Official WSU vs Redbirds game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
    Keep in mind that the Illinois State win is our only key win against a top 50th team and we do not under any circumstances want them to slide far down in the rankings.
    Exactly, 60 -- the only non-conference top 50 win by any Valley team this year was the Trees' anomaly against Butler, so it's important for the Jailbirds to stay in the top 50 as WSU moves in. That way the two will have exchanged top 50 wins (which of course is the trick that P5 teams have going for them -- they get to collect top 50 wins against each other in league play), and both will look good. We can dislike Muller and his program all we want, but we want Saturday's rout to be a blowout of a top 50 team; otherwise it loses some of its glitter. And there's not a lot of MVC glitter to be had these days.

To be a top 50 team, Illinois State can probably afford another road loss, but not against someone way below .500 and outside the RPI top 200.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Exactly, 60 -- the only non-conference top 50 win by any Valley team this year was the Trees' anomaly against Butler, so it's important for the Jailbirds to stay in the top 50 as WSU moves in. That way the two will have exchanged top 50 wins (which of course is the trick that P5 teams have going for them -- they get to collect top 50 wins against each other in league play), and both will look good. We can dislike Muller and his program all we want, but we want Saturday's rout to be a blowout of a top 50 team; otherwise it loses some of its glitter. And there's not a lot of MVC glitter to be had these days.

To be a top 50 team, Illinois State can probably afford another road loss, but not against someone way below .500 and outside the RPI top 200.
      If ISU loses to Drake, Then wins out through the MVC tourney with a Friday Win vs Drake, Saturday VS UNI, and Sunday VS WSU. They would have an RPI of 26. So closers to being a Top 25 win than dropping out of the Top 50.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        If ISU loses to Drake, Then wins out through the MVC tourney with a Friday Win vs Drake, Saturday VS UNI, and Sunday VS WSU. They would have an RPI of 26. So closers to being a Top 25 win than dropping out of the Top 50.
        The problem with your scenario is that losing to Drake would destroy whats left of their confidence and they would then proceed to implode and lose 2 or 3 more games before Danny boy pushes the right buttons and gets them back on track in time for STL. They then run the table and leave us with 0 top 50 wins and the selection committee slams the door on our fingers.

I'm letting my imagination run wild a bit here but that's the way I see this going based on our scheduling luck so far this year. If it weren't for bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all.
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
          The problem with your scenario is that losing to Drake would destroy whats left of their confidence and they would then proceed to implode and lose 2 or 3 more games before Danny boy pushes the right buttons and gets them back on track in time for STL. They then run the table and leave us with 0 top 50 wins and the selection committee slams the door on our fingers.

I'm letting my imagination run wild a bit here but that's the way I see this going based on our scheduling luck so far this year. If it weren't for bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all.
          If they are going to break that easy .. the 41 point loss already did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
            No $hit!

Takes me back to the good ol' days... :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
            X