2016 Summer Scrimmage Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    I suppose most guys could play multiple positions, but Kelly is a big strong man.
    I'm a Kelly apologist. I agree.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      I'm a Kelly apologist. I agree.
      R Kelly against Miami is all I can remember right now... And it makes my stomach hurt

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
        R Kelly against Miami is all I can remember right now... And it makes my stomach hurt
        I try not to think about Miami. That game has a tendency to lower opinions of a lot more than just Rashard, unfortunately.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          I'm not trying to be a smartass here. They're both practice guys. The only time John Robert played meaningful minutes was when a disaster happened.

JRS can't guard D1 athletes. He's a GREAT young man and a coachable kid that's great for the program. I haven't met the WV kid but I've been told he's from a good solid family and is the kind of kid that would be solid for our program.

Skillwise? Too small a sample. Certainly he's bigger and big matters. I'd say his skill set is beyond JRS but I have no idea if he'll develop into the kind of leader JRS has become.

John Robert is a pretty high bar for a walk on in my humble opinion.
          People don't appreciate JRS like they should in his role. Leadership wise, he is the second coming of Cam Ledford.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Here's one man's opinion and it's an opinion only...

Expect some redshirts.
            Redshirts would not surprise me, either, Doc (although I also almost always expect more redshirts than there turn out to be).

There are nine guys not including Nurger or Hamilton or the two freshman (scholarship) guards who all figure to get significant time. Last year Nurger was headed for a redshirt until Grady got hurt, possibly much more seriously in terms of his absence than actually turned out to be the case, thus necessitating that Rauno play; but maybe this year it'll actually happen? After all, if Willis is really All That, he could easily get almost as many minutes (720 total) as Grady and Wamukota ended up getting together, and a continually improving Shaq could increase his time (530 minutes last year for 15.6 / game) to combine with Willis for enough court action to enable Rauno to sit if he and the coaches want to try it again.

As for the guards, Keyser's attempt to be the taller Tekele Cotton may earn him time -- Tekele played as a freshman, too, when some of us looking in from outside weren't expecting it, but that doesn't guarantee it'll happen again. And what about Reaves -- will he be physically ready notwthstanding his skills and apparent basketball IQ? After all, the guard spot looks to be pretty deep for WSU, especially if CJ does get some minutes. There may not be as much PROVEN depth as we saw last year, but when it comes to talent and sheer numbers of guards, this year's edition doesn't have to take a back seat to any Shocker group. That could easily spell R-E-D-S-H-I-R-T for someone.

Comment

With our Senior class having zero scholarship players, redshirting a couple guys this season makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Nurger red shirting this year makes zero sense to me. He has two years left and we have zero seniors. If he can't contribute this year, don't think he could next year. Do we care if we have one year of Nurger after that?

With the way our bigs always seem to be in foul trouble, keep him ready to go.

Comment

I think there are a couple of reasons that could contribute to the decision IF they decided to redshirt Rauno this year. The biggest one, obviously is they believe he can see marked improvement because of it. The other reason I could see is that outside of Hamilton, who I see more as a 4 than a 5, they don't have any bigs left for what would be Markis/Landry senior season. A redshirt would slide Rauno into that class.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                    I think there are a couple of reasons that could contribute to the decision IF they decided to redshirt Rauno this year. The biggest one, obviously is they believe he can see marked improvement because of it. The other reason I could see is that outside of Hamilton, who I see more as a 4 than a 5, they don't have any bigs left for what would be Markis/Landry senior season. A redshirt would slide Rauno into that class.
                    Markis and Landry are in two separate classes now. Markis is a Sophomore and Landry is a Freshman. With that said, there is still 2 more years that someone can come on board to fill that role before Markis is a Senior.

Comment

You make some good points. The only point that I would make is that I see Hamilton as playing the 5 very well (although with his skill potential, he is tailor made for a 4 position). However, he would have to listen the coaches and increase his IQ as to what he is needed for. He would have to learn how to defense (hedge) the screen at the 4 line (he is athletically capable), and he would need to concentrate on rebounding. He could be a "horse" on the boards if he really put in the time, because of his athleticism. Finally, the problem to him being able to play the 5 is that he may have difficulty learning more than one position.After all, he didn't sufficiently learn the 4 last year to have the confidence of Gregg.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        Markis and Landry are in two separate classes now. Markis is a Sophomore and Landry is a Freshman. With that said, there is still 2 more years that someone can come on board to fill that role before Markis is a Senior.
                        You're correct. Should've said what would've been Markis and Landry's senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'll book as much as anyone wants and lay 10-1 that at least one of McDuffie and Shamet aren't here as seniors.

Comment

I'll book as much as anyone wants and lay 10-1 that at least one of McDuffie and Shamet aren't here as seniors.
                            I sincerely hope that if that is the case, it will be because of their decision to become first round draft picks, and not anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              You make some good points. The only point that I would make is that I see Hamilton as playing the 5 very well (although with his skill potential, he is tailor made for a 4 position). However, he would have to listen the coaches and increase his IQ as to what he is needed for. He would have to learn how to defense (hedge) the screen at the 4 line (he is athletically capable), and he would need to concentrate on rebounding. He could be a "horse" on the boards if he really put in the time, because of his athleticism. Finally, the problem to him being able to play the 5 is that he may have difficulty learning more than one position.After all, he didn't sufficiently learn the 4 last year to have the confidence of Gregg.
                              Hamilton per 40 rebounds was 10.3 compared to grady 10.6 and Shaq 9.3. On a per 100 possession basis, 15.6 to Grady's 16.0 and Shaq at 14.0.

In 2013-14, Lufile was 12.0 and Carter 9.8 per 40; on a per 100 possession, Lufile was 18.6, Carter 15.2 and Early and Coleman 13.4.
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I sincerely hope that if that is the case, it will be because of their decision to become first round draft picks, and not anything else.

It's a reality check, and nothing more. And not directed at you at all but all of us.

Guys get injured, homesick, discouraged, full of themselves, become parents, drop out and yes sometimes go pro. It happens, it's the nature of the beast.

And the lesson?

Enjoy the ride. Don't worry about 2 or 3 years from now. It will go by fast enough as it is. Right now the ride requires an E ticket. Don't miss it.

Comment

Working...
                                X