How to Duplicate WSU's Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Duplicate WSU's Success

There is a an article on the Springfield newspaper discussing how WSU became such a dominant team. The article tries to explain to the MSU fans how they could do the same. Whatever, but it is a nice summary of WSU's past 5 years.

Previously posted and being discussed on Realignment Thread, Page 160, Post #3989.

Comment

Sorry I totally missed that, thanks for the notice

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoShocker View Post
        Easy to do with the volume of posts and threads on ShockerNet.

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoShocker View Post
          IMO, no need to apologize - hardly fits in the realignment thread and is worthy of it own discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            IMO, no need to apologize - hardly fits in the realignment thread and is worthy of it own discussion.
            Yep.
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

So does anyone believe that Missouri State, or any other current Valley members, can or will duplicate the WSU success? If say 3 other Valley members achieved that would that be enough to shelve the realignment talk or would those programs also jump on the looking for a better conference situation train as well? Clearly this will not happen overnight.

Will WSU be able to sustain its success? I think so but it will require strong leadership. WSU certainly can not let its facilities fall behind like it did prior to the Roundhouse Rennaissance. I think we have that but Dr. Bardo is not a young man and who knows how long Gregg Marshall will want to coach. So good succession choices down the line will be critical.

Our most immediate need may be to determine who will head up the Athletic Department on a permanent basis. Maybe that will be Darren Boatright and maybe someone else. Either way WSU needs to get that right for the long term health of the program. Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt on that subject?

Comment

It really pains me to see the hometown newspaper writing an article like that. Not that it isn't a worthy topic of conversation but it sort of feels like finding an essay from your mom about how you can be like the cool kids in school if you do such and such. No thanks, mom. I don't want them to think I am trying to emulate them even if they have the right recipe.

I am not sure it is possible to be frank. It is much easier without football to punch above your weight in a sport like basketball. For some the simple retort to my last sentence would be "well eliminate football. duh." but I don't think that is the right tact. I cling to football like Charlton Heston does to his guns. I am afraid you will have to pry it away from my cold, dead hands.

I just kind of assumed that this convo dovetailed into the football thing. If it didn't I apologize for the last paragraph. I vowed to stop reading the MisLeader in 2014 so I read virtually none of it, but it looked interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  So does anyone believe that Missouri State, or any other current Valley members, can or will duplicate the WSU success? If say 3 other Valley members achieved that would that be enough to shelve the realignment talk or would those programs also jump on the looking for a better conference situation train as well? Clearly this will not happen overnight.

Will WSU be able to sustain its success? I think so but it will require strong leadership. WSU certainly can not let its facilities fall behind like it did prior to the Roundhouse Rennaissance. I think we have that but Dr. Bardo is not a young man and who knows how long Gregg Marshall will want to coach. So good succession choices down the line will be critical.

Our most immediate need may be to determine who will head up the Athletic Department on a permanent basis. Maybe that will be Darren Boatright and maybe someone else. Either way WSU needs to get that right for the long term health of the program. Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt on that subject?
                  Even if just UNI can get up to our level of sustained success, and one other team get to UNI's current level, I'd feel a lot better about staying. Sustained success is the key word. Not 4 year cycles (or 4+ years of constant bottom feeding).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                    Even if just UNI can get up to our level of sustained success, and one other team get to UNI's current level, I'd feel a lot better about staying. Sustained success is the key word. Not 4 year cycles (or 4+ years of constant bottom feeding).
                    Yes - if just three or four other schools in the Valley would commit resources and efforts to mimic WSU's performance over the past five years no realignment is necessary. IMO three schools have already begun the effort - UNI, Illinois State and SIU. Now if one other MVC school (especially Bradley) would return to its glory years then the MVC would have five high quality teams and be a great conference deserving of multiple bids to the Big Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                      It really pains me to see the hometown newspaper writing an article like that. Not that it isn't a worthy topic of conversation but it sort of feels like finding an essay from your mom about how you can be like the cool kids in school if you do such and such. No thanks, mom. I don't want them to think I am trying to emulate them even if they have the right recipe.

I am not sure it is possible to be frank. It is much easier without football to punch above your weight in a sport like basketball. For some the simple retort to my last sentence would be "well eliminate football. duh." but I don't think that is the right tact. I cling to football like Charlton Heston does to his guns. I am afraid you will have to pry it away from my cold, dead hands.

I just kind of assumed that this convo dovetailed into the football thing. If it didn't I apologize for the last paragraph. I vowed to stop reading the MisLeader in 2014 so I read virtually none of it, but it looked interesting.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Schools that can: UNI, ISU, SIU, MSU, Bradley(?).
                        Schools that will: To the level of Wichita achieving a final four? Probably none. However, no reason those schools can't get to the level of say a Dayton where a sweet 16 isn't unheard of.

Comment

Originally posted by isubirds89 View Post
                          Schools that can: UNI, ISU, SIU, MSU, Bradley(?).
                          Schools that will: To the level of Wichita achieving a final four? Probably none. However, no reason those schools can't get to the level of say a Dayton where a sweet 16 isn't unheard of.
                          Don't you have better things to do? Like making fun of sexual assaults, you hypocritical POS?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Step 1: fire Lusk
                            Step 2: hire best small major coach you can find
                            Step 3: Pay said coach whatever it takes to stay if he's successful

Comment

If the subject is MBB, then nothing is going to change as long as WSU spends nearly twice as much as the #2 MVC MBB program, and basically three times as much as conference average. Across all levels of sports - stick and ball, motorsports, whatever - there is a high correlation between spending and success.

WSU MBB spends similar to their comparable set - Gonzaga, Big East, top of A10/AAC/MWC. Most of the MVC spends at the MAC or Summit or Sun Belt level. Not terribly shocking then that we perform like the former, and most of the balance of the MVC performs like the latter.
                              Last edited by SHOCKvalue; May 13, 2016, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X