Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "4 Quarters + Team Fouls + Free Throws" - NCAA Rules Experiment 2017

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    "NIT to have experimental rules similar to quarter-style play" - AP College Basketball

Read the latest college basketball news. Keep up with college basketball rankings, scores, and stats of your favorite players and teams, all on AP News.

"INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — This year's NIT will experiment with rules, incorporating elements of playing four quarters while staying with a two-half format.

The NCAA announced Monday its rules panel has approved resetting team fouls to zero at the end of 10-minute segments in each half, as well as doing away with the 1-and-1 free throw in favor or two foul shots on many fouls.

Instead, teams will shoot two free throws after teams have reached four fouls during each 10-minute segment and three fouls during overtime. The fouls will reset at the 9:59 mark of each half.

The rules panel also approved resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds instead of going back to 30 when a team inbounds in its frontcourt after a foul."
    Looks like the NCAA is continuing there NIT testing of rule changes, before rolling them out.

What are your thoughts on this "potential" rule changes? I think it will be fun to see it in action. (Hopefully, the Shox aren't one of the first lab rats...)
    The Assman

Why change something that isn't broken? I don't think the 4 quarters thing does anything but generate more commercial advertising monies. I also don't like the foul thing. There's so much strategy that goes into the 1-and-1 shooting. Why change that?

Yes, let's keep trying to be like the NBA in everything as if that's what everybody wants. People watch college basketball because it's college basketball, NOT because it's the NBA.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I like the four quarters for sure. Especially if that means there will only be one TV timeout per quarter. No idea if that's the case. Anything to help the flow of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
        I like the four quarters for sure. Especially if that means there will only be one TV timeout per quarter. No idea if that's the case. Anything to help the flow of the game.
        Do you honestly think they're gonna eliminate the media timeouts because of the quarters? Doubt it.

And splitting it up into quarters does exactly the opposite of helping with the flow of the game.

But back to media timeouts, I thought there was a rule implemented recently that if a timeout was called within a certain time period of the media timeout, that it would count as the media timeout. I've noticed numerous times this year that coaches have called timeouts with say 12:08 left, the timeout ensues, then the next stoppage of play at say 11:42, they do the media timeout. Am I missing something? Was it too big of a $$$$$$$$$$$$ hit to the NCAA that they repealed it? So much for helping the flowwwwww of the game$$$$$$$$$$..
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          Do you honestly think they're gonna eliminate the media timeouts because of the quarters? Doubt it.

And splitting it up into quarters does exactly the opposite of helping with the flow of the game.

But back to media timeouts, I thought there was a rule implemented recently that if a timeout was called within a certain time period of the media timeout, that it would count as the media timeout. I've noticed numerous times this year that coaches have called timeouts with say 12:08 left, the timeout ensues, then the next stoppage of play at say 11:42, they do the media timeout. Am I missing something? Was it too big of a $$$$$$$$$$$$ hit to the NCAA that they repealed it? So much for helping the flowwwwww of the game$$$$$$$$$$..
          It's still a rule. It's just randomly enforced. Which is really dumb because it's not a live-action decision, and not even a decision that needs made by one of the 3 refs on the court.

Comment

My thoughts, in a word:

YUCK.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              It's still a rule. It's just randomly enforced. Which is really dumb because it's not a live-action decision, and not even a decision that needs made by one of the 3 refs on the court.
              lol seriously?

Why even have "rules" then?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Yeah, I dunno. That's my hope anyway. Whether or not it will actually work out that way is tough to say. I guess it adds an extra layer of intrigue to the NIT. As someone said before, I hope we're not part of the focus group.

I wonder the same thing as far as the media time out rule. Although not surprised that Valley refs screw it up.

Comment

Theoretically, if a team:
                  - fouled 4 times in the 1st/3rd quarter
                  - fouls reset
                  - then foul 4 more times in the 2nd/4th before the bonus

That would be 9 fouls before garunteed FTs. Sure, the 1-and-1 is gone, but it would also prevent FT shooting contest in some instances. It will take more fouls in the long run to get to FTs.

There will be pros/cons on both sides. I will reserve judgement, until it all plays out.
                  The Assman

Comment

Sometimes games get bogged down early in halfs because of Ricky-tack fouls. If fouls reset, it let's the game flow open up again in the next quarter.

There will still be personal fouls to worry about, but no long being in the bonus for 10+ minutes at a time.

Just playing Devil's advocate.
                    The Assman

Comment

For a team that is very deep such as WSU I thing it would allow them to defend more aggressively because they can afford more fouls and would give them when the other team wasn't rewarded with free throws.

Comment

Here are the current time outs used by the NCAA for the women who now play 4 quarters.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a new media timeout format for televised women’s basketball games. Beginning next season, media timeouts will occur at the first dead ball at or below the five-minute mark of each period and at the end of the first and third periods. Additionally, the first team-called timeout of the second half will become a media timeout. In the new four-quarter format, teams will have four timeouts (three 30-second timeouts and one 60-second timeout).

If I understand the rules they will be testing they will still play halves and not quarters but they will reset team fouls to zero at the mid-point of each half.

Doesn't sound like they are making any changes to the timeouts.

But whatever they do I can't see them jeapardizing the revenue flow from TV and that means having plenty of advertising slots to sell.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 14, 2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                          Sometimes games get bogged down early in halfs because of Ricky-tack fouls. If fouls reset, it let's the game flow open up again in the next quarter.

There will still be personal fouls to worry about, but no long being in the bonus for 10+ minutes at a time.

Just playing Devil's advocate.
                          Doesn't sound like a free-flowing game to me. It sounds like more physical and aggressive defenses will start coming in since there will be a less of a penalty to fouling.

Don't fix what's not broke. The officiating and its inconsistency is the problem, not the game itself.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I've never liked the NBA ruling that the bonus is always two shots. My thought is that the second shot should be earned: either by making the first or being fouled into the double bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              Yeah, I dunno. That's my hope anyway. Whether or not it will actually work out that way is tough to say. I guess it adds an extra layer of intrigue to the NIT. As someone said before, I hope we're not part of the focus group.

I wonder the same thing as far as the media time out rule. Although not surprised that Valley refs screw it up.
                              It's not screwed up. The first time out of the second half does not apply to the rule, so that's when you would have seen the back to back stopages.

Comment

Working...
                              X