A Fresh Look Of the 2016/2017 Valley Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fresh Look Of the 2016/2017 Valley Race

Here's the deal. Take a trek with me back, way back to the Valley Race of Seasons past. Back to the days of Dave "the Rave", Carr, X-Man, and Turgeon the Surgeon as our Coach. The Season we had 4 Valley teams Dancing, remember Billy Packer moaning and groaning like a bullfrog in a Hailstorm? Next thing you know, Bradley defeated KU, we beat Tennessee who just beat Winthrop and both of us made the Sweet 16. What Shockers might make All Valley Teams or other Honors? Shaq, Shamet, MM, or Willis? Loyola and WSU have the best records now. We have chirping birds, ugly dawgs, ramblers, card sharks, trees, braves, panthers, and bears, Oh My!!!!!!! Below are some looks at various Mags and what they thought before the Season started. What do you think and please share any other Mags. I did not have below.

Athlon predicted:--1. WSU 2. Ill. St. 3. N. Iowa 4. Mo. State 5. Ind. St. 6. Loyola 7. S. Illinois 8. Evansville 9. Bradley, Drake

Lindy's Predicted --Exact same as Athlon

Sporting News---1. WSU 2. Illinois State 3. N. Iowa 4. S. Ill. 5. Mo St. 6. Ind. St. 7. Evansville 8. Loyola 9. Bradley 10. Drake

FSF Predictions--1. WSU 2. N. Iowa 3. Ill. State 4. Ind. State 5. Loyola 6. Mo. St. 7. Evansville. 8. S. Ill. 9. Bradley 10. Drake
    Last edited by forevershockerfan; December 18, 2016, 03:32 PM.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

I think we are still in the driver's seat but could see us losing 3-5 Valley games with this young "soft" group. I say "soft" not to rip our current players...rather express it's not what we're used to seeing from our Shocker teams under Marshall.

We turn on the "toughness" switch and forgedda-bout-it Valley. Until that happens all we can do is cheer and do what we Shocker fans do best!!! GO SHOCKERS!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Doubtful a Valley Team goes undefeated this Season, but 3 losses could be good enough. Willis could get newcomer of the year. Before the Season began, I did pick him to be our best rebounder per minutes played but he is also our leading scorer? We will see what happens with our Shockers as the Season soon is to begin. MM, Shaq, and Shamet have a shot at All Conference Honors. Notice of the Picks I have above, I was the only one that picked the Bears out of the first 5. Hope several of you list what you think before the Season starts soon, very soon.

Comment

Valley of death plays out. WSU need to not get sucked in.

1. WSU 15-3
        2. ISUR 12-6
        3. UNI 11-7
        4. LUC 10-8
        5. SWMO 9-9
        6. UE 9-9
        7. ISUB 8-10
        8. SIU 7-10
        9. BU 5-13
        10. DU 3-15

Comment

I predict a single loss. Don't see how SM makes all valley
          averaging 7.6/3.3 and not even starting. He has been very
          average, at best. Dog fight for second and third.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            Valley of death plays out. WSU need to not get sucked in.

1. WSU 15-3
            2. ISUR 12-6
            3. UNI 11-7
            4. LUC 10-8
            5. SWMO 9-9
            6. UE 9-9
            7. ISUB 8-10
            8. SIU 7-10
            9. BU 5-13
            10. DU 3-15
            ISUB is the real wild card this year. They are the most capable team of creating a challenge in our league, but just can't seem to put things together for 40 minutes at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Heiny View Post
              ISUB is the real wild card this year. They are the most capable team of creating a challenge in our league, but just can't seem to put things together for 40 minutes at a time.
              Indiana St. has defeated #16 Butler and Utah State but playing close to 500 ball. Of course that will be our first Valley game and on the road at that. I'm wanting us to get things started on a winning note in Valley play. Not that not many Valley teams will beat 'the picks' at their barn IMO and Brenton Scott is solid.
              Last edited by forevershockerfan; December 21, 2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                I predict a single loss. Don't see how SM makes all valley
                averaging 7.6/3.3 and not even starting. He has been very
                average, at best. Dog fight for second and third.
                Shaqwall will have a fresh start in Valley play. It appears Shaq is 7th on our Squad in minutes played with around 17-mpg. 3G might consider playing him more if Shaq can foul less to even open that gate. The one game he did play around 30 minutes which was a first but to tear up the Valley as he is capable of, he will have to play hard, play smart, and not try to block every solitary shot. More hardwood, less pine.

Comment

doesn't shaq need to lose about 30 more lbs. ? he doesn't look fit at all. he can barely get up the floor for defense, which is strange because it wouldn't take any more than just a bit of mtxe to correct that.

chemistry on this shocker team is.. ?

answer: not good yet

Comment

WSU 16-2
                    LUC 13-5
                    UNI 12-6
                    ISUB 11-7
                    ISUR 10-8
                    MOSU 9-9
                    SIU 9-9
                    EU 8-10
                    BU 6-12
                    DU 2-16

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                      WSU 16-2
                      LUC 13-5
                      UNI 12-6
                      ISUB 11-7
                      ISUR 10-8
                      MOSU 9-9
                      SIU 9-9
                      EU 8-10
                      BU 6-12
                      DU 2-16
                      16-2 aint happening

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                        16-2 aint happening
                        Maybe. I'm likely overly optimistic, as I have been all season so far.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                          Maybe. I'm likely overly optimistic, as I have been all season so far.
                          Or you could be right on and someone that likes to think he always knows better is mistaken.
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                            16-2 aint happening
                            Why not?

What number of losses are you predicting?

Comment

Next weeks game with the Trees on the road could be a guidepost to how we do in this here Valley. In terms of talent and quality depth, we have what is needed to win the Valley Race. Even so, how tough are we mentally as a team when the going gets tougher than nails, especially on the road? We have no Seniors in our 10 man rotation, we have no Baker and FVV as go to players, and no Wessel to dive for the loose balls. We also lost Grady who gave us valuable minutes off the bench inside last Season in Valley play. Will Shaq get healed up and become a Valley force? If not, Willis, MM, and Brown at the 3,4, and 5 are looking promising. One thing about it, no Valley team can match our 4 guards. Marshall will have us prepared to play each game, one at a time. Our foes are thinking this is the very Season to defeat us, rain on our parade, and stop our Ships. Stay tuned because this will be a Season to remember. I predict no more than 2-3 Valley losses for our beloved Shocks and another Ship. That's just the way we roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X