Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am hoping that if Ron doesn't make the Knicks roster this fall that his guarantee is enough to make it affordable for him to stick around in the Dleague instead of going overseas. I saw an interview with Fred that said those guarantees are as much as 100,000. If so, it would make sense for him to do Dleague where he is more highly visible and can be called up any time for 10 days...

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
      I am hoping that if Ron doesn't make the Knicks roster this fall that his guarantee is enough to make it affordable for him to stick around in the Dleague instead of going overseas. I saw an interview with Fred that said those guarantees are as much as 100,000. If so, it would make sense for him to do Dleague where he is more highly visible and can be called up any time for 10 days...
      I would hope he would go get paid and not be like Toure on the cusp of making a team for years with no money to show for it. Cotton went to Europe and is still getting a shot. Plus Italy>Mcallen Texas and other such D League dumps.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
        I would hope he would go get paid and not be like Toure on the cusp of making a team for years with no money to show for it. Cotton went to Europe and is still getting a shot. Plus Italy>Mcallen Texas and other such D League dumps.
        Some places in Europe are much better than D league. Others, not so much.
        Livin the dream

Comment

If Ron makes the 15 man roster, he won't be playing in Europe. Even if he never suits up and plays D League all year, he still gets the rookie minimum, which is just shy of $600,000 for the year.

If he doesn't make the 15 man roster but chooses to play D League, that's where the crap $20,000 salary comes in.

If he doesn't make the roster, he needs to go to Europe.

Comment

This is probably old news, but here it is, just in case.

Visit ESPN for Wichita State Shockers live scores, video highlights, and latest news. Find standings and the full 2023-24 season schedule.

Am I the only one, who has difficulty in understanding the NBA schedules for summer play? Just wondering.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              This is probably old news, but here it is, just in case.

Visit ESPN for Wichita State Shockers live scores, video highlights, and latest news. Find standings and the full 2023-24 season schedule.

Am I the only one, who has difficulty in understanding the NBA schedules for summer play? Just wondering.
              Three different round robin tournaments- Orlando, Salt Lake, and Vegas.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Link fixed to start at beginning.

https://dailyknicks.com/2016/07/08/new-york-knicks-ron-baker-is-worth-keeping-around/
                Last edited by wusphlash; July 10, 2016, 12:40 PM.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                  If Ron makes the 15 man roster, he won't be playing in Europe. Even if he never suits up and plays D League all year, he still gets the rookie minimum, which is just shy of $600,000 for the year.

If he doesn't make the 15 man roster but chooses to play D League, that's where the crap $20,000 salary comes in.

If he doesn't make the roster, he needs to go to Europe.

I think it depends on what amount of the contract is guaranteed. Does anyone know what that number is for Ron? I haven't heard.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Thanks again. Some nice words for Ron in the above article.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Baker and Randle made such strong cases during the Summer League games (especially when contrasted against the "performance" of their competitors on the Knicks summer squad), you have to like their odds at making the 15 man roster. A couple of perfect fits to carry at the league minimum and see if they can provide productive minutes when the need arises.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                        I think it depends on what amount of the contract is guaranteed. Does anyone know what that number is for Ron? I haven't heard.
                        If I am correct in my understanding of the NBA salary cap rules, and I'd like to think that I am, then any player on the 15 man roster is subject to the salary rules in the CBA. The league minimum contracts are based on the years of service in the league. Someone with 0 years of NBA service earns a minimum of $543,471 per year.

NBA rosters can only have 13 actives, so it's possible Ron plays all year in the D League (as a member of the 15 man roster) but makes over half a million doing so.

It's similar to Cle's two years in NY. He bounced between the D League and the Knicks, but was on the 15 man roster and was paid accordingly, regardless of where he was playing.

If Ron doesn't make the 15, he is waived and becomes a free agent. He may have received nothing in pay (if released before the season and had no guarantee of pay if he didn't make the 15) or a prorated amount of a small salary.

Comment

A guaranteed contract (like Plumlee just signed a 3 year contract with the Knicks where the first year is fully guaranteed) means even if you're cut, you still get paid. Ron's partial guarantee means he gets an invite to training camp, and if he makes the roster, he earns the league minimum. If he gets cut during the year and before January 10ish (different each year but close to this date), he only gets a prorated portion of the $543,000 league minimum (assuming he signs for the minimum). If the contract is fully guaranteed and he gets cut mid season, he still gets the full pay for the guaranteed year(s).
                          Last edited by ArtVandalay; July 10, 2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I know Fred said he didn't want to get drafted for a team to stash him in the D League for two years at crap pay, and that there were talks of $100,000 training camp offers. That's relatively rare. Most partial guarantees are at the 50K minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                              A guaranteed contract (like Plumlee just signed a 3 year contract with the Knicks where the first year is fully guaranteed) means even if you're cut, you still get paid. Ron's partial guarantee means he gets an invite to training camp, and if he makes the roster, he earns the league minimum. If he gets cut during the year and before January 10ish (different each year but close to this date), he only gets a prorated portion of the $543,000 league minimum (assuming he signs for the minimum). If the contract is fully guaranteed and he gets cut mid season, he still gets the full pay for the guaranteed year(s).
                              Actually, if he gets cut before that January date, he will get the highest value between his partial guarantee vs the prorated amounted for # of days he was on the roster. So, say he had a partially guaranteed contract for $100K, (I have no clue how much his contract is) and he gets cut on day 2 of the NBA season, he would receive the $100K. However, if he got cut on day 40 then he would get the prorated amount of ~$128K (40/170 X $543K)

A few days ago I was trying to understand how the partially guaranteed contract works and I found this article from 2013. I think it does a good job of explaining the process:

The Pelicans officially released Lance Thomas and Arinze Onuaku yesterday in order to create room on their roster to add …

Comment

Originally posted by jrschh View Post
                                Actually, if he gets cut before that January date, he will get the highest value between his partial guarantee vs the prorated amounted for # of days he was on the roster. So, say he had a partially guaranteed contract for $100K, (I have no clue how much his contract is) and he gets cut on day 2 of the NBA season, he would receive the $100K. However, if he got cut on day 40 then he would get the prorated amount of ~$128K (40/170 X $543K)

A few days ago I was trying to understand how the partially guaranteed contract works and I found this article from 2013. I think it does a good job of explaining the process:

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/11/p...contracts.html
                                You are correct, but typically the partial guarantee is small enough that you would have to be cut within the first half of a month or so for that to happen, but yes, they would get the greater of the prorated or guaranteed amount.

Comment

Working...
                                X