No announcement yet.

Fred is a Raptor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's one of the nice things about having depth in the NBA -- you can give your guys a night off now and then and count on their backups to fill in at least adequately. Popovich has done that for years, starting as a way to preserve his aging Spurs, and it's been successful enough as an approach that others have adopted it. Fred is the kind of player who will make it work in Toronto until his role expands beyond just that, whether with the Raptors or someone else (which is kind of how Cory Joseph got to his current status -- he used to be San Antonio's #3 PG behind Parker and Mills / others, and look at him in Toronto now).

Comment

• Fred will probably keep this role for the rest of the season, occasionally filling in when one of the other point guards needs a rest day. Barring injury I don't see him getting into the regular rotation this season.

The good news is he has played well when called upon. Which means either he will get paid to go be a backup somewhere else next season, or the Raptors will give him a nice contract to stick around and they let one of their other point guards go (who might be looking at a major payday soon).
      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Fred is in. DirecTV has a League Pass free trial for the next few days. Maybe some other providers do too.

Comment

• FVV finished w/2 pts, 2 reb and 1 ast in 5 minutes on 1 of 2 shooting.

4th straight game where he's seen minutes. He won't see 20+ often, but he is clawing his way up the chart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
            Fred will probably keep this role for the rest of the season, occasionally filling in when one of the other point guards needs a rest day. Barring injury I don't see him getting into the regular rotation this season.

The good news is he has played well when called upon. Which means either he will get paid to go be a backup somewhere else next season, or the Raptors will give him a nice contract to stick around and they let one of their other point guards go (who might be looking at a major payday soon).
            Fred's contract is for 2 years. 543k this year and 900 something k next year now all fully guranteed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickwayne87 View Post
              Fred's contract is for 2 years. 543k this year and 900 something k next year now all fully guranteed.
              That is awesome!!! I only knew it was guaranteed for this year. I knew it was a two year partially guaranteed when it started. I thought the second year would still be partially guaranteed. If it's fully guaranteed for next year too, that's great!!!
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                That is awesome!!! I only knew it was guaranteed for this year. I knew it was a two year partially guaranteed when it started. I thought the second year would still be partially guaranteed. If it's fully guaranteed for next year too, that's great!!!
                This is my understanding too - I believe the portion guaranteed was for this year only. Would love to be proven wrong if someone has the evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickwayne87 View Post
                  Thanks for the extra good news. Mucho thanks
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                    This is my understanding too - I believe the portion guaranteed was for this year only. Would love to be proven wrong if someone has the evidence.
                    Per USA Today, contract is guaranteed for this year and there is a team option for next year, so not guaranteed.

Comment

• Originally posted by bighouse View Post
                      Per USA Today, contract is guaranteed for this year and there is a team option for next year, so not guaranteed.
                      I think that team options have a deadline attached to it. If they exercise their option, it will be guaranteed. Fred isn't a free agent who can sign with anyone for any amount until Toronto decides they don't wish to keep him. The option has benefits and negatives for both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        I think that team options have a deadline attached to it. If they exercise their option, it will be guaranteed. Fred isn't a free agent who can sign with anyone for any amount until Toronto decides they don't wish to keep him. The option has benefits and negatives for both sides.
                        If I understand what you're saying, is that if Toronto decides to retain Fred on the option date, then he is guaranteed for the season; if not, Toronto owes nothing but Fred can negotiate with any other team. Is that about it?
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                          If I understand what you're saying, is that if Toronto decides to retain Fred on the option date, then he is guaranteed for the season; if not, Toronto owes nothing but Fred can negotiate with any other team. Is that about it?
                          I think that is how it works.

Comment

• I completely accept that I am biased, but based on his performances so far, I have to think that there are at least a dozen NBA teams that would kill to add Fred to their roster at the bargain rate of 900k.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              I completely accept that I am biased, but based on his performances so far, I have to think that there are at least a dozen NBA teams that would kill to add Fred to their roster at the bargain rate of 900k.
                              I think the Knicks should trade for him. The Knicks like Ron because he can play D, high BB IQ and seems to know where the right place on the court at the right time is. Fred would bring more of the same.
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• They could get Early back, too. Those 3 were very good at not losing together.

Comment

Working...
                                X