Favorite Shocker PERSON???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Shocker PERSON???

Here is another topic to get some good discussion going...since there isn't a whole lot going on at this point.

Many of us have had the opportunity to meet some of the student-athletes, coaches, and other people involved with Shocker Athletics. Who are some of the favorite people that you have gotten to know? As a caveat, I would ask that you take athletic ability out of the equation. On strictly a personal level, who have been some of your favorites? That still could mean someone like Ron or Fred...but that could also mean names like...(my choices) Cameron Ledford, Katie Niggemeyer (VB) or Ashley Rosenbaum (track)...people who didn't necessarily get big-time headlines for ability but were absolutely tremendous people. This can also include coaches, assistant coaches, staff members, family, etc. Again, off the beaten path is encouraged for this topic.

Doc and I discussed this and rattled off dozens of names without trying very hard. We agreed that having those acquaintances and even friendships in some cases are what makes watching WSU Athletics that much more gratifying for us...knowing that the Shockers are represented by such outstanding PEOPLE. Forget ability. The people are wonderful.

AANNNDDDD...GO!
    78-65

Lynn and Gregg Marshall...my FAVORITES. Oh, did I miss the point?

Comment

Simply two of the finest people I've ever known...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I only met him for a couple of days at the Ron Baker camp, but I was immensely impressed by Darral Willis as a person. Was very personable and very encouraging for the kids. You could tell he was having a great time out there. I was also very impressed with Duff when we met him in St. Louis after the loss. He couldn't have been a nicer kid, and was very gracious and thankful for the support.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Agreed
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Truer words are rarely spoken.

I remember watching something on the WSU Channel about these two. It was quite awhile ago. At a certain point, Mrs. Beggs found out that she had cancer. She mentioned that she sent a memo to important people around campus, saying something to the effect of, "I don't want tears. I don't want hugs. And if you are going to bring me cookies, they'd better be damn good ones." That might be the most badass thing that I have ever heard.
            78-65

Comment

Everything I hear about the Beggs is that they are tremendous, wonderful, charming, engaging, and sincere people. However, my impression is that as a President of this University, he was just putting in his time until retirement. It just doesn't seem like much was done under his administration to grow the University. His approach seemed to be just maintain and play it safe.
              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I've had limited contact with people in athletics since around the time Gus Santos and Karl Papke were involved, so I'm going a completely different direction.

Scott Nuss was a a grad school intern getting his Masters in Sports Admin. He got 2 GA tickets for that. He didn't need them because he was always at the scorer's table. I got those tickets. That was early in the Stutz era. That got me back into CKA to see games again.

After Scott got his Masters he spent a couple years at Newman as SID. Achieved SID of the year in that league. For reasons not related to career, he returned to his alma mater and became SID at Southwestern College. Was SID of the year 2 out of 3 years there before he was promoted to Associate Athletic Director this summer.

There are success stories out of the WSU athletic department that aren't apparent to the public.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Cam Ledford.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                    Here is another topic to get some good discussion going...since there isn't a whole lot going on at this point.

Many of us have had the opportunity to meet some of the student-athletes, coaches, and other people involved with Shocker Athletics. Who are some of the favorite people that you have gotten to know? As a caveat, I would ask that you take athletic ability out of the equation. On strictly a personal level, who have been some of your favorites? That still could mean someone like Ron or Fred...but that could also mean names like...(my choices) Cameron Ledford, Katie Niggemeyer (VB) or Ashley Rosenbaum (track)...people who didn't necessarily get big-time headlines for ability but were absolutely tremendous people. This can also include coaches, assistant coaches, staff members, family, etc. Again, off the beaten path is encouraged for this topic.

Doc and I discussed this and rattled off dozens of names without trying very hard. We agreed that having those acquaintances and even friendships in some cases are what makes watching WSU Athletics that much more gratifying for us...knowing that the Shockers are represented by such outstanding PEOPLE. Forget ability. The people are wonderful.

AANNNDDDD...GO!
                    This was an interesting discussion, and I'm still internally debating my ultimate answer.

That being said, every time I try and think about the large number of really good people I've had the fortune to meet and know that are associated with Shocker athletics, I have to compare and contrast to Shannon Lamb.

And it's rare that the other person rises to her standards. She's an amazing and wonderful person.

When @WuShock16: and I first discussed this, I went in with the thought of non-athletes, and that's not what he meant but it narrowed my initial thought process.

There is no distinguishing between the goodness of Shannon and Garrett Stutz. Garrett's the best kid I've ever met. He's a remarkable young man and always treated me way better than I deserved.

I hate distinguishing between good people like that....and I think the world of Shannon, but nobody is ever topping Garrett Stutz. EVER.
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; September 6, 2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

In terms of non-athletes at Wichita State, my favorite, hands down is Dean Rhatigan. I had a great opportunity to spend over a year in an office next to Jim, and the amount of wisdom I was lucky enough to be told, and to overhear was more than one could hope for in a lifetime. The stories he told were right up there with the wisdom he shared. Life is all about small wins.

Ramon Clemente & Fridge Holman for athletes.

And also, the many great Shockers I've had the pleasure of meeting at games and around the country. The Final Four was a great time to meet a few of you. @Kung Wu: @WuDrWu: @shoxlax: @pogo: @60Shock: and I'm sure some more I'm forgetting right now, but ShockerNet is full of great Shockers.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I don't often get to sit down and chat with many players/coaches to get a lasting impression. Probably because I'm a bit sheepish and never want to feel like I'm interrupting or bothering them. A few I've met are JR Simon, Kellen and Gregg Marshall (separately), and Ron Baker. All of them very friendly and easy to talk to.

However, I'll bring up a name that I haven't met yet, but my mom has met several times. Zach Bush. My mom said she saw him at On The Border one time and chatted with him after a loss. He was very friendly and didn't talk as much about himself or the team, but also asked what my mom does and asked about her life as well. She was very impressed by this and ended up running into him a few months later and he remembered her and asked "How are your two sons doing?" He's always been a favorite of mine simply because of his silly nature and celebrations on the bench. Just seems like an all around great kid.

Comment

Reuben Eckels

Comment

AC.

The Hometown Hero could have been a top 10 pick. Stayed anyway! WHILE ON SANCTIONS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                              AC.

The Hometown Hero could have been a top 10 pick. Stayed anyway! WHILE ON SANCTIONS!!!
                              That's my pick!!!
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                              X