2016 Summer Scrimmage Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background on Scrimmages

I have found in past years that they do not scrimmage every single day during the week. Sometimes they may lift weights more than usual, so they may skip a scrimmage on that day. One trick I found in past years is that they typically start scrimmages after 5 PM, so you have to be in the doors before 5 because they get locked at 5. Another pertinent fact in June is that the players assist with the camps. The camp(s) for younger players ended last week & the camps for the older players starts on June 20th. You can check out the details on GoShockers.com under basketball which is what I did. I had to search around to find them perhaps under archives in the lower R/H corner. I went to a scrimmage 3 or 4 yrs ago where one of the camps for older players was just finishing, so I had to sit through about an hour of WSU handing out all sorts of awards for various age groups. In essence, the best time to watch a scrimmage this month is prior to June 20th.

The best scrimmages to watch are where the coaches are allowed to work with them 2 hrs a week. I lucked out and made it to one of those 2 yrs ago in Sept. It showed exactly what Fred Van Vleet used to say: "Practices are harder than the games". It was just before the season when a new NCAA rule disallowed hand checking, so one drill involved groups of 5 players chasing a manager around while they all shuffled their feet. It was a very intense workout. I think that for anyone to see that type of practice you just need to be lucky because my guess is the coaches aren't going to tell you when it will happen.

Comment

Btw, someone asked where the scrimmages usually occur. My write-up mentioned that the one yesterday took place in the Multipurpose facility at CKA. The scrimmage I saw 2 yrs ago where the coaches participated in Sept took place on the regular CKA court. There is no set rule on where they scrimmage as they have to share the 2 areas with the women's volleyball team & also the women's basketball team. The women's BB team had the CKA court yesterday because they were running a camp there.

Comment

Here's one man's opinion and it's an opinion only.

I believe our stars will be McDuffie, Shamet, Morris and Frankamp. Clearly Markis and Landry can be superstars.

Willis, Kelly, Brown and Allen will be consistent contributors with the possibility to star.

Smith has a ways to go. Ultra fast and can really get in a guy's grill defensively.

Nurger, Hamilton, freshmen......spot play appears to be the ceiling. Expect some redshirts.

Anyone that thinks the walkons are going to give minutes that make this team a top 25 team needs to have their head examined.

They are a solid group of young men that know their role and their value. And it's off the floor and in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I believe our stars will be McDuffie, Shamet, Morris and Frankamp. Clearly Markis and Landry can be superstars.

Willis, Kelly, Brown and Allen will be consistent contributors with the possibility to star.

Smith has a ways to go. Ultra fast and can really get in a guy's grill defensively.

Nurger, Hamilton, freshmen......spot play appears to be the ceiling. Expect some redshirts.

Anyone that thinks the walkons are going to give minutes that make this team a top 25 team needs to have their head examined.

They are a solid group of young men that know their role and their value. And it's off the floor and in practice.
          I haven't seen anything, so have no clue, but was wondering how good the Solomon kid (walk-on) from West Virginia is. I understand him not being a game time guy, but do you think he develops into a JRS kind of guy? Higher or lower?
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I would love to see Hamilton force coach to play him this year. He's a guy that could take us from good to great.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
              I haven't seen anything, so have no clue, but was wondering how good the Solomon kid (walk-on) from West Virginia is. I understand him not being a game time guy, but do you think he develops into a JRS kind of guy? Higher or lower?
              I'm not trying to be a smartass here. They're both practice guys. The only time John Robert played meaningful minutes was when a disaster happened.

JRS can't guard D1 athletes. He's a GREAT young man and a coachable kid that's great for the program. I haven't met the WV kid but I've been told he's from a good solid family and is the kind of kid that would be solid for our program.

Skillwise? Too small a sample. Certainly he's bigger and big matters. I'd say his skill set is beyond JRS but I have no idea if he'll develop into the kind of leader JRS has become.

John Robert is a pretty high bar for a walk on in my humble opinion.

Comment

I'm not trying to be a smartass here. They're both practice guys. The only time John Robert played meaningful minutes was when a disaster happened.

JRS can't guard D1 athletes. He's a GREAT young man and a coachable kid that's great for the program. I haven't met the WV kid but I've been told he's from a good solid family and is the kind of kid that would be solid for our program.

Skillwise? Too small a sample. Certainly he's bigger and big matters. I'd say his skill set is beyond JRS but I have no idea if he'll develop into the kind of leader JRS has become.

Thanks Doc. I didn't take that as smartassy (is that a word) at all.

Comment

I hope your wrong on at least one of Nurger or Hamilton... We need a third big inside...

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                    I hope your wrong on at least one of Nurger or Hamilton... We need a third big inside...
                    That third big is probably the spot play Doc is mentioning.

The question is whether Brown/Allen are more important/farther along/demanding more minutes in the lineup than Kelly/Nurger/Hamilton at this time. If so, Markis will see more time at the 4 pushing Willis to more time at the 5. There are only 80 minutes available at the 4/5 and most likely McDuffie will be seeing 25-30 total minutes with maybe 10 of that at the 3. At best, that leaves 60 minutes for Morris, Willis, Kelly, and the rest. Morris and Willis playing 45 mpg together doesn't leave much to go around.

Comment

I don't know if it's a realistic option or not, but has anyone thought of Brown at the 4? I don't know if he'd be good there against some of the P5 teams we may encounter, but he might be able to move from 3-4 in smaller lineups?

Comment

100% agree with this. Like you said, he can't guard D1 athletes. But he's one of the better actual walk-ons I've seen (no, Baker doesn't count).
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                          I don't know if it's a realistic option or not, but has anyone thought of Brown at the 4? I don't know if he'd be good there against some of the P5 teams we may encounter, but he might be able to move from 3-4 in smaller lineups?
                          Brown can play a little 4. He's basically the same size as Kelly.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

This is how I expect to see things play out as well.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              Brown can play a little 4. He's basically the same size as Kelly.
                              I suppose most guys could play multiple positions, but Kelly is a big strong man.

Comment

If Kelly could dominate the boards, I would be thrilled. We need to get right on the defensive glass this year.
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X