jake would do whatever it took to get him in there.

Comment

Mentioned on the UNI forum that we don't lose any rotation players because someone asked. Also mentioned that we have 2 signed so someone else is leaving. Immediately got jumped by multiple posters about how much bullshit it is to sign over people. I find it funny because Jake struggles to find enough D1 athletes to fill out a roster they don't know how Jake would handle it. You bet your ass that if a 5 star recruit wanted to go to UNI, Jake would do whatever it took to get him in there.
                I have to say, I feel the same way about over-signing and I think if it happened to any of our son's each of us would be very pissed. That said, it is something that virtually ever successful program does so I believe the NCAA needs to address it in all sports. Some conferences have rules regarding same.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                  I have to say, I feel the same way about over-signing and I think if it happened to any of our son's each of us would be very pissed. That said, it is something that virtually ever successful program does so I believe the NCAA needs to address it in all sports. Some conferences have rules regarding same.
                  We also have zero evidence to say he just "oversigned" someone. He could have already discussed with someone (likely Eric) that his playing time probably wont increase unless he shows improvement. Eric says he understands and will transfer out at the end of the year. The big Dane could also be planning on a prep year. There are lots of options before assuming that Coach is just kicking someone out the door.

Comment

We also have zero evidence to say he just "oversigned" someone. He could have already discussed with someone (likely Eric) that his playing time probably wont increase unless he shows improvement. Eric says he understands and will transfer out at the end of the year. The big Dane could also be planning on a prep year. There are lots of options before assuming that Coach is just kicking someone out the door.
                    And so what if he did?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      And so what if he did?
                      Honestly, I don't care either way. Successful programs don't keep players that don't perform. I'm just saying there are also less "harsh" scenarios that could have happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        I never said he did in this case BUT, I think it would pretty naive to think that he hasn't done it in the past or won't do it in the future. Again, I believe it is wrong but is something that needs to be addressed with NCAA rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Honestly, I don't care either way. Successful programs don't keep players that don't perform. I'm just saying there are also less "harsh" scenarios that could have happened.
                          AND even good ones go on to flourish elsewhere...i.e. Rion....

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                            I never said he did in this case BUT, I think it would pretty naive to think that he hasn't done it in the past or won't do it in the future. Again, I believe it is wrong but is something that needs to be addressed with NCAA rules.
                            Does the option to provide four-year scholarships apply to basketball? I forget now. If a coach just called a player into his office and fired him, that would be very WRONG. But if the choice is ultimately the player's choice, to be made after receiving the projected outlook for him in the programs as compared to his outlook in other "opportunities," then the kid makes the choice. I do think that if the player does not want to transfer or quit basketball, he/she should be allowed to continue on scholarship at the school, whether it be an athletic scholarship or an "equivalebnt" scholarship.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• firing people is not always wrong, is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                firing people is not always wrong, is it?
                                Of course not. I presumed this discussion was based on the premise that the player did nothing wrong, busted his butt and did everything the coaches asked and was loved by his teammates, but simply wasn't good enough.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X