No announcement yet.

2017 Maui Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Michigan perspective. They're looking at what it would takje to get a shot at WSU. That's kind of different than what we would have expected a few years ago.

ESPN is out with the first installment of its Basketball Power Index, and two Maui Invitational teams are in the top five.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• they're (michigan) looking for ways to get at wichita state.

belien is such a good coach.

sidenote: some people are calling for a rodgerick brown redshirt. crap out.. do you want a national championship this year or not?
      Last edited by another shocker; July 29, 2017, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• Yeah. A few years ago we would have steamrolled them for the Natty before they realized what happened.

Alas, we had to play a team that shouldn't have been there in a game they didn't win.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
          sidenote: some people are calling for a rodgerick brown redshirt. crap out.. do you want a national championship this year or not?
          Not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying a NC is dependent or more likely only if Rodgerick Brown doesn't redshirt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
            Not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying a NC is dependent or more likely only if Rodgerick Brown doesn't redshirt?
            There seem to be a few posters who believe the best way to win a national championship is to have guys on the end of the bench who average less than 5 minutes a game. To their way of thinking, that's important in hard-fought games. The obvious problem with that line of thinking is the guys at the end of the bench would only be likely to get minutes at the ends of blowout games and would never see the court in the tough games.

There are 200 minutes in a game. Shamet, McDuffie, Zach Brown, and Frankamp are likely to get at least 30 minutes each. That's 120 minutes. Morris is likely to get at least 20. That's at least 140 minutes used. That leaves 60 minutes for Nurger, Kelly, Willis, Haynes-Jones, and Keyser.

That's a 10-deep roster with only one player who doesn't have at least a year in Marshall's system, and he's a JuCo trfr. That's the group the Shox can put on the court even if Reaves, Midtgaard, and Brown all redshirt. Minutes are going to be awfully scarce for guys 11-13 in the depth chart. Is it worth it to use a year of eligibility to give a valuable player 3 or 4 minutes a game in blowouts when they are incredibly unlikely to ever see the court in close games?

Comment

not at all. i'm saying it damn sure couldn't hurt. get it now?

Comment

• O
                Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                There seem to be a few posters who believe the best way to win a national championship is to have guys on the end of the bench who average less than 5 minutes a game. To their way of thinking, that's important in hard-fought games. The obvious problem with that line of thinking is the guys at the end of the bench would only be likely to get minutes at the ends of blowout games and would never see the court in the tough games.

There are 200 minutes in a game. Shamet, McDuffie, Zach Brown, and Frankamp are likely to get at least 30 minutes each. That's 120 minutes. Morris is likely to get at least 20. That's at least 140 minutes used. That leaves 60 minutes for Nurger, Kelly, Willis, Haynes-Jones, and Keyser.

That's a 10-deep roster with only one player who doesn't have at least a year in Marshall's system, and he's a JuCo trfr. That's the group the Shox can put on the court even if Reaves, Midtgaard, and Brown all redshirt. Minutes are going to be awfully scarce for guys 11-13 in the depth chart. Is it worth it to use a year of eligibility to give a valuable player 3 or 4 minutes a game in blowouts when they are incredibly unlikely to ever see the court in close games?
                I agree, there simply aren't enough minutes and even in the Shocks case enough basketballs to go around. I hate to waste a year of eligibility on a top recruit for mop-up minutes.

Comment

not at all. i'm saying it damn sure couldn't hurt. get it now?
                  Yeah I get it, but disagree with that thought.

Comment

O
                    I agree, there simply aren't enough minutes and even in the Shocks case enough basketballs to go around. I hate to waste a year of eligibility on a top recruit for mop-up minutes.
                    What an intelligent, well-thought out statement.

Comment

Yeah I get it, but disagree with that thought.

marshall says brown is ready now, you say he isn't. got it.

Comment

• Marshall also put Conner at point. He is wrong sometimes.

Comment

marshall says brown is ready now, you say he isn't. got it.
                          Are you incredibly dense, insanely stubborn, or just lacking basic ability to understand simple concepts? Nobody is saying anything about whether Brown is "ready" or "not ready". We are saying that there aren't any minutes available to give any meaning to using a year of eligibility.

Being "ready" to join a D1 program, and being "ready" to earn playing time on a top-10 team are two entirely different things. Being "ready" to join a D1 program, and being able to take playing time away from outstanding players with 2 or 3 years experience are two entirely different things.

Being "ready" to join a D1 program merely means Marshall isn't going to recommend that Brown take a year of prep school. Brown had to either reclassify or take a year of prep school.

My goodness, learn to grasp some simple concepts. Did Marshall say Brown was ready to replace Zach Brown in the starting lineup, or take minutes away from Markis McDuffie? Has Marshall ever given a Fr any meaningful minutes when he had a qualified upper class player in the position they play? The answer is "no".

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I disagree with your opening statement. McDuffie, Brown, and Frankamp are much more likely to see about 25 minutes per game. Shamet probably gets 30. Kelly and Shaw with close to 20. That's about 145 minutes spoken for with the top 6 and 55 minutes for Willis, Nurger and whomever else makes the 10-11 man rotation.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Mini-troll View Post
                              Marshall also put Conner at point. He is wrong sometimes.
                              hey, mini-hawk. have you seen any of those wichita city pride flags around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                Are you incredibly dense, insanely stubborn, or just lacking basic ability to understand simple concepts? Nobody is saying anything about whether Brown is "ready" or "not ready". We are saying that there aren't any minutes available to give any meaning to using a year of eligibility.

Being "ready" to join a D1 program, and being "ready" to earn playing time on a top-10 team are two entirely different things. Being "ready" to join a D1 program, and being able to take playing time away from outstanding players with 2 or 3 years experience are two entirely different things.

Being "ready" to join a D1 program merely means Marshall isn't going to recommend that Brown take a year of prep school. Brown had to either reclassify or take a year of prep school.

My goodness, learn to grasp some simple concepts. Did Marshall say Brown was ready to replace Zach Brown in the starting lineup, or take minutes away from Markis McDuffie? Has Marshall ever given a Fr any meaningful minutes when he had a qualified upper class player in the position they play? The answer is "no".
                                don't choke on your metamucil when he doesn't redshirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X