Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we can just chalk Ron's contract up to having a good agent. Maybe his agent bluffed and the Knicks blinked.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• looks like three years qualifies for much more paid health insurance, 60k pension, 140% 401k match

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Stop the presses! People in New York are complaining! Maybe people in Philly complain more than people in NY - maybe.

People in NY are permanently irritated. Complaining is what they do.
        My wife and I were sitting in a Doctor's Waiting Room last winter which is of course the time of the season when Florida is packed every year with North Eastern snow birds. There were 14 other people (mostly couples) waiting there as well. One guy broke the silence and stated, "Seems to be the people here in Florida are more friendly than they are back in New York," and his comment got several agreements from other several obvious New Yorkers.

Then another guy spoke up and stated, "I don't know about that, I've run into some pretty loud obnoxious people here in Florida."

To which my sweet wife replied, "You know why that is don't you?"

"No, please tell me why" the guy asked in a very loud voice."

And of course she just could not resist answering in a very sweet voice, "Should be pretty obvious, It's because all you New Yorkers' are now down here!"

There was complete silence for what seemed like an eternity until, thankfully, one woman burst out in laughter, and the vast majority joined her.

Got to give the New Yorkers' credit for having a good sense of humor.

Comment

• The Knickerbockers seriously need to dump off Carmelo in a trade. This will solve the cap issues. Time to start rebuilding, and I'm glad they see value in Ron.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
            The contract is actually for one season. It's Ron's choice if he wants to make it two years for the same money. If he has a breakout season, he could renegotiate with the Knicks or become an unrestricted free agent. If he gets hurt and misses every game, he can take the option and the Knicks are stuck.
            Well hell....that's like one of the best deals ever. Pretty much guaranteed even with an unfortunate injury or after next season if the Knicks are not in Ron's future plans...he can move on to a better franchise should he have a good season and attract other teams interest. Sounds like a best case scenario for our boy!!!
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              I think we can just chalk Ron's contract up to having a good agent. Maybe his agent bluffed and the Knicks blinked.
              These are my thoughts. The player option still baffles me, not the money. I can't imagine what the Knicks gained by a player option. Ron wasn't turning down 8.9 over 2 either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                These are my thoughts. The player option still baffles me, not the money. I can't imagine what the Knicks gained by a player option. Ron wasn't turning down 8.9 over 2 either way.
                How does one know this? If Baker is in such a position that one team is willing to pay $4.5MM/yr to keep him in a crappy situation, how do we know that other teams aren't willing to pay large sums of money for potentially less crappy situations. Baker and his agent may be of the opinion based on conversations with others in the league, that Baker will be worth considerably more than $4.5MM/yr by the player option year of this contract.

Bottom line, I think it is reasonable for most of us to conclude:
                1.) The Knicks are generally a horribly run pro franchise, and as such basically all of their decisions are worth looking at sideways
                2.) We are not privy to nearly enough information regarding the entire league's perception of Ron Baker's current and future potential worth to make a determination if the Knicks made a terrible deal or did what they had to in order to lock up their starting PG.
                3.) Ron Baker is making bank, and he appears to be a very deserving fellow and we are extremely excited for him, what it means to players of his type (guys that win games, not draft combines), and what it could mean to future recruits considering WSU and Marshall.

Comment

Ron must have wanted a 3 year deal which as pointed out would guarantee him lots of benefits. Instead, the Knicks sweetened the deal by guaranteeing Ron two years but if Ron has a great year this year, he can walk for more money.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    Ron must have wanted a 3 year deal which as pointed out would guarantee him lots of benefits. Instead, the Knicks sweetened the deal by guaranteeing Ron two years but if Ron has a great year this year, he can walk for more money.
                    He was never getting a 3 year deal from the Knicks. They were always using one of two exceptions on him both of which are limited to two year deals. Without the use of the room exception he certainly would not have gotten 8.9.

Comment

He was never getting a 3 year deal from the Knicks. They were always using one of two exceptions on him both of which are limited to two year deals. Without the use of the room exception he certainly would not have gotten 8.9.
                      And the Knicks were never going to get 1.5 Million for one or two years. That's why they negotiate. Does one only look at it from NYK perspective?

Comment

• Tenured after three years of service...

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          And the Knicks were never going to get 1.5 Million for one or two years. That's why they negotiate. Does one only look at it from NYK perspective?
                          Probably not, that doesn't suddenly make it a good deal. The fundamental problem with your logic is that the Knicks were under no obligation to negotiate, he was a RFA. They could have let him take an offer sheet and matched. Unless you really think that another team was offering a better contract and Ron was willing to walk away from it.

Comment

Probably not, that doesn't suddenly make it a good deal. The fundamental problem with your logic is that the Knicks were under no obligation to negotiate, he was a RFA. They could have let him take an offer sheet and matched. Unless you really think that another team was offering a better contract and Ron was willing to walk away from it.
                            The Knicks rescinded that RFA status. RB was a FA at that point.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Can anyone on here say they would turn that contract down? If so, you may need your head checked.

FMV is what someone is willing to pay. This has been discussed at length. NY paid it, Ron took it, thus this is his fair market value.

I say congrats and good luck with this contract and others to follow.

He deserves this and we shouldnt be discussing him getting overpaid. As far as I know, there aren't any of the NYK peoe on here that make decisions. Lets quit questioning it and just enjoy the fact that we will all get to see Ron play at least two more yrs in the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                                The Knicks rescinded that RFA status. RB was a FA at that point.
                                I think people are forgetting this. NY wanted him, so they paid accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                X