2017 Maui Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Maui Invitational

Travel packages went on-sale today: http://mauiinvitational.com/sports/2...13/travel.aspx

Could next year be the most mediocre Maui field ever? WSU might even be the favorite to win this thing.

Notre Dame - losing 2 of their main 4 guys (Beachem and Vasturia)
    VCU - losing 3 important seniors (Tillman, Mo Alie-Cox and Ahmey Hamdy)
    Marquette - losing 4 important seniors
    Michigan - losing 3 seniors (Walton, Irvin and Duncan Robinson)
    Cal - losing 3 seniors and probably Ivan Rabb to the NBA (Bird, Mullins and Singer)
    LSU - see DePaul
    Chaminade - see Newman

These fields always look more mediocre until you remember that WSU is the Top 10 team they scheduled for it.

Comment

$900 per night for two adults for three nights, plus airfare plus transportation to/from airport. Includes tickets only to Shocker game sessions.

For another $750, you can go to all games of the tourney.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I'm not sure I see a scenario where we aren't the favorite in that tournament.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Need to just win every game by double digits so we can get some hype to carry us throughout the long conference season.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            $900 per night for two adults for three nights, plus airfare plus transportation to/from airport. Includes tickets only to Shocker game sessions.

For another $750, you can go to all games of the tourney.
            Unless you have lots of extra money sitting around it would be better to just buy tickets to the games and book your hotel and rental car separately. Its been several years since I lived in Hawaii but i'm sure prices haven't gone up that much. You will want a rental car because the airport is on the far side of the island.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
              Unless you have lots of extra money sitting around it would be better to just buy tickets to the games and book your hotel and rental car separately. Its been several years since I lived in Hawaii but i'm sure prices haven't gone up that much. You will want a rental car because the airport is on the far side of the island.
              Those sunglasses must be amazing to spend that amount for a package that does NOT including airfare or a rental car! I was on the Big Island Aug 2015 for 9 days and probably spent 3 grand on everything including car, airfare and hotel rooms. I'll piecemeal myself and save a ton!
              I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
              If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Already got the sunglasses ;)

Need to price out making my own arrangements and buying tickets when they go on sale in August.

Comment

My daughter, a first year resident MD, really wants to go. I told her to wait 4 years and then she can take her dad!
                  Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Alumni association putting something together?

Comment

Sunflower Travel is supposedly putting together a package "deal". We've just booked a room through Airbnb, we're now in search of some reasonable airfares. Games will be played Monday at 9:30, 11:30 (sure, whatever), 4:00 and 6:30. Tuesday at 8:30 (set your alarm), 10:30, 3:00 and 5:30. Wednesday at 9:00, 11:30, 2:30 and 4:30 (championship game). College basketball is apparently played at a much quicker pace in the former Sandwich Islands. There are a few flights departing late from Maui (ticker symbol OGG) and returning to Wichita during the afternoon Thanksgiving Day (if that's important to you). As was mentioned, plan on booking a car, the airport is about 30 minutes from Kaanapali. Happy hunting, Aloha.

Edit to add: The teams are staying at the resorts around Whaler's Village in Kaanapali.
                      Last edited by I_Vector_Wu; February 11, 2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Might be time to cash in some rewards points!
                        The Assman

Comment

Definitely looking like Tier 1 of this tournament will be Wichita State, Notre Dame and Michigan. Which two will end up on the same side of the bracket? It would probably be a first if tournament officials gave WSU priority when setting up the bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                            Definitely looking like Tier 1 of this tournament will be Wichita State, Notre Dame and Michigan. Which two will end up on the same side of the bracket? It would probably be a first if tournament officials gave WSU priority when setting up the bracket.
                            If they give us the correct priority we'll play Chaminade in the first game. Here's hoping we are under-seeded again.

Comment

Planning on this trip. Never been.

Comment

Working...
                              X