2016 NBA Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 NBA Draft

Seems like we could use a unified thread for updates since we have a couple of players with a chance at being selected on June 23.

Ron and Fred were both elevated significantly in Chad Ford's latest release of his Top 100 prospects for the 2016 Draft (updated today) - Ron now sits at 49, and Fred is at 59. Both of those rankings would slot late in the 2nd round.

Best of luck to both of these young men as they seek to impress in the coming months. It would be amazing to watch one or both of them have their name called.

Do the combines start soon or closer to draft date? Will they both be participating in the combines?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I think if either of them is drafted, it will be Baker late in the second round. Neither had Sr. seasons likely to appeal to NBA scouts.

I think VanVleet gets an audition as an undrafted free agent and a contract. Fred has a long history of overcoming obstacles. I don't think he's done yet.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        I think if either of them is drafted, it will be Baker late in the second round. Neither had Sr. seasons likely to appeal to NBA scouts.

I think VanVleet gets an audition as an undrafted free agent and a contract. Fred has a long history of overcoming obstacles. I don't think he's done yet.
        I've long believed that if Fred gets a fair look in the NBA summer league, he will make a roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I don't think the NBA puts much stock into senior (or any other) season, per se. It is more about upside potential and physical attributes and "fitting the mold." Ron fits this criteria deicdedly more than Fred, but Fred overcomes obstacles and I look for him to stick somewhere. Getting with the right team/situation will be more imprtant for Fred, but as we saw with Celanthony, where one goes matters immensely.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I think the current workouts and the combine will move both guys up draft boards. I don't know if it will be enough or not. Either way, I think both play significant minutes in the summer league games and are on a roster next season. I also wonder if guys like Tekele can come back to play in the summer league to be seen if they are playing overseas. I'm not sure how that part of it works.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Agree, if college performance were a major factor, you wouldn't see all the "one and done" underperformers selected in the first round.

Comment

I believe Fred can overcome the obstacles but he's going to have to take the long road to the League (ala Adrian Griffin)

Comment

Reading online that VanVleet (and Yogi Ferrel) only made it on the Combine "alternate" list, so he won't be there unless others decline.

******* just confirmed that Baker received an invite though.
                  Last edited by Stickboy46; April 30, 2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    Reading online that VanVleet (and Yogi Ferrel) only made it on the Combine "alternate" list, so he won't be there unless others decline.

******* just confirmed that Baker received an invite though.
                    Seems like there are usually a few dropouts due to injury, illness or otherwise - hopefully FVV gets a call and is able to make it on short notice.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                      I also wonder if guys like Tekele can come back to play in the summer league to be seen if they are playing overseas. I'm not sure how that part of it works.
                      You do see some overseas and some D-League guys playing in the Summer League. I hope both Ron and Fred get some run in Vegas rather than Orlando. Summer League basketball at Thomas and Mack is a fun time and you can't go wrong with seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                        Seems like there are usually a few dropouts due to injury, illness or otherwise - hopefully FVV gets a call and is able to make it on short notice.
                        Not seen this anywhere where Fred is a alternate. Hope he gets a shot. Just don't think it will be at the combine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                          Not seen this anywhere where Fred is a alternate. Hope he gets a shot. Just don't think it will be at the combine.
                          Saw this on Facebook. Don't know if it is legit, but it says FVV is an alternate.image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                            Saw this on Facebook. Don't know if it is legit, but it says FVV is an alternate.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3709[/ATTACH]
                            Hope your right.

Comment

He'd be a really good "alternative". Shiesh....
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                              X