Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    Ranked #11 in Bart Torvik's T-Rank
    Have not heard of this before. Any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      Have not heard of this before. Any good?
      It depends on who is interpreting it, but I think so. Most of the terminology is straight out of KenPom, but his methods appear to be a little different. He has rated us pretty high the last few years, although surprisingly, our 35-1 team was the same rank (#9) as we were last year.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Haslametrics is ranking the Shockers at #11

http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

e
        dit - apologies, unfortunately that was the ranking last season
        Last edited by Shocker1976; November 21, 2016, 12:12 PM. Reason: confirm date of ranking

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

That's from last year. His current year rankings are not quite up yet.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I'll go with these guys opinion. :beaten:

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              That's from last year. His current year rankings are not quite up yet.
              You are correct; I kept a link to his site after Shockernet introduced him to the board last season. IMO he is quite good at what he does.

His first rankings will not be available until the first week of December.

Comment

That sounds reasonable. These early rankings always bother me anyway. Looking forward to Wednesday and hoping for a positive outcome. Should be a better test for this team although I'm not convinced LSU will be a Top 50 team this year when it's all said and done. That's why I'm drooling at a shot at Louisville and MSU.

Comment

But LSU will probably a Top 100 team and this will help some for an invitation to the NCAA.

Comment

http://
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Winning the first game is so important! Drawing Louisville is the SOS prize here.

Win the first game = LSU - Louisville - Mich St or Baylor
                      Lose the first game = LSU - Old Dominion - St Johns or VCU
                      "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
                      -- Pele

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                        That sounds reasonable. These early rankings always bother me anyway. Looking forward to Wednesday and hoping for a positive outcome. Should be a better test for this team although I'm not convinced LSU will be a Top 50 team this year when it's all said and done. That's why I'm drooling at a shot at Louisville and MSU.
                        That's absolutely correct. LSU hasn't looked like world-beaters on their way to a 3-0 record. No blowouts like we've had. Plus, they struggled with a couple of teams that we would have anhillated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                          I received the following information from Erik today -

"Yes, very nice wins for Wichita State so far. They've already eclipsed their 2015-16 bests in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency......though, as you noted, against largely inferior opponents.

Wichita State's best efficiency rating for both offense and defense last season came against Bradley on 1/23/2016. (Remember that I only look at game data before the game is considered "mathematically over.") In the Bradley game, WSU had mathematically won the contest with 13:43 left to play and holding a 61-27 lead. At that point, WSU had an offensive efficiency of 132.6 and a defensive efficiency of 61.4. As I said, those were the team's season bests for 2015-16.

Here are WSU's numbers this year:

* SCState: Outcome decided with WSU up 56-23 w/ 12:54 to play; OE: 112.0, DE: 46.0
                          * LBSU: Outcome decided with WSU up 69-40 w/ 9:02 to play; OE: 117.0, DE: 67.8
                          * Tulsa: Outcome decided with WSU up 71-43 w/ 7:48 to play; OE: 110.9, DE: 69.4
                          * MD-ES: Outcome decided with WSU up 86-51 w/ 13:47 to play; OE: 168.6, DE: 100.0

So, yes, an excellent start. I assume LSU will be a tougher matchup, but the early returns this season for the Shockers look promising. I'm still gathering the data & establishing an acceptable sample set for 2016-17......I'll most likely publish my initial set of ratings at Haslametrics.com sometime during the first week of December. So stay tuned there!"

Comment

Currently 5th in the nation in scoring margin. http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/stats

Comment

I received the following information from Erik today -

"Yes, very nice wins for Wichita State so far. They've already eclipsed their 2015-16 bests in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency......though, as you noted, against largely inferior opponents.

Wichita State's best efficiency rating for both offense and defense last season came against Bradley on 1/23/2016. (Remember that I only look at game data before the game is considered "mathematically over.") In the Bradley game, WSU had mathematically won the contest with 13:43 left to play and holding a 61-27 lead. At that point, WSU had an offensive efficiency of 132.6 and a defensive efficiency of 61.4. As I said, those were the team's season bests for 2015-16.

Here are WSU's numbers this year:

* SCState: Outcome decided with WSU up 56-23 w/ 12:54 to play; OE: 112.0, DE: 46.0
                              * LBSU: Outcome decided with WSU up 69-40 w/ 9:02 to play; OE: 117.0, DE: 67.8
                              * Tulsa: Outcome decided with WSU up 71-43 w/ 7:48 to play; OE: 110.9, DE: 69.4
                              * MD-ES: Outcome decided with WSU up 86-51 w/ 13:47 to play; OE: 168.6, DE: 100.0

So, yes, an excellent start. I assume LSU will be a tougher matchup, but the early returns this season for the Shockers look promising. I'm still gathering the data & establishing an acceptable sample set for 2016-17......I'll most likely publish my initial set of ratings at Haslametrics.com sometime during the first week of December. So stay tuned there!"
                              Can read it now.

Comment

e
                                dit - apologies, unfortunately that was the ranking last season
                                You are correct; I kept a link to his site after Shockernet introduced him to the board last season. IMO he is quite good at what he does.

Haslametrics numbers will be included in a few weeks.
                                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                                X