Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    I don't know much (actually lerss than that) about NBA contracts, but what is a "player option"?
    The contract is actually for one season. It's Ron's choice if he wants to make it two years for the same money. If he has a breakout season, he could renegotiate with the Knicks or become an unrestricted free agent. If he gets hurt and misses every game, he can take the option and the Knicks are stuck.

Comment

• If KWCH approached other state teams similarly to WSU:

"KU's Jackson drafted 4th by Suns...After 1 year can we be sure he doesn't suck?"

"KState's Wesley Iwundu taken 33rd by Orlando. We hadn't heard of him either."

Comment

• I dont understand all the hate Ron is getting from these knicks fans because of his deal, 9 million is barley a drop in the bucket compared to the overall player budgets. What a bunch of unappreciative a holes they are up in NY he worked his butt off to get to this point.
        Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          If KWCH approached other state teams similarly to WSU:

"KU's Jackson drafted 4th by Suns...After 1 year can we be sure he doesn't suck?"

"KState's Wesley Iwundu taken 33rd by Orlando. We hadn't heard of him either."
          "Kelly Oubre drafted in first round even though he got out hustled and dunked on by Zach Brown in an embarrassing defeat."

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
            I dont understand all the hate Ron is getting from these knicks fans because of his deal, 9 million is barley a drop in the bucket compared to the overall player budgets. What a bunch of unappreciative a holes they are up in NY he worked his butt off to get to this point.
            The guys on the Posting and Toasting site have always been fans of Ron and wanted him back, but in their article about his contract, they make the same point that he was overpaid relative to last seasons performance, and his deal eliminated all but $1.5 mil of cap space, and they were still looking to add a player.

Sure, Knicks fans hate the Noah contract 10x more, but they were stuck with that and didn't want the rest of their cap space spent on Ron.

Comment

I dont understand all the hate Ron is getting from these knicks fans because of his deal, 9 million is barley a drop in the bucket compared to the overall player budgets. What a bunch of unappreciative a holes they are up in NY he worked his butt off to get to this point.
              Oh come on. There is a legitimate argument that the Knicks could have kept Ron for half that. They have a long history of overpaying for players. I've yet to hear an argument why they shouldn't have offered less. They would have still had the right to match any other offers that came in, and if none did, they would have saved $$$.

NYers complain sometimes about dumb things, but I don't think this is one of them. "Working his butt off" is irrelevant. If other teams weren't prepared to offer him anything similar, then the Knick's overspent by offering him so much more than what they needed to in order to keep him.

Comment

• Originally posted by champions5 View Post
                It depends if you mean total pay or highest per year deal.

X signed a 3-year deal at age 29 with the Celtics that paid him $1.65 million, $2.1 million, and $2.6 million for a total of $6.35 million, and was making $1.4 million the previous season with the Knicks. It's difficult to find what he was making the other 9 seasons but I assume the total is more than Ron's 2-year deal. Ron's deal per year is more than X ever made as far as I can tell.
                Adjust for inflation in the NBA market. It is more than Jordan made until 1998.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                  The guys on the Posting and Toasting site have always been fans of Ron and wanted him back, but in their article about his contract, they make the same point that he was overpaid relative to last seasons performance, and his deal eliminated all but $1.5 mil of cap space, and they were still looking to add a player.

Sure, Knicks fans hate the Noah contract 10x more, but they were stuck with that and didn't want the rest of their cap space spent on Ron.
                  How would they have felt if the Knicks had operated on the "cheap" in Ron's case, offered him 1.5 Million (saving 3 millions dollars), and lost him to another team who saw his value too. That was a real possibility if they had not operated in good faith.

They signed Hardaway for 11.5 million a year and most likely over paid him. Why don't the fans get on that deal where (maybe more talented than Ron) his value regarding his intangibles makes it a so-so deal at best and a bad deal at worst?

Comment

Where is the hate? I think most peole are saying that the Knicks should have paid exactly $1 more than the next highest team if they wanted to keep him, all things equal. Could have been a situation where they really wanted him and he was willing to take less to play elsewhere, but who's to say? Regardless, this level of payday if managed even quasi competently can set him up for life.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                      Oh come on. There is a legitimate argument that the Knicks could have kept Ron for half that. They have a long history of overpaying for players. I've yet to hear an argument why they shouldn't have offered less.
                      Do you know for sure that they didn't have information regarding other teams value of Ron and if it would have taken that amount? Ron has a lot of intangibles that get overlooked (he's durable and rarely gets hurt, leadership, plays hard every play, smart player, plays defense) that are not a common commodity in the NBA.

I do agree that they over pay. See Hardaway.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        How would they have felt if the Knicks had operated on the "cheap" in Ron's case, offered him 1.5 Million (saving 3 millions dollars), and lost him to another team who saw his value too. That was a real possibility if they had not operated in good faith.

They signed Hardaway for 11.5 million a year and most likely over paid him. Why don't the fans get on that deal where (maybe more talented than Ron) his value regarding his intangibles makes it a so-so deal at best and a bad deal at worst?
                        They didn't like the THJ deal either, but did understand that they were competing against the Hawks (who could match) and potentially other teams. They loved Ron, but were willing to let him walk for more than $2 mil.

Comment

• The NBA is extending contracts like Ron's across the board. Just look at the recent contract offers/signings. What Ron received is just about average for performance level.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                            Where is the hate? I think most peole are saying that the Knicks should have paid exactly $1 more than the next highest team if they wanted to keep him, all things equal. Could have been a situation where they really wanted him and he was willing to take less to play elsewhere, but who's to say? Regardless, this level of payday if managed even quasi competently can set him up for life.
                            That kind of common sense is a rarity in the NBA. You are right, and his sensibilities to handle that relatively little of money, NBA speaking, shows another reason that he is a good guy to have on the team. I just think that I don't hear this criticism over other contracts that the Knicks have given out that waste much more money than Ron's. Ron doesn't deserve that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                              They didn't like the THJ deal either, but did understand that they were competing against the Hawks (who could match) and potentially other teams. They loved Ron, but were willing to let him walk for more than $2 mil.
                              Maybe those people don't realize value when they see it.

Comment

• Hypothetically, If Ron had a 2 mil dollar offer from a quality, winning organization I doubt the Knicks would be able to keep him by offering $1 more because they are a dysfunctional organization with little hope of winning anytime soon.

I think Baker is being undervalued similar to when he came out of High School. That doesn't surprise me coming from Knicks fans, they don't know any better. Hearing it from Shocker fans is kinda surprising.

Comment

Working...
                                X