No announcement yet.

A Fresh Look Of the 2016/2017 Valley Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's going to be a fun start to conference play tonight against the Trees. I think we've started to see our rotation tighten up last few games, so hopefully our leaders will emerge because we're going to need them. Our JUCO transfers Smith and Willis are so money and they don't even know it. Hopefully they continue to get better and learn the "Play Angry" way day in and day out. I see us taking the regular season title this year and hopefully break the St. Louis curse. After us, it's going to be an interesting battle for number 2 in the Valley. I think UNI is better than their record indicates, and will rally again like last year to be big challenge. Loyola pushed us hard in St. Louis last year and I think they'll be an improved team this year. IlSU will be talented once again but undisciplined which will lead to inconsistency.

Here's how I see it playing out (I'm too lazy to post W-L records):

WSU
    UNI
    Loy.
    IlSU
    InSU
    MSU
    UE
    SIU
    BU
    DU

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      It's going to be a fun start to conference play tonight against the Trees. I think we've started to see our rotation tighten up last few games, so hopefully our leaders will emerge because we're going to need them. Our JUCO transfers Smith and Willis are so money and they don't even know it. Hopefully they continue to get better and learn the "Play Angry" way day in and day out. I see us taking the regular season title this year and hopefully break the St. Louis curse. After us, it's going to be an interesting battle for number 2 in the Valley. I think UNI is better than their record indicates, and will rally again like last year to be big challenge. Loyola pushed us hard in St. Louis last year and I think they'll be an improved team this year. IlSU will be talented once again but undisciplined which will lead to inconsistency.

Here's how I see it playing out (I'm too lazy to post W-L records):

WSU
      UNI
      Loy.
      IlSU
      InSU
      MSU
      UE
      SIU
      BU
      DU
      The team that can the best prevail against the 'Valley Wall of Premier Away Games' versus the first 5-6 teams you mention, and take care of their Home business the best, should win. Myself, I see the Shocks doing so as does most Mags etc. However, it is a long ride from here, so forward we focus and march ahead, one game at a time.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
          16-2 aint happening
          It could and should. We have the talent and depth.

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
            It could and should. We have the talent and depth.
            But do we have the experience and/or toughness?

Comment

Talent, size, depth and coaching. We have all that.

Experience and leadership? Too soon to tell. Toughness? Jury still out. Also concern about our ability to win close games at a high percentage. Fred was the ultimate finisher.

Comment

My foggy crystal ball keeps bouncing back and forth between 3-5 loses in Valley play, but keep in mind that every time I ask, it keeps swearing that I am still the most Handsome in the land.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                  My foggy crystal ball keeps bouncing back and forth between 3-5 loses in Valley play, but keep in mind that every time I ask, it keeps swearing that I am still the most Handsome in the land.
                  I'm still thinking maybe 2 losses and at the most 3. The older I get, my foggy crystal ball blows me off on the handsome talk, swearing to hand-some rocks to it to throw at me. However, these Shocks could be as tough as nails to beat by late Season and really, really good next. Then, we too have lots of Seniors and even more quality depth than now.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Still feelin 17-1 or 18-0 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                      Still feelin 17-1 or 18-0 here.
                      I could be wrong (going by memory here), but the only Shockers for the modern age and almost the only Shocker team to go one loss or less is the undefeated 31-0 team (I think the 75 team may have only lost one game). I don't know if this team is as good as that undefeated team or not. However, I would doubt it. 2-3 losses is much more realistic imo.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        I could be wrong (going by memory here), but the only Shockers for the modern age and almost the only Shocker team to go one loss or less is the undefeated 31-0 team (I think the 75 team may have only lost one game). I don't know if this team is as good as that undefeated team or not. However, I would doubt it. 2-3 losses is much more realistic imo.
                        WSU went 17-1 in 2015 also. Last 3 years have been 18-0, 17-1, 16-2

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          WSU went 17-1 in 2015 also. Last 3 years have been 18-0, 17-1, 16-2
                          Ominous.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            17-1 the year following the undefeated season

Comment

We lost 1 game in league play in 2014-15 - last 3 years have been 18-0, 17-1 and 16-2. A remarkable run, no doubt.

Predicting 17 or 18 MVC wins in no equates this team to the 2013-2014 undefeated team's body of work.

We will see.

Comment

A couple of ISUr fans think 16-2 is possible in Normal. 16-2 is pretty freaking special territory.

Comment

Working...
                                X